Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!

E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #6007
E92n55slo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335 x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYOOS View Post
Seems like the JB4 isn't worth it anymore. I mainly wanted it for it's reliability features and security (can't hack into the DME and change key code when the map it's on 0).

For the folks that run MHD, what are the main issues you're running into?
No issues with Mhd
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6008
Twisted Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
Flash back to stock with mhd via flash map 0 in the stock flashing options. This will remove the bef and keep mhd installed for future map uploads.
flashing back to stock actually removes MHD. You should be flashing Stage Zero if you wish to have the stock tune with MHD still installed.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #6009
NeedMoreBoost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sänd_mönstä View Post
Hey guys,

I flashed MHD Stage 2+ 93 Octane yesterday on my e92 N55 xDrive 6MT. I am currently FBO (DP, FMIC, Upper CP). Flashing went smoothy, but upon the first start I pulled the following codes:

2820: Absolute pressure sensor, intake pipe; multiple fault
28A0: Intake pipe absolute pressure, plausibility; pressure too high
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

I cleared the codes last night and went out for a test drive this morning (<10 mi). Car pulls extremely well, but codes 2820 and 28A0 popped up again.

I did some logging and here are the results:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E4...T4Isz8B-vDz9yy

Any help would be much appreciated!
I get these same exact codes and the lean code nearly daily with stage 2 plus tune. I cant fir the life of me find a problem in the car, it doesnt seem to run that lean, and no boost leaks that can be found. If you find the answer I'd love to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #6010
vespa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
One issue for us Westerners is that unlike Burger, MHD doesn't seem to have good access to and/or interest in low octane fuel. I suspect they take whatever dragster fuel they have handy and then just detune it a little for us. This issue is compounded by the fact that they do a sort of open-loop tuning method that relies heavily on the various springs and rubber parts to blindly control boost like a '81 Datsun rather than the more modern method of using the TMAP and other sensors to do a tightly closed-loop computer managed boost. While Stage 2 users seem to have pretty good luck, especially on good fuel, the Stage 1 ACN tunes seem to err heavily on the side of loosely controlled overboost at the low end and after shifts followed by unpredictable underboost at the high end.

The other issue is that they don't do normal logging in a normal way with normal equipment. If you're among the 44% of Americans with iPhones, you'll have to go buy some Android thing and set it up and keep it charged. If you like the kinky feel of wires tied around your ankles you'll be somewhat satisfied with their logging app, but if you expect it to work wirelessly like JB4 and everything else built since 1997 you're in for a big disappointment. Oh, and the app kills your tablet battery and the wire kills your car battery so it's more of a production than you might expect to setup the whole system for monitoring/logging and then dismantle it all at the end of a drive.
Appreciate 1
DYOOS41.50

Today, 12:27 AM   #6011
NeedMoreBoost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
One issue for us Westerners is that unlike Burger, MHD doesn't seem to have good access to and/or interest in low octane fuel. I suspect they take whatever dragster fuel they have handy and then just detune it a little for us. This issue is compounded by the fact that they do a sort of open-loop tuning method that relies heavily on the various springs and rubber parts to blindly control boost like a '81 Datsun rather than the more modern method of using the TMAP and other sensors to do a tightly closed-loop computer managed boost. While Stage 2 users seem to have pretty good luck, especially on good fuel, the Stage 1 ACN tunes seem to err heavily on the side of loosely controlled overboost at the low end and after shifts followed by unpredictable underboost at the high end.

The other issue is that they don't do normal logging in a normal way with normal equipment. If you're among the 44% of Americans with iPhones, you'll have to go buy some Android thing and set it up and keep it charged. If you like the kinky feel of wires tied around your ankles you'll be somewhat satisfied with their logging app, but if you expect it to work wirelessly like JB4 and everything else built since 1997 you're in for a big disappointment. Oh, and the app kills your tablet battery and the wire kills your car battery so it's more of a production than you might expect to setup the whole system for monitoring/logging and then dismantle it all at the end of a drive.
So who do you use for your tune? Please dont sst JB4. I've been tossing around trying a different tune on my n55 135 due to nearly constant lean codes on startups. I'm getting sick and tired of clearing the ses light everytime I start my car.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:36 AM   #6012
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
flashing back to stock actually removes MHD. You should be flashing Stage Zero if you wish to have the stock tune with MHD still installed.
Map 0....stage 0. My bad. Edited my post to reflect the proper language.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:43 AM   #6013
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Seems like the JB4 isn't worth it anymore. I mainly wanted it for it's reliability features and security (can't hack into the DME and change key code when the map it's on 0).

