E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Forge Boost Hose 335d

07-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Forge Boost Hose 335d

Has anyone replaced their red boost hose with an non oem one?

Mine has started to leak oil again (lost count how many times)
I have replaced the seals (top and bottom) 3 x
Replaced the whole red charge pipe with the remodified version (apparantly slightly smaller diameter fitting to ensure tighter fitting) at £165
Replaced the crankcase breather approx year and half ago, althought BMW say I have the vortex type whih is lifetime but I still replaced it

No matter what there pipe after 2+months begins to see light misting of oil but has gradually got worse

I have been looking at this pipe and when I rang them up to ask what is different about this pipe to the oem and they said its a better fitment but could not expand more on that.

at cost of £83 I dont want to buy this and be in the same position 3 months down the line

http://www.bmsport.com/forge-boost-hose-335d.html
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

My ignorance, if there is oil what are the consequences of it.
      07-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
330d xdrive Scotty
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330d xdrive m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
My ignorance, if there is oil what are the consequences of it.
I dont think it will address the oil leak issue, as it uses the same end interfaces and this is where the leak comes from - usually the top connection.

Makk - it doesnt really affect performance, as it is a slight mist which escapes over time and builds up the visible oil film. The main problem as i see it is the risk of the adjacent pulley and rubber belt getting oil contamination
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I've had mine changed over two months ago and as far as I know it hasn't started leaking again, I'll check it to be sure.

The description on the Forge part says:

This hose was designed to overcome the known boost and oil leakage of the original fitment hose. Though this normally goes undetected due to its location, eventually total failure occurs.
The solution is a 4ply Fluorosilicone hose to withstand the temperatures and pressures involved, but more importantly resist the degradation from oil. This is combined with CNC machined alloy couplers for the perfect, no leakage, fitment.

Now of course the description is no guarantee it'll work, but it sounds promising? If it was designed to overcome this specific problem? In any case, if replacing it with stock parts failed more than once, you have nothing to lose trying this new part?

Thanks for the link anwyay - if mine goes again, I'll try this
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 335d m sport owner View Post
I dont think it will address the oil leak issue, as it uses the same end interfaces and this is where the leak comes from - usually the top connection.
This is what I am unsure about if it does use the sme top and bottom end connection then trying to figure out how it is different to OEM?

I can see jubilee clips but not sure where these attach?

Only thing I can think of its diameter being shorter and more snug figment

Mak - overtime the pipe will be covered in oil and mess on the under tray but will also loose some boost. Some people have said they haven't noticed drop in performance but i have in the past which prompted me to swap seals and have noticed the difference straight after.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
330d xdrive Scotty
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330d xdrive m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
This is what I am unsure about if it does use the sme top and bottom end connection then trying to figure out how it is different to OEM?

I can see jubilee clips but not sure where these attach?

Only thing I can think of its diameter being shorter and more snug figment

Mak - overtime the pipe will be covered in oil and mess on the under tray but will also loose some boost. Some people have said they haven't noticed drop in performance but i have in the past which prompted me to swap seals and have noticed the difference straight after.
Our American cousins have already tried the hose and it would appear that the top connection has double O rings now, but the lower connection into the intercooler uses the same OEM seal arrangement. My leak is always associated with the top seal, so i might actually give this hose a try.

Forge installation instructions for info
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FMBH335D.pdf (320.8 KB, 813 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I've got one fitted on mine too think it's cheaper than oem too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Forge products are thoroughly tested.

It looks like they're suggesting that the heat degrades the pipe at the connection and that causes the weeping.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

i got fed up with mine leaking so i used a loctite sealing material and put a bead around all joints from airbox to turbo and have had no oil what so ever been around 4 months now, and the car pulled better as it wasn't losing boost pressure if oil can get out so can air
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #10
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
I've got one fitted on mine too think it's cheaper than oem too.

Any signs of oil misting/leaking on the pipe and how long have you had it fitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Forge products are thoroughly tested.

It looks like they're suggesting that the heat degrades the pipe at the connection and that causes the weeping.
if I am correct you still use the same the rubber ring at the top and bottom of the conncections and if this is the case then the rubber seals are the problem and not the pipe itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
i got fed up with mine leaking so i used a loctite sealing material and put a bead around all joints from airbox to turbo and have had no oil what so ever been around 4 months now, and the car pulled better as it wasn't losing boost pressure if oil can get out so can air
Can I confirm you sealed the pipe at both ends where the top part meets the turbo and bottom part goes into the intercooler?

or do you mean all connections going from airbox back?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 335d m sport owner View Post

Makk - it doesnt really affect performance, as it is a slight mist which escapes over time and builds up the visible oil film. The main problem as i see it is the risk of the adjacent pulley and rubber belt getting oil contamination
Thanks.

