E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d turbo loss of power or so I thought!

08-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Merv, I was kicking around in the UK section, and ran across a description of a problem that sounds much like your description. The suggestion in that thread was to have the actuator for the small turbo checked, as apparently this is a common problem (in the UK) on our engines. Since they have many more d's over there, this might be helpful.

Here's the thread for you to check out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637603

Note the post from Imran at Evolve, he knows of what he speaks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner
Merv, I was kicking around in the UK section, and ran across a description of a problem that sounds much like your description. The suggestion in that thread was to have the actuator for the small turbo checked, as apparently this is a common problem (in the UK) on our engines. Since they have many more d's over there, this might be helpful.

Here's the thread for you to check out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637603

Note the post from Imran at Evolve, he knows of what he speaks.
Thanks for the tip! The link you provided was very informative. I haven't been able to schedule a time for the dealer to take the car in to get it worked on. I hope to get in the shop this week.

I was thinking of taking off my engine cover to check that all my vacuum hoses look good and intact. I can't really see the actuator with the engine cover on, so that would be a good time to take a look at my actuators.

There's a vacuum pump that's down by the turbos and it has a long threaded push rod. I'm not sure of it's immediate job but I've been able to move it up and down with my hand, though it feels like its got some resistance. While running the engine and revving it up to 2000-3000 rpm I never saw the push rod move at all. I was unsure if the engine had to be under load for the push rod move. What exactly does this vacuum pump do?

I'm pretty sure my second big turbo is functioning because after 2000-3000 rpm the torque kicks in. It's mostly around the low end like 1500-2000 rpm range that you hardly feel any boost. It just picks up lethargically most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

With the cooler morning temps how has it been running?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
With the cooler morning temps how has it been running?
This morning it had hardly no pick up. Just felt sluggish all morning and temps were in the mid to high 60s. It feels worse than a 2011 Golf TDI I test drove last summer. I gotta say there was one morning where it felt a little bit better but still the issue persists. I've scheduled to have the car looked at by a tech at my local dealership next Monday. Since there's no codes being thrown they said they may keep it for longer than a day and I'd have to use a loaner. Fingers crossed they figure it out!

I average on a regular basis 30.1 mpg on the highway going 70-80mph. I do mostly highway driving, is this the kinda mpg's I should expect? I'm new to the 335d and just wondering what I should expect from fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I avg 30 in mixed (20%-30% city). Good luck on the repair and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Monday my 335d goes to my local dealership to get looked at. I'm hoping they can diagnose the problem and get it fixed without too much back and forth. I know my local dealership doesn't stock many diesels and I haven't gotten to know any of the tech's there so I don't know what kind of experience they've had working on diesels. The dealership I bought my 335d from had over 10 335d's instock, plus a bunch of new x5 diesels, so I can imagine they'd be quite familiar with diesels and any problems. My SA at my local dealership mentioned that if the tech can't figure it out they may have to call BMW NA to get more info on what to do.

Anyway, all this week my D has been feeling lethargic, some what intermittently. With the windows down I can hear the turbo spool up but the poor thing doesn't feel torquey at all.

Though today something weird happened. I accelerated as aggressively as I could and I felt it pick up between 2-3k rpm with traction turned off and I heard the turbo spool up a lot louder than it usually sounds with even louder diesel clatter and the car sort of jerked forward, then it felt like a pop and then it felt lethargic again. It doesn't seem right to me.

Engine idles smooth and quiet and doesn't have any CEL or any other noticeable issues.

I know the most common issues have been leaking vacuum lines and faulty actuators with the smaller turbo. I just hope the tech at my local dealership will be able to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #29
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I really wish there is easy way to connect boost gauge. Would have make troubleshooting so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Well dropped the D off Monday morning and today I popped in while on my way to work to check up on it, since I didn't receive a call on Monday, as he said Monday they could have the car ready that day. I arrive early and I'm guessing I caught the SA off guard and he says.. They've been working on it and they had to order a part. Then I ask what part and he says it's a socket for the taillight which is malfunctioning. Then I asked well whats going on with fixing the slow take off and he said that it's a diesel so it's gonna have a slow pick up anyway and there's really nothing they can do other than make sure all the software is updated, while I'm standing there in disbelief! Anyway, I'm guessing I need to find out who the tech is so I can actually get some valuable info on what's going on with the engine diagnosis, as I doubt there's a "socket" in the taillight that needs replacing. He hinted at another part being ordered but didn't say what. He claimed that it's such a new car that they don't carry the parts being replaced.

