E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > CIC Map update

09-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #23
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Id like to do that but cant find a simple way to do it. I dont want full android auto just a way to mirror the phone screen as the idrive screen is a better size and in the ideal position on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #24
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
I managed to update my CIC map even tho I have no tick in the bottom corner. However i have to say after using the TomTom Go app on my phone, i will stick to Tom Tom on my phone. It is far far superior to the BMW nav. Not bashing the BMW system but its old and not up to modern standards. One prime example i can think of and which really annoys me with the BMW nav is the fact that Tom Tom app when it tells me to turn direction it tells me the road number/name to turn into. So when you have a complicated road junction with multiple turnings you know exactly which road to take. The BMW nav just says turn left or right. This is especially helpful when on motorway junctions that have multiple exits, the BMW nav i find very sketchy here. Tom Tom gives far better instructions.

Now i just need to find a way to mirror my phone screen on my idrive screen.
Personal preferences of course but add split screen then put turn by turn directions on the split screen. Gives way more info than can see on the tomtom small phone screen and right in perfect viewing position. Gives lane guidance, turn by turn directions, easy overview of roundabout exits etc etc. Can even program a button to turn split screen on/off if don't need the extra detail
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #25
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided1 View Post
Personal preferences of course but add split screen then put turn by turn directions on the split screen. Gives way more info than can see on the tomtom small phone screen and right in perfect viewing position. Gives lane guidance, turn by turn directions, easy overview of roundabout exits etc etc. Can even program a button to turn split screen on/off if don't need the extra detail
I do use split screen on the BMW nav, however i still prefer the TomTom. The guidence is much better, I wish the BMW nav would give the name of the road you need to turn into at least.

You actually get more info on the TomTom Go app than you get in the split screen of the BMW nav. I went on a road trip to Bath a few weeks ago. I used my BMW nav to get there and the TomTom to get back, no contest, the TomTom was far better. At the end of the day its 2009 tech compared to 2020 tech so not surprising.

I agree that the NAV screen is far better than viewing on a phone screen, and its in just the right place. Hence why i want to mirror my phone screen on the idrive screen and have the audio speak over the radio as the BMW nav does.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #26
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Yeah the TomTom software on a dedicated device or tablet provides the best experience IMHO.

I have five different systems on different cars and the TomTom is still my preferred... it also incorporates red light cameras, congested area avoidance, etc...

The CIC does a decent job with the latter only in areas that provide traffic info on FM subcarriers. That is a one way report from the station to your car.

The TomTom does it anywhere there is cellular coverage as all the traveling vehicles report in their average speeds over cellular networks. This is bidirectional... an interesting system.
Appreciate 0