E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help on wiring radio off delay

10-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335Xi 6MT

Help on wiring radio off delay

Okay so I have a 2006 BMW E90 with the Professional radio.

I like how some of the newer BMW's keep the radio on when you exit the car until you lock the car, then it shuts off. On my car, as soon as I open the door after turning the car off, the radio shuts off.
I would like to find a way to either wire something or code something through NCS expert to make the radio stay on until the doors are locked.

In my Audi TT I have the power wire going to my interior lights wired to my radio remote wire so when I unlock the car, the radio turns on, and when I open the door, the radio stays on until the car is locked. I also have the same power wire running into a relay wired to my headlights so it acts as a coming/leaving home function since these cars never came with that.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of implementing this idea in the bmw without frying anything, I know that the wiring is a bit more complex in the bmw because of the amplifier and everything but I'd still like to make something work. Shoot me some ideas with anything you could think of.
      10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I would investigate a coding solution before I started hacking power wires into things.

the radio needs the bus up and running to work properly, so I'm not sure what other modules you'd also have to hotwire to achieve that.

This seems like an option that should be fixable with a software solution.
Also, what's your battery health like? The car will shut off accessories more quickly if the battery volatge or health is poor.
My comfort access stuff simply didn't work after it sat overnight until I replaced the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

It's not about providing power to the radio, it's about providing the correct canbus message. The radio is on the Kcan bus, and receives a message that tells it to be on, you would need to duplicate that message, and put it on the Kcan bus. Look into how people run the radio on the bench, because to do this they would need to generate this message.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Mine doesn't turn off till I lock the car an it's always
been like that, and its an 06. I can double or long press the off button
to turn it off. Maybe you are pressing the start button to long
to turn the car off and it turns off the radio to.

do you have a Car manual?

Probably because I have Comfort Access.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-09-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I would investigate a coding solution before I started hacking power wires into things.

the radio needs the bus up and running to work properly, so I'm not sure what other modules you'd also have to hotwire to achieve that.

This seems like an option that should be fixable with a software solution.
Also, what's your battery health like? The car will shut off accessories more quickly if the battery volatge or health is poor.
My comfort access stuff simply didn't work after it sat overnight until I replaced the battery.
Right, I figured the wiring was going to be much more complicated than the Audi. My first choice would be to code it through NCS Expert as I already have done some coding with my Bimmergeeks Cable but i figured I'd ask around to get some opinions.

My battery seems okay to me, when I got the car, there was a used battery in the trunk that im assuming was the original battery to the car. When i'm coding with the radio on and ignition on but not started, it takes a pretty long time to start cutting accessories and give me the battery light, normally it will start right up though.

I might load some trace files from my car with NCS and see if anything eye catching pops up that could relate to the radio power options then report back and see what you think.
      10-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Mine doesn't turn off till I lock the car an it's always
been like that, and its an 06. I can double or long press the off button
to turn it off. Maybe you are pressing the start button to long
to turn the car off and it turns off the radio to.

do you have a Car manual?

Probably because I have Comfort Access.
Yeah it's an auto but I can't start the car without putting the key in the slot so i would assume that I don't have comfort access. The radio will stay on until the door is opened after the car is turned off.
      10-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Christian_E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
It's not about providing power to the radio, it's about providing the correct canbus message. The radio is on the Kcan bus, and receives a message that tells it to be on, you would need to duplicate that message, and put it on the Kcan bus. Look into how people run the radio on the bench, because to do this they would need to generate this message.
Yeah I'd rather not just hotwire if there's another option as far as coding, I'll do some searching to see if there are any values editable in NCS to make the radio turn off when locked.
      10-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Always make sure you have a strong car battery before you
do anything as it can through you off.

The IBS system can turn things off like the Radio if the battery
is weak.

Read about the IBS in the first of the following links

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU

If you don't have comfort access pulling the key out probably means the radio will be turned off like it is in
most cars. I would go to the coding board to seek a coding solution.
Appreciate 0