Now I mentioned to the SA on Monday I had some other issues with the car such as the window trim on the front right windshield was coming up and there was a slight whistle at high speed. He doesn't know if they have to replace the trim or if it's fixable. There was of course the taillight that would come on and off intermittently when closing the trunk, yet I highly doubt there's a "socket" needing replacement, unless it's a faulty connection socket. My best guess is a lose connection. Then there is a red cable under the car in the rear that the SA claimed was a catalytic converter wire and that it's supposed to be hanging low in a hook shape, which I doubt is the case. I drive on a mountain road that has plenty branches and debris in the road and that red cable hanging low could get snagged and yank something expensive apart. Plus the oil was low, right on the min line.

Anyway, the SA I'm dealing with doesn't seem to be with it and I'm just concerned they don't take me seriously and this SA is blowing sunshine up my a$$. I didn't purchase my car from them so maybe that's why I'm treated differently. It took me 3 attempts to get a loaner so I could leave the car with them. Apparently, they're not letting the SA's loan out cars?? I hope it's not because I'm 22 and can afford a 335d!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #31
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
The car is back and it has been running slightly better than before. The dealership reset the transmission shift points. As far as I know it was a hard reset and they said it will take a few weeks to relearn the shift points while I drive.

I went on a 800 mile trip just after getting the car back and that's when I noticed the improvement. I was using BP diesel and Marathon diesel and the car ran really well. Now after being home for a week and using the regular Exxon station to refuel I've noticed the car feels sluggish intermittently again and it's when you accelerate on the interstate and from red lights that you really notice it being a bit lethargic. It's right in that 1500-2000 rpm range.

I don't know if it's the diesel quality. Would bad diesel affect engine performance? If it is the actuator for the small turbo I'd replace it myself but I don't know how to diagnose it and I don't want to spend extra money while the car is under warranty.

My questions now are, how would you diagnose the common issues such as actuator or vacuum leak? And would poor quality diesel affect engine performance?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I would think a hardware issue would cause a limp home condition whereas poor fuel would be a slight performance drop. FWIW I experience similar "sluggishness" on Texaco.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #33
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
I would think a hardware issue would cause a limp home condition whereas poor fuel would be a slight performance drop. FWIW I experience similar "sluggishness" on Texaco.
I think you're right about a possible performance drop with bad fuel. I've read horror stories about bad fuel causing VERY expensive repairs on modern diesels here in the states.

I had a E90 328i gasser before my 335d and I tried regular gas instead of premium because the station I went to was out of premium and the car misfired and sounded horrible and at one point switched off. I was surprised at how sensitive the engine was to a different grade of fuel.

Now with my 335d I've been using diesel regularly from an Exxon close by and I've been having issues with performance so I'm gonna switch to a different station, maybe BP, and see how it goes. If nothing improves I guess it's back to the dealer for another diagnosis!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #34
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Take this for what it's worth because I drive a 328, but it sure sounds like you have a problem with 1st stage turbo. I guess it could be mechanical or computer based. I would try another dealership they will all honor your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #35
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'm right at a quarter tank after filling up with BP diesel that had a min cetane rating of 40 (according to the sticker) and it's been running better. My mpg's have improved too. So we will see how she goes with BP diesel for now. So far I've noticed improved torque in the lower rpm range. The car feels more responsive than it did. If I notice anymore sluggishness I'm gonna take it to the dealership I bought it from, they've already said they will take it in if I notice any performance issues.

With the diesel, I think the Exxon station I regularly filled up at had poor quality diesel. Wouldn't a big company like Exxon make sure their diesel is up to standard? That's if it is Exxon diesel. It could be an off brand from a local refinery. The Exxon station I've been using doesn't have a cetane sticker on any of their diesel pumps. I've just been loyal to Exxon since I've always bought gasoline there when I had my 328i.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv View Post
I'm right at a quarter tank after filling up with BP diesel that had a min cetane rating of 40 (according to the sticker) and it's been running better. My mpg's have improved too. So we will see how she goes with BP diesel for now. So far I've noticed improved torque in the lower rpm range. The car feels more responsive than it did. If I notice anymore sluggishness I'm gonna take it to the dealership I bought it from, they've already said they will take it in if I notice any performance issues.

