E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320 2010 Headlights

11-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

320 2010 Headlights

Gents I have been checking out my lights and would like some information.

As per the attachment this is the OEM lights that is fitted to my car. When I switch on the low beam lights the two outside units will light up, and when I go to high beam the two outside units will change from low to high.

Would I be correct that the bulb fitted is a single bulb that does low and high ?. On my SUV I have the low beam is fitted to the outer, and the high beam is fitted to the inner so I have 4 HID bulbs fitted.

What is the purpose of the inner light units ?. When I switch on my side lights there is a ring at the front that lights up but that seems to be all that's available unless I am doing something wrong.

I am waiting on the owners manual so unable to check all the functions at present.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Its bixenon.
Low and high beam uses single bulb and high beam shutter opens to extend the light travelling.
Inner lens is doing nothing. On some other variants they are for AHL.

On pre-LCI xenons you have inner bulb H7 used for high beam though you can code the car to have bi-xenon.
HTH.
      11-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Its bixenon.
Low and high beam uses single bulb and high beam shutter opens to extend the light travelling.
Inner lens is doing nothing. On some other variants they are for AHL.

On pre-LCI xenons you have inner bulb H7 used for high beam though you can code the car to have bi-xenon.
HTH.
Many thanks for that confirmation, can you let me know what bulb type is fitted for the high and low

That's a bummer for a high dollar car, my SUV lights up the road like a Christmas tree compared to this crap duel bulb system.

Is it possible to convert the fog light bulbs to HID or will it give an issue with the I drive warning system
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger007 View Post
Many thanks for that confirmation, can you let me know what bulb type is fitted for the high and low

That's a bummer for a high dollar car, my SUV lights up the road like a Christmas tree compared to this crap duel bulb system.

Is it possible to convert the fog light bulbs to HID or will it give an issue with the I drive warning system
I must say that LCI xenons on E90/E91 are far brighter than Pre-LCI xenon. Or this is how I felt as I moved from pre-LCI xenon headlights to LCI xenons.

I am not sure but they use D1S bulb. (I am sure that somebody will confirm it)

I will not bother adding HID in foglight as that will give it cheap look.
Unless you want to blind others....then its a different matter.
      11-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I must say that LCI xenons on E90/E91 are far brighter than Pre-LCI xenon. Or this is how I felt as I moved from pre-LCI xenon headlights to LCI xenons.

I am not sure but they use D1S bulb. (I am sure that somebody will confirm it)

I will not bother adding HID in foglight as that will give it cheap look.
Unless you want to blind others....then its a different matter.
Regarding the foglight bulbs would to happen to know what type is fitted ?
Appreciate 0