E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Wash / Wax / Detailing / Cleaning Supplies > Piano Black Trim....sooo many scratches!! Help...plzz?

05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

Piano Black Trim....sooo many scratches!! Help...plzz?

I have piano black trim inside, and it has a million faint scratches - a few bigger ones too...i always use a new/clean cloth to wipe it n dont apply pressure, but it gets too easily scratched...

Does anyone know a way to remove the scratches? buff them out? any products?

appreciate your time n help!! Thankss
      05-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Buff it out with some scratch remover product (ScratchX would work?)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Buff it out with some scratch remover product (ScratchX would work?)
Hope it would work, i thought of that but thought it would only work on painted surfaces like car exteriors?
      05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Well, the concept of anything shiny and glossy is the same in terms of removing scratches. You're really removing a very fine layer so that the scratches don't reflect light. The car body has a layer of clear coat over the color coat so when you use a scratch remover product, it's taking off the clear coat.

Actually what worked for the clear plastic cover for the spedometer (since I accidentally made a deep scratch with my iron ring) is Brasso. Just apply Brasso to microfiber cloth and rub it over the scratch. You'll have to several runs though (don't expect to get it out right away without some effort).

I use Brasso on a lot of things without any problems. It might be easiest to remove the trim from the car to polish it (or you'll risk getting the polish all over the car).

Edit: just remembered the name of another product that's similar to Brasso but specifically for plastics in cars: Meguiar's PlastX.

Last edited by Andy M; 05-04-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

+1

Quote:
Well, the concept of anything shiny and glossy is the same in terms of removing scratches. You're really removing a very fine layer so that the scratches don't reflect light. The car body has a layer of clear coat over the color coat so when you use a scratch remover product, it's taking off the clear coat.

Actually what worked for the clear plastic cover for the spedometer (since I accidentally made a deep scratch with my iron ring) is Brasso. Just apply Brasso to microfiber cloth and rub it over the scratch. You'll have to several runs though (don't expect to get it out right away without some effort).

I use Brasso on a lot of things without any problems. It might be easiest to remove the trim from the car to polish it (or you'll risk getting the polish all over the car).
      05-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I would look for something like they used to make for removing scratches on ipods. This used to be a big problem with the first gen, I think they still have the plastic scratch removing stuff out there though. It may be a little more gentle than scratchX.
      05-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140443
      05-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Edit: just remembered the name of another product that's similar to Brasso but specifically for plastics in cars: Meguiar's PlastX.
Thank you so so much for your help and tips....i just bought the Meguiar's PlastX now online, as i always use Meguiars products and have lots of them at home, so also good thing to add to the collection!!

my car is going to bmw tomorrow anyways for things they messed up when they had my car 3 weeks ago for a little leak in the roof. They scratched my piano black trim very deeply when they cleaned it - so they will be replacing it...but i need to polish out the small scratches on the other trim parts that wont be replaced....so thanks for the tips!

And btw....just thought id add the list of things BMW messed up when they were sorting out the roof:
  • Piano black trim (the top part above glove box) - Should be getting replaced
  • Curbed two of the wheels - Getting replaced
  • Broke the rear side black trim around the windows and GLUED it back on with glue gun + slightly dripping!! - Getting replaced
  • Made a dent on the inside rear panel when they removed the roof - Getting replaced
  • Few more small bits n bobs to sort out like my creaking chair!! - Getting sorted

Yeah.....this dealer sucks!!! not to mention they handed me back the car with 2miles of pertrol left!!! (which i have mentioned to main BMW and they said that is appaling and will be sorted with manager)
      05-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Btw....heres the trim they scratched and will replace!

I think the guy must have used a dirty cloth when he wiped it?
Attached Images

05-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thats why i would not get that trim, as beautiful as it is when its new, any surface scratch will be an eye sore, but I have to say I love the way it looks when its really clean
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
nelsonlin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 330i Sedan

Scratch X Works Really Well!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
rotaryboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT

Try some Klasse All In One.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
wow piano black really is sensitive...good candidate for clear bra?