Run the non beta maps and it’s very stable
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:53 AM   #6014
sänd_mönstä
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreBoost View Post
I get these same exact codes and the lean code nearly daily with stage 2 plus tune. I cant fir the life of me find a problem in the car, it doesnt seem to run that lean, and no boost leaks that can be found. If you find the answer I'd love to hear it!
I think I've resolved the issue. 150+ miles later with no codes!

*knock on wood*

All I did was clear the DME codes and other modules. Drove down from PA to MD last night with no codes at all.

On another note, here are my virtual dyno results from a 3rd gear pull:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4...qLMcfs70f25Xj-

I was expecting to be around 300 whp if not more. Looks like I'll be switching over to E30 soon.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:04 PM   #6015
DYOOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Run the non beta maps and it’s very stable
Do you mind elaborating?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:07 PM   #6016
Kev0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sänd_mönstä View Post
I think I've resolved the issue. 150+ miles later with no codes!

*knock on wood*

All I did was clear the DME codes and other modules. Drove down from PA to MD last night with no codes at all.

On another note, here are my virtual dyno results from a 3rd gear pull:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4...qLMcfs70f25Xj-

I was expecting to be around 300 whp if not more. Looks like I'll be switching over to E30 soon.
You cleared the dme codes then drove non stop for 150+ miles? The codes usually comes back after you stop then restart the ignition. If the codes never came back then I wonder if it takes that long for the car to adapt.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:15 PM   #6017
sänd_mönstä
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
You cleared the dme codes then drove non stop for 150+ miles? The codes usually comes back after you stop then restart the ignition. If the codes never came back then I wonder if it takes that long for the car to adapt.
120 miles of highway driving. Remaining 30 miles were in the city running errands. The car was started/stopped several times. I'm counting 5 off the top of my head.

Did you select the "Clear Other Modules" option as well?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:47 PM   #6018
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Alright guys, so yesterday I had my car on the dynojet over at Portland Speed Industries and I ran into some issues at first. I had the intention of using the OTS Stage 2+ 91 octane map (beta) for all 3 of my runs. During the first pull, everything was going fine until the AFRs started getting a bit lean for the dyno operators taste. At around 5800 RPM they started creeping into 13.1. He suggested trying another map, so I went ahead and flashed the Stage 1+ 91 octane map, which I daily the car on. We did 3 runs on this map and the AFRs looked much better and the dyno operator said the power curve looked much smoother. With the stage 1+ map the car only made 322 WHP and 377 WTQ, which is a bit lower than I was expecting.

There were two more N55 cars dynoing that day as well that put down some fantastic numbers. The first was a M235i with PS2 that made 416WHP and 446WTQ. The second was a X1 with the same mods as my car, though with a JB4 running map 5 with E30 in the tank. The X1 (with auto and AWD) made 360AWHP and 438AWTQ.

Any suggestions as to why my car was having AFR issues with the Stage 2+?

Here are the dyno figures: https://imgur.com/dc1Msuz

https://imgur.com/gM8gNlA
      Today, 03:32 PM   #6019
Twisted Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post

FYI, the ACN maps of late have been built off 87 and 89 octane. Mainly because that is the lowest level fuel i have in NY. which is about equal to the crap ACN fuel you all use. Yes, i put that in my my personal car to make map adjustments for a fuel that should not even be used for performance. Yet we still offer it because we support our users. Sure, if some wants to send me a 55gallon drum of ACN fuel. let me know. Aside from that, i view EVERY single log that is posted or sent to me directly. And gauge adjustments off of that as well.

All the OTS maps use the OEM PID boost control system. Nothing is blindly controlled.

I've explained the reason for the underboost on some car in the upper RPMS being less on some car and more on others a few times. But here it is again. The stock turbo struggles to produce boost over 5000-5500rpms. However, there are some owners who actually add the proper modifications to help decrease that struggling boost production. So their particular car, makes more boost up top than some others. (Hell my personal car make 17.5psi up top on the stock turbo). So on the OTS map, in the upper RPMs i place the Load request a bit higher so people that have the right mods can benefit from the higher upper rpm boost production.

The "wired" cable thing has been beaten to death. And as stated before Bluetooth is coming. But the annoyance of the wired cable is user intensive. As i forget i even have the cable in the car. Battery has never died, nor have i ever gotten tangled up in it. But again, the annoyance or non of a cable is a user thing. It doesn't bother me. But again Bluetooth is coming.

