E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Cable for coding

03-23-2020, 03:33 AM   #1
Maniac_335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Cable for coding

So recently my fmr3 looks bad I'm tryna buy a wire to code from a computer but I don't know what wire I need any help would be great also is it worth it to buy a used fmr
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:49 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac_335 View Post
So recently my fmr3 looks bad I'm tryna buy a wire to code from a computer but I don't know what wire I need any help would be great also is it worth it to buy a used fmr
Bit confused here, are you looking to repair a failed frm3 or you're looking to replace the frm and code the replacement to your car? What symptoms are you having since it seems the frm doesn't seem completely failed.

For repairing a failed/bricked/not responding frm you'll need some hardware, not just a cable that you plug into the car and laptop. Xprog is popular, vvdi, there's a thread out there on frm3 resurrection where they talk about the hardware you can buy to fix them. While there's walkthroughs on this it's very super simple and I don't recommend it if you don't have any experience with hardware or computers. It's not as simple as plugging something into the car and pressing a fix button. Requires taking the frm out of the car, pulling the panels off and soldering some wires into the board or using a clip to attach to the board but as mentioned earlier there is a full thread online describing the process, just google "frm3 resurrection" and you'll find it.

For coding a replacement frm module to the car all you need is a windows laptop or MacBook running windows and a kdcan cable. Kdcan cables can be found easily on amazon or eBay. If you'd like to get a good brand one that won't fail on you I recommend the bimmergeeks one.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
Diawal91
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Bit confused here, are you looking to repair a failed frm3 or you're looking to replace the frm and code the replacement to your car? What symptoms are you having since it seems the frm doesn't seem completely failed.

For repairing a failed/bricked/not responding frm you'll need some hardware, not just a cable that you plug into the car and laptop. Xprog is popular, vvdi, there's a thread out there on frm3 resurrection where they talk about the hardware you can buy to fix them. While there's walkthroughs on this it's very super simple and I don't recommend it if you don't have any experience with hardware or computers. It's not as simple as plugging something into the car and pressing a fix button. Requires taking the frm out of the car, pulling the panels off and soldering some wires into the board or using a clip to attach to the board but as mentioned earlier there is a full thread online describing the process, just google "frm3 resurrection" and you'll find it.

For coding a replacement frm module to the car all you need is a windows laptop or MacBook running windows and a kdcan cable. Kdcan cables can be found easily on amazon or eBay. If you'd like to get a good brand one that won't fail on you I recommend the bimmergeeks one.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
We offer KDCAN cables, with free coding software install.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd get the Bimmergeeks cable and protool software

https://www.bimmergeeks.net
Appreciate 0