With the diesel, I think the Exxon station I regularly filled up at had poor quality diesel. Wouldn't a big company like Exxon make sure their diesel is up to standard? That's if it is Exxon diesel. It could be an off brand from a local refinery. The Exxon station I've been using doesn't have a cetane sticker on any of their diesel pumps. I've just been loyal to Exxon since I've always bought gasoline there when I had my 328i.
Some studies have been done on diesel cetane levels in this country and average was ~46-47. By law it must be a min of 40. From what I've read base stocks respond differently to cetane boosters (2EHN is a very popular commercially available improver). The word "respond" is used to describe how much of an increase in the cetane number you'll gain by adding the additive. Much also depends on the price of the base fuel. If it's cheaper than X the company may add more cetane improver. It it's more expenseive then the company will aim for the min rating.

Keep up with the fuel change and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #37
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
So after driving around for a while and trying out different diesel stations, I've found that in my area the best diesel is from Conoco! I've filled up several times there and I've experienced increased mpg ratings! The car also feels more responsive with the diesel from Conoco. There's no cetane stickers but I'm pretty sure it's higher than the rest of the diesel stations in my area. I've switched back and forth to BP and Exxon a couple times but they just don't seem to be as good. BP and Exxon are off the interstate and on the BP pump it said #2 diesel. And I think that has to do with the poor mpg and less responsive driving characteristics, as #2 diesel is geared toward truckers. I try and avoid #2 diesel most of the time now. So far Conoco seems to have the best quality diesel in my area.

Aside from trying different diesel I've noticed that the car has improved its over all sluggish acceleration to a degree. Probably because I'm using better diesel.

Now there are some days when the car still feels really sluggish and I still don't know what would cause it to be intermittent like that. I've tried to get my dealership to look at the car more in depth but on all occasions they say its got no fault codes and they just reset the shift points and send me on my way. At one point my SA mentioned how "it's a diesel, it's gonna be slow off the line". It's like they don't want to bother with it because it's got no fault codes.

I've noticed one underlying trait from my local dealership, they aren't as nice to customers who didn't buy their car from them. I'm always asked where I bought my vehicle as if it mattered and when it comes time for me to request a loaner it's like pulling teeth. My SA advised me to also put new O.E summer tires on my car and I'm thinking, but it's almost winter! And there I see a big sign saying Tire Sale! Anyway, I kinda feel like I'd be better off with a different car or maybe just have kept my gas e90!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #38
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d
you have two choices for ICs either go thru Cx Racing(which has one developed for DIESELS) or wait for the WAGNER IC(BTW is in the makings)which will look as OEM as possible, turboeddie from the Boost told me he's getting anywhere from 45-47 mpg HWY!!! yes you read that right!!! from the Cx Racing IC he made
I think TurboEddie is telling a tall tale. My 2010 Jetta with the 2.0l TDI which is over 600 lbs lighter didn't get 45-47. I traded that one in after 18 mos of service for an '11 d, which I hot-footed from Portland to SF and got 35mpg. Could I have gotten better than 35? Yes. 45-47 would have required a tailwind and probably a cliff to drive off of.

I've read your posts about the Wagner IC and I want one. But, I know better than to expect 40+ highway just because I have a better IC.

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #39
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Wow!!! My 335d came back to life last night!!!

I had gotten so used to it being sluggish I didn't realize what I was missing!!! If it goes back to its sluggish state I'm gonna get it fixed at my dealership or I'm gonna contact BMW of NA.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

@Starrfyr dont want to bust your bubble I have talked extensively with TE cuase he gave me his cell number ,DieselDiner aka 62Lincoln knows him as well. TE has modded many cars and believe me he is no slouch! If you told me the same I would believe you specially if the part involved has not TIES with you like in the case of TE he modded the 335i IC to accomodate to the 335d. that is the same issue WAGNER came to realize that our "D"s are different and had to do a 3D scan to make the IC for the "D", go to german boost and talk to TE he is a cool guy and hopefully I might run into him next monday when Im in Lake Park as a matter of fact i will txt him now, anyway amigo I hope I hv cleared it for you will keep everyone posted ok
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #41
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Merv congrats now FLASH it and then u will see the Monster!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
talk to TE he is a cool guy and hopefully I might run into him next monday when Im in Lake Park as a matter of fact i will txt him now
TurboEddie has been MIA, so definitely get him to post and bring us up to date on his activities.
      10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #43
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

just spoke to TE he is actually working on a roadster but he is going to stay back on his Diesel, his diesel is his daily commute car. He told me that eventually in the future he will work on his diesel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv View Post
Wow!!! My 335d came back to life last night!!!

I had gotten so used to it being sluggish I didn't realize what I was missing!!! If it goes back to its sluggish state I'm gonna get it fixed at my dealership or I'm gonna contact BMW of NA.
What changed? Did it just happen on its own?
Appreciate 0