E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > UUC Short shift kit install in an xi.

01-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Bayo
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

UUC Short shift kit install in an xi.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a word of warning to anyone else looking to do this mod. I read a ton of DIY threads before I started and had delusions of being able to do everything from the top, as many have posted the did. I can only assume these are all not UUC installs, or there is something different about the xi. There is NO WAY to to it from the top. The UUC kit includes a new cup that sits in the carrier, this completely blocks access to the clip that you need to get on. I got everything apart from the top side, but could not put everything back together.

This means you have to remove the exhaust and heat shield, disconnect the rear drive shaft from the transfer case, support the transfer case and drop it a good 3 inches. This was the only way I could get to the clip.

So don't fool yourself thinking this can be a 45 minute job. It isn't. Maybe with other SSK's but not UUC's, and maybe on a RWD (but I assume they use the same cup design, so I doubt it). If I hadn't had two exhaust bolts shear off (a 3 hour adventure on its own to get them ground off then drilled out) this probably would have been a 4 to 5 hour job, and I am fairly handy with a lot of tools on hand.

Beyond the brutal install it is a well engineered part. Rock solid and my shifts are about 1.5" to 2" shorter (I used a measuring tape off the radio for a before and after). Feels fantastic. I put in a ZHP weighted knob at the same time.

Oh, and while you are down there with everything apart swap the transfer case fluid. With everything out of the way it was really easy to get to. I used a large syringe to squirt the new fluid in after draining.

For reference the car is a 2008 335 xi.

Good luck everyone. Please understand this is in no way a slight against UUC, it is a fantastic product and I fully recommend them, just know what you are getting into.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayo View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted to give a word of warning to anyone else looking to do this mod. I read a ton of DIY threads before I started and had delusions of being able to do everything from the top, as many have posted the did. I can only assume these are all not UUC installs, or there is something different about the xi. There is NO WAY to to it from the top. The UUC kit includes a new cup that sits in the carrier, this completely blocks access to the clip that you need to get on. I got everything apart from the top side, but could not put everything back together.

This means you have to remove the exhaust and heat shield, disconnect the rear drive shaft from the transfer case, support the transfer case and drop it a good 3 inches. This was the only way I could get to the clip.

So don't fool yourself thinking this can be a 45 minute job. It isn't. Maybe with other SSK's but not UUC's, and maybe on a RWD (but I assume they use the same cup design, so I doubt it). If I hadn't had two exhaust bolts shear off (a 3 hour adventure on its own to get them ground off then drilled out) this probably would have been a 4 to 5 hour job, and I am fairly handy with a lot of tools on hand.

Beyond the brutal install it is a well engineered part. Rock solid and my shifts are about 1.5" to 2" shorter (I used a measuring tape off the radio for a before and after). Feels fantastic. I put in a ZHP weighted knob at the same time.

Oh, and while you are down there with everything apart swap the transfer case fluid. With everything out of the way it was really easy to get to. I used a large syringe to squirt the new fluid in after draining.

Good luck everyone. Please understand this is in no way a slight against UUC, it is a fantastic product and I fully recommend them, just know what you are getting into.
Nice i didn't even know there was a ssk for the xi
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Thanks for the warning .. there goes my thoughts about getting a short shift kit!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
335xituned
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayo View Post

Is there a reason why needle pliers would not work? I installed the ucc kit on my 330i e90 all from the top i was planning on doing the same on my 11 335xi e92.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

I also had a UUC SSK in my 335xi. For me, there was no possible way to install from the top.

Compounding the agony, I really didn't like the shifter. Just as lengthy a process to remove as to install.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
335xituned
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I also had a UUC SSK in my 335xi. For me, there was no possible way to install from the top.

Compounding the agony, I really didn't like the shifter. Just as lengthy a process to remove as to install.
How did you end up installing it?
Appreciate 0