E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Climate control behaving strangely...

05-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Climate control behaving strangely...

I generally have the climate control set to auto and it works perfectly. On 3 occasions recently it has developed a mind of its own and blasted very hot air out of the upper vents on the dash, despite the controls being set to aircon and 16 deg. Driving back from work last night it was unbearable and I had to shut the system down completely and open the windows. This morning everything was working as normal. Strange and annoying. Before I book it in to be looked at, just wondered if anyonone on here had experienced similar issues?

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
RockIt,

May be stating the obvious but only time this has happened to me is when the wheel between the two dash vents was set to red (heat). I normally have it set about half way between cool and heat.

I think this wheel ignores the climate control temp setting and either blows cool or hot air independently depending on where it's set.

Is yours set to heat and you haven't realised?

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
RockIt,

May be stating the obvious but only time this has happened to me is when the wheel between the two dash vents was set to red (heat). I normally have it set about half way between cool and heat.

I think this wheel ignores the climate control temp setting and either blows cool or hot air independently depending on where it's set.

Is yours set to heat and you haven't realised?

PhilR

Thanks for the thought, but it's definitely set to blue! First thing I checked was to see if it had got knocked when I cleaned the interior. I tried all sorts of different settings, auto, manual, different temperatures etc. Nothing made any difference, then it was back to normal functionality the following day. Very odd.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Thanks for the thought, but it's definitely set to blue! First thing I checked was to see if it had got knocked when I cleaned the interior. I tried all sorts of different settings, auto, manual, different temperatures etc. Nothing made any difference, then it was back to normal functionality the following day. Very odd.

Must have been that spell of hot weather last week - car wasn't used to it.

If it happens again hit the air con unit with a mash hammer - that fixes most things lol

A bit of trivia.........

A gas fired bolier packed up on me once. Called out a "heating engineer" and he hit it with a hammer on the side (honest).....It's been fine ever since - was a sticking gas governer apparently!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I haven't had the problem you describe but on a few occasions this week I have got into the car, the climate control (set to auto at around 19 deg C) has immediately gone into cooling mode at a reasonably high fan speed and then intermittently switched off the fan. This has happened during the recent warm weather on a number of occasions. Each time the fan switches off you just assume the car has reached the required temp setting - and then it starts up again. I have only had my car a couple of weeks however it was registed in March 07 and has only done 6K miles.

I would imagine it has never been near a dealer and I am wondering whether this is a software problem.

Any clues?
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
yargnat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport, Le-Mans Blue

hmm, recently on a trip to Belgium, the climate control which on my side which is normally set to 21C went to up to 28C on it's own.
I was sat there for a moment thinking I was having a hot flush, and that I was too young, and the wrong sex for the menopause!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quick update. Car has been into dealer to be looked at and predictably they could find nothing wrong with it and suggested that I bring it back if it happened again. (No courtesy car offered and no real interest shown by the staff). It has since happened again several times and on Saturday I had to stop driving it and get out of the car to cool down as even with the system switched off, hot air was creeping through the dash vents. Then on Saturday evening it worked perfectly.

Unfortunately the service department isn't open on a Saturday so couldn't take it back. Happened on the way to work this morning as well and I am now getting officially p****d off. So it's backl to the dealer and a demand to speak to the Service Manager.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Quick update. Car has been into dealer to be looked at and predictably they could find nothing wrong with it and suggested that I bring it back if it happened again. (No courtesy car offered and no real interest shown by the staff). It has since happened again several times and on Saturday I had to stop driving it and get out of the car to cool down as even with the system switched off, hot air was creeping through the dash vents. Then on Saturday evening it worked perfectly.

Unfortunately the service department isn't open on a Saturday so couldn't take it back. Happened on the way to work this morning as well and I am now getting officially p****d off. So it's backl to the dealer and a demand to speak to the Service Manager.
Gav, just take a video of it happening with your mobile & show it to your dealer. Tell them you're fed up with this & you expect them to sort it out, without having your time wasted once more. If they continue this line of action, you'll bill them directly.

Seriously, there is a Technical Service Bulletin related to the diagnosis of aircon & heating problems- I've attached a copy for your use, below.

All the best.

Viv
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB640407.pdf (81.7 KB, 1662 views)

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Sounds very strange. Hopefully something simple like the air con just needing re-gassed?
      06-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Gav, just take a video of it happening with your mobile & show it to your dealer. Tell them you're fed up with this & you expect them to sort it out, without having your time wasted once more. If they continue this line of action, you'll bill them directly.

Seriously, there is a Technical Service Bulletin related to the diagnosis of aircon & heating problems- I've attached a copy for your use, below.

All the best.

Viv
Thanks Viv, much appreciated. I shall give it a thorough read. Unfortunately there is nothing to actually see, so the video idea isn't going to work. The unit displays all the correct lights and numbers, but heats up the cabin to an unbearable degree. Imagine having your heater on full when it's 24 degress outside, as it is here today. That's what it feels like!

However, I've just been up to the dealer during my lunch break as the unit wasn't working this morning and I insisted that someone should sit in the car with me and experience it. The technician agreed that it was not working and the car is booked in for Wednesday. Let's hope they sort it this time.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Result at last.

New control unit needed and on order. Being fitted on Monday, so only have to put up with the discomfort of zero climate control for a few more days. You don't realise how good it is until you have to rely on opening the windows. The problem is that you can't even overide the system and just have air blowing as you would on a standard heating system as found on older cars! Technology eh.

Thanks to Viv for the technical bulletin that I took in with me today. 'We look at all this anyway' said the receptionist. 'So why didn't you diagnose the fault last time it was in?' I asked. 'Right sir, we'll let you know what we find'.

To be fair she has been very helpful and I'm just glad it's being sorted.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Glad the problem is being finally sorted out, Gavin.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0