Quote:

What are effects on performance? Can you mention few symptoms?

Mine looks like this

I cannot see any oil outside the pipe. Shall I take it off to double check?
or leave it alone?
      07-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Mak - that looks fine to me no need to take it off (just causing more work)
however if it lookied like this then I would be taking it off -

just to update this thread, I took the pipe off earlier on there was some oil not as bad as picture above, cleaned te pipe up. it appears the oil to leak from the top turbo side connection. I Used some locite sealent on the rubber o ring and will monitor

Ive noticed on mine from low end boost not being as responive, mainly around the 2.5k rev it feels slightly flat
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

In case this might be of interest to anyone, there is a lot of info on the 335d red boost pipe issue on this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281232

Just in case you haven't seen it already!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mak - that looks fine to me no need to take it off (just causing more work)
however if it lookied like this then I would be taking it off -

just to update this thread, I took the pipe off earlier on there was some oil not as bad as picture above, cleaned te pipe up. it appears the oil to leak from the top turbo side connection. I Used some locite sealent on the rubber o ring and will monitor

Ive noticed on mine from low end boost not being as responive, mainly around the 2.5k rev it feels slightly flat
That looks bad mate.

I have felt that sometime there is flat spot b/w 1.5-2K. I am not sure if that is to do with the map which I have or it is something else. I could not find any hose loose.
Also, it might be just my feeling about that flat spot.
      07-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
In case this might be of interest to anyone, there is a lot of info on the 335d red boost pipe issue on this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281232

Just in case you haven't seen it already!
Thanks mate. I think I read it as I was considering E91 335D. But 335D issues and people telling me that 330D is good enough ---> I ended up in E91 330D.

Thanks for the link and will refresh my knowledge on that.
      07-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That looks bad mate.

I have felt that sometime there is flat spot b/w 1.5-2K. I am not sure if that is to do with the map which I have or it is something else. I could not find any hose loose.
Also, it might be just my feeling about that flat spot.
Have you had a look at the MAP (Manifold absolute pressure sensonr) which is located on the back of the inlet manifold - these do tend to get gunked up with oil time to time - I replaced mine as I had a very slight hesistancy spot at the the 1800 rev mark (this was when it was standard)

you can also give it a clean with some electrical cswitch cleaner but dont poke a sharp screwdriver down the hole as there is a fine membrane which can be pierced
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have you had a look at the MAP (Manifold)absolute pressure sensonr) which is located on the back of the inlet manifold - these do tend to get gunked up with oil time to time - I replaced mine as I had a very slight hesistancy spot at the the 1800 rev mark (this was when it was standard)

you can also give it a clean with some electrical cswitch cleaner but dont poke a sharp screwdriver down the hole as there is a fine membrane which can be pierced
Thanks for the hint. Any photo of the actual item as otherwise I am useless

Also, have you ever cleaned MAF sensor. I changed my air filter today and was thinking of cleaning the MAF sensor but then left it as it is.
      07-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

i sealed it on both ends turbo and intercooler side, but since the intercooler was out i sealed the other side aswell
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the hint. Any photo of the actual item as otherwise I am useless

Also, have you ever cleaned MAF sensor. I changed my air filter today and was thinking of cleaning the MAF sensor but then left it as it is.
see here for the MAP sensor which should be same position for the 330d
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714907

I have never cleaned my MAF sensor, reading through previous posts theses MAF sensor can be quite sensitive to cleaning fluids. I have left mine well alone, if there are no errors on DIS/INPA for the MAF I would personally leave well alone as they are expensive to replace
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:59 AM   #20
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Nitesh , if you have having boost leak problems then you will see more black smoke as there will be more fuel going in over the amount of metered air passing the MAF sensor
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
Nitesh , if you have having boost leak problems then you will see more black smoke as there will be more fuel going in over the amount of metered air passing the MAF sensor
the only time i am seeing a little increase in black smoke is wot but general acceleration no black smoke
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

mistryn did you put that hose on? i have suspicion, mine is leaking like for 3rd time already. there is no black smoke associated, since the DPF is eating it all, so that is not necessarily the sign, the sign is slightly lower power at lower revs and also slightly higher consumption, and both goes unnoticeable until the leak gets bigger. but it's a good thing to change since this affects the power of the car a lot....should be properly vacuumed, but obviously the standard bmw hose is not good enough to do the job,,,

what other mods have u done btw. i did nothing and now fault free for like a year or so...needless to say that i am doing the worst possible journeys which is like 2 3 miles journeys everyday, but still revving to 2.5 3k on cold engine and still going strong, but would be interested to find out the bhp it's running and how much it lost after the years, it's 2006, so i am sure it lost some horses
Appreciate 0