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep
Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
wow piano black really is sensitive...good candidate for clear bra?
+1, that's what I was thinking, haha.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

i just got back from the dealer today.....and they will replace them for free!!

after that i will take extra care with them, myt even wrap them in clear bra?
      07-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Wrap the trim in CF fabric.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

There is a product called ice creme. try it. google it.

link

http://www.radtech.us/products/IceCreme.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
Karlsbad
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 550i

How To Remove Car Scratches in plastic trim

Preventing scratches in plastics:

NEVER wipe ANY surface interior or exterior with a dry cloth....period. High quality, dedicated to your car, micro fiber towels, micro fiber wash mitts, applicator pads etc are the only type of fiber that should ever touch your BMW....but never dry. Always wash after use...never use soiled MF towels for a new job.

I have not used cotton for car care in years...its just not as safe or effiecent as a high quality micro fiber.

Basicly using a dry towel you are pushing the dust and grit along rather than picking it up. That is why MF cloths are so amazing when used properly...they actually pull grit into the fibers and trap it on contact, for car surfaces (plastic or painted) you want to use some type of emlusifier (found in waterless carwash products) to break the molecular bond so the grit is suspended safely and picked up gently by the micro fibers. This is why a high quality waterless car wash used properly will not scratch a finish...painted or plastic.

The finest waterless carwash products have the added benifit of having a acrylic polymer sealant ingrediant therefore putting a protective barrier on the painted surface or plastic surface. They also have anti static properties...which help to repel dust and grit.

I have lost track of how many times I have seen people at out door car shows that should know better than wipe a dry paint surface with a dry micro fiber towel. I have seen it done even at Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance....the Audi R8 concept car...by the Audi guy...I ran up and gave him my waterless carwash/acrylic polymer spray and two of my professional micro fiber buffing towels to clean the car from the dust and grit that settled on it.

Interior plastic or painted trim is no different...always use a high quality micro fiber towel and preferably high quality waterless carwash... for a interior I spray the towel first...so you dont overspray on the interior...thats the proper technique to apply any product to trim inside a car...put the product on the towel or applicator then apply to the trim piece.

Removing Scratches in plastics:

If you have scratches in high gloss plastic trim, there are products out there for plastics, however you can use (one poster mentioned brasso) a fine polish designed for a painted surface but the polish must be in in the catagory of removing scratches of 2500-3500 grit scratches preferably a pro diminishing formula (progressively breaks down into finer particles until it diminishes and stops working--this style formula will impart a very high luster all by itself) verses a straight grit polish that will stay at a given grit the entire time. This is why Brasso can work nicely...it is formulated to remove very fine scratches on delicate silver and brass items. Brasso is a staight grit delicate polish, its not a diminishing polish.

NOTE: A diminishing style polish is what many pros use to retore polycarbonate plastic headlight lenses after wetsanding with 2500-3500 grit.

Protecting painted and plastic surfaces:

Plastic is no differnent than painted surfaces as far as protecting it...I apply a paint sealant to any vulnerable plastic trim part...it makes it slick and resist scuffs...also grit and dust will not stick and it will clean easier next time. Professional paint sealants are acrylic polymer formulations that bond directly to the surface an give a very slick finish as well as UV protection.

Always better safe than sorry...if possible test in a inconspicuous area to see how the plastic responds to the polish you have chosen.

Here is blog post on some technical stuff bout micro fibers. http://www.carscratchremoverblog.com...ratch-removal/
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #19
bmw246
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

High gloss black trim

Hey guys. So I have the black trim around the windows and I have some very fine scratches only seen when light is shined on them. After reading the thread, I see some scratch X and Plastic X suggestions. I used scratch X on part of the rear that had some high gloss black trim on it and it got rid of the light scratches but it faded the trim. After a good polish, the fade went away. Is there something else I could use that won't fade the trim? Plastic X better?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw246 View Post
Hey guys. So I have the black trim around the windows and I have some very fine scratches only seen when light is shined on them. After reading the thread, I see some scratch X and Plastic X suggestions. I used scratch X on part of the rear that had some high gloss black trim on it and it got rid of the light scratches but it faded the trim. After a good polish, the fade went away. Is there something else I could use that won't fade the trim? Plastic X better?

Thanks!

Here you go

http://www.radtech.com/products/icecreme

you are welcome !

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
ClaudeColp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryboy View Post
Try some Klasse All In One.
This stuff is amazing 1+ for Klasse system
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Side trim after my detailing master gave it a couple of whatever's with his thing. Be

Simple when you know how! Apparently.
Attached Images