And there is a reason Iphone isnt supported yet, and its an Apple OS issue, not MHD. that issue has required MHD to develop a new piece of hardware, just to support Apple btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Alright guys, so yesterday I had my car on the dynojet over at Portland Speed Industries and I ran into some issues at first. I had the intention of using the OTS Stage 2+ 91 octane map (beta) for all 3 of my runs. During the first pull, everything was going fine until the AFRs started getting a bit lean for the dyno operators taste. At around 5800 RPM they started creeping into 13.1. He suggested trying another map, so I went ahead and flashed the Stage 1+ 91 octane map, which I daily the car on. We did 3 runs on this map and the AFRs looked much better and the dyno operator said the power curve looked much smoother. With the stage 1+ map the car only made 322 WHP and 377 WTQ, which is a bit lower than I was expecting.

There were two more N55 cars dynoing that day as well that put down some fantastic numbers. The first was a M235i with PS2 that made 416WHP and 446WTQ. The second was a X1 with the same mods as my car, though with a JB4 running map 5 with E30 in the tank. The X1 (with auto and AWD) made 360AWHP and 438AWTQ.

Any suggestions as to why my car was having AFR issues with the Stage 2+?

Here are the dyno figures: https://imgur.com/dc1Msuz

https://imgur.com/gM8gNlA

Dyno AFR feeds are known to read at times up to a half point leaner than what the car really is if its reading from the tailpipe. What did the MHD log show for AFR? and what was load actual? that will tell all.

Last edited by Twisted Tuning; Today at 03:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:43 PM   #6020
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For those on the fence solely based on the android thing. I purchased a Fire Tablet solely for my car and MHD. A whopping $45 at Bestbuy. Pretty nice having the big screen anyway. I also now use it to watch movies on planes .

I keep a usb mini cable in my car and charge it up every couple weeks maybe, but most of the time I just flash and map and leave it alone unless I do something like switch to E30.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:49 PM   #6021
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
FYI, the ACN maps of late have been built off 87 and 89 octane. Mainly because that is the lowest level fuel i have in NY. which is about equal to the crap ACN fuel you all use. Yes, i put that in my my personal car to make map adjustments for a fuel that should not even be used for performance. Yet we still offer it because we support our users. Sure, if some wants to send me a 55gallon drum of ACN fuel. let me know. Aside from that, i view EVERY single log that is posted or sent to me directly. And gauge adjustments off of that as well.

All the OTS maps use the OEM PID boost control system. Nothing is blindly controlled.

I've explained the reason for the underboost on some car in the upper RPMS being less on some car and more on others a few times. But here it is again. The stock turbo struggles to produce boost over 5000-5500rpms. However, there are some owners who actually add the proper modifications to help decrease that struggling boost production. So their particular car, makes more boost up top than some others. (Hell my personal car make 17.5psi up top on the stock turbo). So on the OTS map, in the upper RPMs i place the Load request a bit higher so people that have the right mods can benefit from the higher upper rpm boost production.

The "wired" cable thing has been beaten to death. And as stated before Bluetooth is coming. But the annoyance of the wired cable is user intensive. As i forget i even have the cable in the car. Battery has never died, nor have i ever gotten tangled up in it. But again, the annoyance or non of a cable is a user thing. It doesn't bother me. But again Bluetooth is coming.

And there is a reason Iphone isnt supported yet, and its an Apple OS issue, not MHD. that issue has required MHD to develop a new piece of hardware, just to support Apple btw.

Dyno AFR feeds are known to read at times up to a half point leaner than what the car really is if its reading from the tailpipe. What did the MHD log show for AFR? and what was load actual? that will tell all.
Unfortunately I neglected to change my logging back to automatic from manual for the runs, but I was watching the MHD gauge readout for the AFR as we were doing the pull and it was hovering 12.5 up until 6k where it touched 13 where he let off. The stage 1+ map (revised version you emailed me) was holding a solid 11.5 until 6500 where it jumped to 12.5.
      Today, 05:42 PM   #6022
Turbod
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Alright guys, so yesterday I had my car on the dynojet over at Portland Speed Industries and I ran into some issues at first.
Was there a dyno day or did you just happen to see some other BMWs there? They dynoed my 335i during a dyno day. They didn't strap the car down correctly and I was spinning on the dyno. My first run was 298 whp and 279 wtq spinning the entire time. The fourth gear pull lasted about 3 seconds. They finally adjusted the car and did runs in fifth gear. My final run was still spinning down low and I put down 430 whp and 367 wtq.

PS2, FBO, Methanol, JB4 with BEF on pump gas. (17 psi)
ER Chargepipe | BMS Intake |
Appreciate 0