E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > B12 Front strut assembly question

08-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
B12 Front strut assembly question

Hey all,

I've received a set of B12 today and began tinkering with assembling it.

First of all, I ordered all components related to refreshing front strut:

- Dust collar
- Spacer
- Top hat
- Top/bottom spring pads
- Upper spring plate
- Washer gasket

I ran into my first problem.

The OEM lower spring pad has a couple of ribs on the bottom, so it won't sit totally flush on the B8 strut of B12 kit.

I can see you have to align the lower spring pad's rubber nipple to one of the holes on the strut. But the ribs (2 ribs, to be exact) have no where on the strut to be aligned. Do I just shave the ribs off flat and carry on?

My second problem is identifying which side is up and bottom on the washer & dust collar.

The washer (Part #31306763966) have a flat side and domed side, with a round black marking.

My first guess is that the domed side with round, black marking is the top?

Also, the orientation of the dust collar.. is the ribbed edge suppose to be seated onto the top mount bearings? (So its like a very shallow cup...)

It is a bit difficult to explain without any pictures but I am pretty sure someone else had this question in their heads while assembling the kit?

I don't want to be disassembling it later after finding out I've assembled it incorrectly

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
Hey all,

I've received a set of B12 today and began tinkering with assembling it.

First of all, I ordered all components related to refreshing front strut:

- Dust collar
- Spacer
- Top hat
- Top/bottom spring pads
- Upper spring plate
- Washer gasket

I ran into my first problem.

The OEM lower spring pad has a couple of ribs on the bottom, so it won't sit totally flush on the B8 strut of B12 kit.

I can see you have to align the lower spring pad's rubber nipple to one of the holes on the strut. But the ribs (2 ribs, to be exact) have no where on the strut to be aligned. Do I just shave the ribs off flat and carry on?

My second problem is identifying which side is up and bottom on the washer & dust collar.

The washer (Part #31306763966) have a flat side and domed side, with a round black marking.

My first guess is that the domed side with round, black marking is the top?

Also, the orientation of the dust collar.. is the ribbed edge suppose to be seated onto the top mount bearings? (So its like a very shallow cup...)

It is a bit difficult to explain without any pictures but I am pretty sure someone else had this question in their heads while assembling the kit?

I don't want to be disassembling it later after finding out I've assembled it incorrectly

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Go to bmwfans.info

You will find all the diagrams you need for correct orientation.

Are you sure you have the right rubber spring mounts? When you pull it apart check and see if the old spring mounts match the new ones.
Appreciate 1
sprp8596.00
      09-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Go to bmwfans.info

You will find all the diagrams you need for correct orientation.

Are you sure you have the right rubber spring mounts? When you pull it apart check and see if the old spring mounts match the new ones.
Got it.

I think the conical shape will face the top hat bearing (Looks like E30s, E36s all had the same fundamental design)

Also, for the lower spring pad, I believe it is the latest part that is applicable to many cars, including E90 / E82, so I have a feeling that it has to do with the Bilstein struts' design

Thank you regardless!
Appreciate 0