E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335i Streetable Drift car Build Thread

03-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #23
Puckett
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

So I've drove a couple more events since the last post. I learned a bunch, getting to drive in the rain and the dry really helped me understand what the car wants to do while in drift. I also studied the "How to Drift" youtube series that I produced with Chelsea Denofa right before going to the event. That helped having the notes fresh in my mind. Here is a clip from my best lap at the February SA Drift event. The course started off really slow then picked up speed through out, made you work for it a bit. I think I did around 25 to 30 laps that day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsrmh9qy6q...26_17.mp4?dl=0

Last weekend I attended a drift clinic (Lone star drift) in Houston with Chelsea Denofa. They had a classroom course on chassis setup and lots of other useful info on Friday night. Saturday we were able to drive a skid pad setup and technical road course setup at the Houston Police academy. Chelsea did one on one training with a handful of guys. It was pretty cool to see all the progression. I was able to start figuring out how to put the car where I want it, so that was pretty exciting. Going off course at the police academy was not so forgiving. I broke a wheel going off course and coming back on. It rained off and on all weekend making it super muddy.

Before the clinic I got my steering wheel mounted which helped with the overall feel inside the car. Had to zip tie my controls to the wheel temporally for access to the tune. I have the bluetooth stuff for JB4 to install. I was hoping to mount my seat but we needed more time to make a bracket. Took a photo of it sitting in the car. Ran out of time. My buddy Alex and I made a handbrake extension out of a old bike handlebar at the track Saturday morning. Worked amazingly.

Wore my brake pads down and broke a front wheel. No real damage to report though. Up next is an oil change, nut and bolt, racing seat, JB4 Bluetooth, intake filters, and exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
Puckett
Rep

Here are some photos from that event.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #25
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Keep em coming!
      03-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #26
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Saw Chelsea driving your car on one of his youtube video's. Seems like it slides pretty well.

Any thoughts on lock mods? I saw wisefab recently started making e9x front end's but Chelsea shits on them in all of his videos for some reason. Glad to see someone trying this out before i could give it a chance. They have plenty of power to get around i think it's just a matter of engine reliability. Looking forward to hearing you're experiences!
      04-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #27
Puckett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Saw Chelsea driving your car on one of his youtube video's. Seems like it slides pretty well.

Any thoughts on lock mods? I saw wisefab recently started making e9x front end's but Chelsea shits on them in all of his videos for some reason. Glad to see someone trying this out before i could give it a chance. They have plenty of power to get around i think it's just a matter of engine reliability. Looking forward to hearing you're experiences!
Yeah Chelsea is a buddy of mine, he's been helping me setup the car and with driving instruction. He seems to like it!

SLR is working on a angle kit for the e90. Hopefully sometime in the near future Chelsea and I will be putting it on my car and testing it. With video of course.
The power to weight ratio is pretty good! I think everyones concern is the reliability. I have done 5 events so far (around 30-40laps each event) and haven't had any real problems yet. Car has 109,xxx miles.
So far we had to replace the water pump and power steering pump. (PSP has been whining since I got the car 6 months ago, just now finally about toast.)
Had to re adjust the E brake once. With the Texas summer coming in hot I will be looking at cooling mods next. I attended Lone Star Drift rd2 in Mineral Wells Texas last weekend, we had nice 80 degree weather and a good breeze but was getting pretty warm after 3 or 4 laps(the track was setup for 80mph entry hot laps)
Mineral Wells airport "track" has a big back section to cool the car down afterwards. Video coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
Puckett
Rep

Drifting at Lone Star Drift rd2 Mineral Wells Texas

Last weekend I went to Lone Star Drift rd2 to have some fun with my friends. Its a two day drift event with a Texas Street Legal comp on Saturday and ProAm comp on Sunday and lots of open course hot laps. The course is laid out on a huge skid pad at Mineral Wells Airport. They set up jersey wall style water barriers for outer/inner zones and help mark off the course. This track is big enough for cars to do 100mph entries. I was averaging around 80mph.
First few laps I was having trouble with understeer and fixed it with lowering the tire pressure a bunch in the front and little in the rear. Changed the way I was initiating from a clutch kick to e brake. I did around 40-50 laps over the weekend and then drove the car home 4.5 hours back to San Antonio with out any problems. We trailered my car up there but a buddy of mine (who drove his s14 4.5hrs to the event) wrecked his car into a barrier leaving his car underivable on the street, so I offered him my spot on the trailer.

These are a couple of my better laps from the second day of the two day event. More video coming soon.
https://goo.gl/photos/QsyBaj1q61K6wDpL8

^does that link work to view the video? Is there a better way to share video here?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #29
Globoy
Rep
Drives: E92 335I 6MT

nice build I've been contemplating welding my diff, your the first person I've seen do it with an e9x would you recommend it for daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #30
Puckett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globoy View Post
nice build I've been contemplating welding my diff, your the first person I've seen do it with an e9x would you recommend it for daily driving?
Thanks! I don't mind driving this this car on the daily with a welded diff. It doesn't bind up near as much as I though it might. Of course, tight turns at low speeds it chirps the tires a little. The traction control still works and it will kick in much easier after it is welded. I had the car nearly shut off on me while turning in an intersection once because the traction control was kicking in. Id recommend one button press every time you drive or disabling it completely. IMO The fun you can have is worth all the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #31
HCMW Adam
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I love when people do mods and then rock that shit!
      09-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #32
Puckett
Rep

Its been a while since I updated this. Still kicking quite well, had my first tandem incident last month, smashed the front up a little bit and bent the LCA. Needed a new, front bumper cover, control arm and headlight. Luckily had all those spares.

Car hasn't changed to much. Did catless down pipes to a single exit exhaust with JDM fart can which I'm sure BMW enthusiast will love...
I'll uploaded some new photos/video soon.
      09-08-2019, 02:24 AM   #33
Dealwithit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

How’s the car been holding up? Any issues with limp mode or trans synchros yet? Also how’s the SLR kit been working out? Hope all is well 👌🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #34
jpy97ggg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Did you do anything to get more steering angle ? And how's the e brake holding up
Appreciate 0