E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Built motor: Fueling and knock issues resolved

06-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Built motor: Fueling and knock issues resolved

I posted a while back, running into some superknocking and what appeared to be false knock issues, thought I'd share what the issue was.

We had hit a limit with the tuning around the fueling. The trims were bad, but when more fuel was added, superknocking occurred. This was fixed when I replaced my old generation 1 split second controller and PI fuel injectors with a new set of Bosch driven by a Reflex flex fuel setup. Trims are great, hitting around 29psi now with no issues at all.

False knock was addressed with the adjustable pentiometers below. I spent a fair amount of time figuring out the "sweet spot" between not getting false knock and not getting the code that the knock sensor was having an issue (which happens if you push the pentiometers too far), also, I wanted the greatest amount of knock sensor muffling possibl, while not causing the knock sensor code to be thrown. So, I'll save anyone with a built motor (closed deck block especally) and say, put it around 40%.

Now my only issue seems to be hitting the limit of the PS2 high flow turbos... which I'll live with for quite a while; the car is an absolutely beast and I couldn't be much happier, can hardly wait to get it dyno'd! With the AWD it's quite a rocket...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5MWYMB...roduct_details

Latest Log: https://datazap.me/u/terryeaton/log-...og=0&data=3-21

https://youtube.com/channel/UC_kL3RvFSGv9QmTVt6787gg

Last edited by Quick335XI; 06-17-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick335XI View Post
I posted a while back, running into some superknocking and what appeared to be false knock issues, thought I'd share what the issue was.

We had hit a limit with the tuning around the fueling. The trims were bad, but when more fuel was added, superknocking occurred. This was fixed when I replaced my old generation 1 split second controller and PI fuel injectors with a new set of Bosch driven by a Reflex flex fuel setup. Trims are great, hitting around 29psi now with no issues at all.

False knock was addressed with the adjustable pentiometers below. I spent a fair amount of time figuring out the "sweet spot" between not getting false knock and not getting the code that the knock sensor was having an issue (which happens if you push the pentiometers too far), also, I wanted the greatest amount of knock sensor muffling possibl, while now causing the knock sensor code to be thrown. So, I'll save anyone with a built motor (closed deck block especally) and say, put it around 40%.

Now my only issue seems to be hitting the limit of the PS2 high flow turbos... which I'll live with for quite a while; the car is an absolutely beast and I couldn't be much happier, can hardly wait to get it dyno'd! With the AWD it's quite a rocket...

Awesome! Nice to know those POTS work well.

Who did you head work?

Can't wait to see the dyno!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post

Who did you head work?

I have to be honest, I'm not sure who did the head work; the guy that built the motor ran across them in his dealings and said it was a stage 4 race head, with oversized ARP head studs so we had to machine the block bigger too.

now I'm like, oh man my turbos are limiting me I need biggers ones or a Single! Lol j/k. I'm going to enjoy this for a while...

Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      06-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

False knock was addressed with the adjustable pentiometers below. I spent a fair amount of time figuring out the "sweet spot" between not getting false knock and not getting the code that the knock sensor was having an issue (which happens if you push the pentiometers too far), also, I wanted the greatest amount of knock sensor muffling possibl, while now causing the knock sensor code to be thrown. So, I'll save anyone with a built motor (closed deck block especally) and say, put it around 40%.

Careful with cheap pots, they may not survive long and vibrations may cause you some headaches.

I just modified some donor sensors, need to get this in the car this week...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      06-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
Careful with cheap pots, they may not survive long and vibrations may cause you some headaches.

I just modified some donor sensors, need to get this in the car this week...
Keep us posted! Yeah this was a big challenge. My understanding is the forged pistons and esp the closed deck block cause alot of fake noise, and I have both of those so... Jake at Motiv told me, these will reduce most of the "false" knock but still let real knock thru, so that's good. I was getting like up to -8 timing pulls before these went on. I'm at almost all 0's now. And I know i'm not getting actual knock... plugs are clean as a whistle, fueling and everything is on point, etc.

