E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Dont drive a Tesla

04-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Dont drive a Tesla

If you're like me and love your combustion engine and think your e9x m3 is the fastest thing since sliced bread then I beg you to not drive a P90D.

My farther in law has been fixing to lease one for some time now and dragged me to check one out.

We went to the Tesla store / dealership or whatever you want to call it..... and got some product info and where entertained by a lecture how Tesa is the future of automobiles. AKA brain washing!

Then the test drive. My father-in-law took it slow, the car was supper quite, firm, and exactly what I expected from the model S. Then when it was my turn I asked about the ludicrous mode and to my awe was amazed how ludicrous it was. So much power in the form of torque. Its the most torque I have ever felt in my life. My m3 was a Civic compared to this thing. Anyway we concluded our session and I left the store with my jaw wide open.

Just thought id share my tesla experience.....So if speed/ acceleration is your thing in life, then be careful of this thing, it can prove to be highly addictive for some folk.
      04-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The E90 M3 has virtually no tq at a low RPM so it's really a bad comparison... the Tesla is indeed impressive but only up to a certain speed... it traps 115 mph in the 1/4 which is very respective, but if you drove a 335i/135i that can trap 120 and makes 450 lb ft of tq, you wouldn't be remotely as impressed... i think its all relative.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My friend has the Tesla, not unlike combustion engine to use Ludicrous mode the batteries have to be warmed up, which was surprising.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

Stop light to Stop light, and highway merges up to 85 are all that really count in your average Joe's ability to judge how fast a car is, under those parameters we suffer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

still prefer the M3 for the fun factor, spirited drives, track days, etc. for everything else the Tesla wins
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Nice best of both worlds....
      04-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3 View Post
Stop light to Stop light, and highway merges up to 85 are all that really count in your average Joe's ability to judge how fast a car is, under those parameters we suffer.
Key Word...

...and all those setup races online are exactly why Tesla is winning...
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Considering one of the biggest factors for me when choosing a car is the availability of manual transmission... electrics are out. Plus mondo torque is badass... mondo torque while you sit in silence in-front of a giant ipad... no quite as badass.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

It's an ideal commuter car but not an ideal sportscar.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If want to stay fanboi, the i3 I squirted around town had impressive face-stretching capacity light to light. Too bad its so damn fugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Isn't it like an iPhone, and appeals to the iPhone crowd? Meaning, there is no justification needed, people just want it and get it. With fuel as low as $1.639 in my area recently, there is no break-even. It's more of a statement to drive electric cars.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I test drove a Model S also and was really impressed by the car.

Impressed enough that I waited in line outside the Tesla store in March and put my $1,000 deposit down.

I plan to have 2 M3's... one with a V8 and a Tesla Model 3 possibly with ludicrous mode
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Isn't it like an iPhone, and appeals to the iPhone crowd? Meaning, there is no justification needed, people just want it and get it. With fuel as low as $1.639 in my area recently, there is no break-even. It's more of a statement to drive electric cars.
That's the case with ANY car above a Yaris.

I think the Tesla appeals to the tech crowd or anyone who wants to drive a spaceship. I have a friend who basically thinks more screens = more better no matter if its a car, a phone, a computer or a tshirt doesn't matter. He gets a chubby just thinking about the Tesla and that TV in the center console.

For me personally it doesn't do anything, the tech is cool and I would like to see it in other cars, but for that kind of $$ there's too many other cars I would choose. Don't get me wrong though, if they gave me a model s I would drive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

OP, what did those lease numbers look like?
      04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
That's the case with ANY car above a Yaris.

I think the Tesla appeals to the tech crowd or anyone who wants to drive a spaceship. I have a friend who basically thinks more screens = more better no matter if its a car, a phone, a computer or a tshirt doesn't matter. He gets a chubby just thinking about the Tesla and that TV in the center console.

For me personally it doesn't do anything, the tech is cool and I would like to see it in other cars, but for that kind of $$ there's too many other cars I would choose. Don't get me wrong though, if they gave me a model s I would drive it.
There's certain things I gravitate to....when you tell me a M2 has 19x10" rims in the back, I say whao, that's no joke, tell me more. Start finding out a lot of things mean business....i3, i8, Tesla, these imho are just because, they don't have to mean business for people to buy them....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

You are comparing cars at very different price ranges.
The new Tesla S P90D (the one with a 2.8 sec 0 to 60) has a starting price of $110,000 versus an M3 at $63,000, both before any options. At that price I would get a 911 for the same performance but a lot more enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Seems ironic but the Tesla always seems to get tested like a muscle car. People talk about the acceleration, then post videos of them accelerating in a straight line but has there ever been a test where it was compared on a road course? Seems like the abilities of the "sports" car are at it's best on a road course but this is exactly where the Model S doesn't want to go.

Maybe the S is great but I just haven't seen or read the tests.
      04-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
At that price I would get a 911 for the same performance
It depends on how you measure performance. Around a track an m3 is probably a lot faster than a P90D. It's fast in a straight line from standing start.
And Tesla probably knows that (as they are probably the only car manufacturer that simultaniously boasts about ultimate performance but doesnt show for instance a laptime on the nordschleife)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #19
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Can't say my testdrive was the same... The interior and options list was disappointing and my car costs almost a third and is ahead... I suspect the model 3 will finally get some sort of HUD or something (and boast about it being first because it's called a space ship view or something special) and it will actually be usable while driving (unlike the touchscreen down there...)

Other than that this chick tried to show off the ludicrous mode with sporty driving meaning constant accelerations and letting off (so braking for a Tesla) and it was pretty nauseating actually lol.. For some reason I didn't even feel the pull that much, I've had an X6M pull me in the seat much more but I guess that's my butt dyno talking and possibly being skewed by the engine music ! ... Or they made the seats extra thick so you can feel more pulling-in going on

I go Iphone hype crazy sometimes, but Tesla has, so far, failed to do the same!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If want to stay fanboi, the i3 I squirted around town had impressive face-stretching capacity light to light. Too bad its so damn fugly.
+1, if it looked like an actual car, got slightly better all EV range (100miles), and wasn't over priced (it is) I'd have one in my driveway. It actually drove decently and yes, the electric motor torque is instantly addicting.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I wonder how many Tesla drivers have been cited for exhibition of speed while using ludicrous mode or simply just flooring the car from a dig up to 70mph.

I guess their only saving grace is the fact that the car doesn't make any noise so it won't turn the head of the highway patrol looking the other way lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
If you're like me and love your combustion engine and think your e9x m3 is the fastest thing since sliced bread then I beg you to not drive a P90D.

My farther in law has been fixing to lease one for some time now and dragged me to check one out.

We went to the Tesla store / dealership or whatever you want to call it..... and got some product info and where entertained by a lecture how Tesa is the future of automobiles. AKA brain washing!

Then the test drive. My father-in-law took it slow, the car was supper quite, firm, and exactly what I expected from the model S. Then when it was my turn I asked about the ludicrous mode and to my awe was amazed how ludicrous it was. So much power in the form of torque. Its the most torque I have ever felt in my life. My m3 was a Civic compared to this thing. Anyway we concluded our session and I left the store with my jaw wide open.

Just thought id share my tesla experience.....So if speed/ acceleration is your thing in life, then be careful of this thing, it can prove to be highly addictive for some folk.
This shouldn't really be surprising. An E9x M3 has pretty much no torque down low.
Appreciate 0