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #6
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted! Yeah this was a big challenge. My understanding is the forged pistons and esp the closed deck block cause alot of fake noise, and I have both of those so... Jake at Motiv told me, these will reduce most of the "false" knock but still let real knock thru, so that's good. I was getting like up to -8 timing pulls before these went on. I'm at almost all 0's now. And I know i'm not getting actual knock... plugs are clean as a whistle, fueling and everything is on point, etc.
yeah, ije0s is a pain. I have a similar setup, forged internals, closed deck, cams, ported head, single turbo, etc. running straight e85, I was getting loads of corrections and super knock shadow codes at 20psi. Adding some nylon washers around the sensors improved up until like 28psi. Hopefully this will be the end of the troubles. I really wish more of the knock tables were defined in the xdf for ije0s. I don't have any of the damos files or the time to hunt them down and add them. Jake said he was going to publish a bunch of tables a while ago, then never did
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #7
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah, ije0s is a pain. (
What's the best version DME to have?

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 03:01 AM   #8
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

That log looks great .. those WGDC lines are beautiful. Salute to the tuning it's impressive. Your fueling looks amazing also. Did you do a build post or anything, or is this secret sauce ? FWIW very well done sir, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
That log looks great .. those WGDC lines are beautiful. Salute to the tuning it's impressive. Your fueling looks amazing also. Did you do a build post or anything, or is this secret sauce ? FWIW very well done sir, in my opinion.
Thanks man!!! I had a build thread somewhere on here. Only thing the motor doesn't have us cams, was talked out if that as it not being worth the cost for gain. The Vu brothers in fort worth worked their magic in the car. They're almost legendary around here. .

As for tuning, I feel bad because Jon Russell JSRtuning did the tuning and he got sent in a wild goose chase for like six MONTHS trying to find out why the car wouldn't tune ... Trims were always way off, timing pulls, and I'd get superknocking if he tried to add more fuel theru the PI. Anyway it got to the point where I was like dang, maybe it's the PI injectors, they're generation 1 split second controller and 3 year old injectors, that was like the last thing we could possibly think of we hadn't tried.

Long switched me over to Reflex and a flex fuel setup a month or so ago with new Bosch injectors. Jon got the tuning where it is now in that log in like four tries.... No sweat.

Yea car is quite an animal esp with the AWD! First is scary fast lol. Sadly, I had shoulder surgery yesterday and won't be able to drive a manual for a good 3-4 weeks

As SOON as I can... She's going on the dunl 💪

Last edited by Quick335XI; 06-17-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      06-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm testing some different knock tables this weekend to see if I can avoid using pots inline with the knock sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:31 PM   #11
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

tuning settings were a success. I posted some early details on spool st, refining more now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 11:22 PM   #12
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

great success.

https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/n54-false-knock-solved-in-tuning-even-for-built-closed-deck-motors.8363/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #13
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
great success.

https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/n54-false-knock-solved-in-tuning-even-for-built-closed-deck-motors.8363/
Can you elaborate some on what this is? I would worry a bit about doing this thru tuning, tbh... the pentiometers are adjustable and you can vary how sensitive you want the knock sensors to be, and my understanding is around 40% is good; anything below is noise/false anything above you start running into real knock...

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you elaborate some on what this is? I would worry a bit about doing this thru tuning, tbh... the pentiometers are adjustable and you can vary how sensitive you want the knock sensors to be, and my understanding is around 40% is good; anything below is noise/false anything above you start running into real knock...
It's mainly adjusting the preamplification of the knock sensor signal. It's essentially doing what the pots are doing, except not adding a point of failure. pots do not always do well with vibration, high temps, etc. You can also adjust the minimum noise level.
      06-30-2022, 01:25 PM   #15
Quick335XI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post

I called to set up a dyno appt and they were booked out til mid-august

Appreciate 0