E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure

09-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #67
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks Dark Enigma.
Once you installed it and have a proper play, can you update us please?

Also can you try geo-fencing and share the results please?

I am in and I really want to buy this just for fun. Beauty is, you can add it to any car. So even if you sell your beamer, install it on other car.

Are you going to install GPS antenna or going to rely on built in antenna?
Planning to use this without the bundled antenna. I don't think it charged enough today as I took it out with me and tried to text/ring the tracker for an update on location and it wouldn't respond. Going to leave it on a big charge and see how things go tomorrow. Will let you guys know!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #68
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma View Post
Planning to use this without the bundled antenna. I don't think it charged enough today as I took it out with me and tried to text/ring the tracker for an update on location and it wouldn't respond. Going to leave it on a big charge and see how things go tomorrow. Will let you guys know!
I would hard wire it (there is option), so it keep charging constantly.
In case if car is stolen, it will be on for 20-22 days, unless they find it and destroy it.
      10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
Matthew222111
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Coupe

I was led to believe after reading my handbook, a tilt sensor is standard in the Uk spec of alarm. I have heard of adding a shock sensor but has anyone added a proximity sensor to their car yet? If so where did you wire it in to please ?

I have moved my OBD port and disabled it so even if they find the new location they need to know how to connect it as we'll, this will slow them down I'm hoping.

Hope someone on here can help.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #70
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew222111 View Post
I was led to believe after reading my handbook, a tilt sensor is standard in the Uk spec of alarm. I have heard of adding a shock sensor but has anyone added a proximity sensor to their car yet? If so where did you wire it in to please ?

I have moved my OBD port and disabled it so even if they find the new location they need to know how to connect it as we'll, this will slow them down I'm hoping.

Hope someone on here can help.

Thank you

Matthew,
Tilt sensor is standard in UK. All the car I have coded so far had tilte sensors in them and I could see the values for those.

Proximity sensor wiring is same as of shock sensor.
However you can put the proximity sensor in the rear cabin light housing to have relatively round spectrum.
      10-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #71
Matthew222111
Rep

Thank you for the reply, I've ordered a prox sensor and hopefully will get to install it this weekend, I'm basically going to try to adjust it to compensate with the short falling of the ultrasonic sensors, I've tested those and they only activate the alarm if I actually put my hand on the sensors, not good at all. If I do install this do you know if it will affect my BMW comprehensive extended warranty?

Also, as you know the alarm beep is so quiet, have people just added a louder 2nd siren or is there more to this than I'm thinking?

Thanks again for your help
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #72
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew222111 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I've ordered a prox sensor and hopefully will get to install it this weekend, I'm basically going to try to adjust it to compensate with the short falling of the ultrasonic sensors, I've tested those and they only activate the alarm if I actually put my hand on the sensors, not good at all. If I do install this do you know if it will affect my BMW comprehensive extended warranty?

Also, as you know the alarm beep is so quiet, have people just added a louder 2nd siren or is there more to this than I'm thinking?

Thanks again for your help
I hope your sensor installation goes well.
I cannot comment on warranty status to be honestly.

Re: you can install aftermarket alarm if needed. I have not done that yet though it is sitting at my place.
      10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #73
Matthew222111
Rep

Great thanks again for the advice, lets hope it's not chucking it down this weekend :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #74
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just wanted to drop in and recommend http://www.securemycar.co.uk/ . Had a VIPER system fitted, the guys were quick and very friendly... anyone wanting to add some much needed security should consider getting one of these systems fitted.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #75
scotty02uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 320D M sport

Garage List
I have heard the software update from BMW is being rolled out to the x5/x6 models, but still a 7 week wait for the 3 series, got myself a disklok in the meantime
      10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #76
gda_scooby
Rep
Drives: modified 335i coupe

Excellent source of information guys, thanks.

I have also recently purchased a £50 ebay tracker, not the same as the one above though.

Will get it instaled in a few weeks time - looking forward to seeing how accurate it is.

Even if it gets within 100m thats a very good starting point.

G
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #77
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gda_scooby View Post
Excellent source of information guys, thanks.

I have also recently purchased a £50 ebay tracker, not the same as the one above though.

Will get it installed in a few weeks time - looking forward to seeing how accurate it is.

Even if it gets within 100m thats a very good starting point.

G
Its great that your looking to improve security but why in a few weeks time, sooner rather than later would be my advise. You'd be amazed how many people comment about the security upgrades, do nothing, then a post appears about their car being nicked.

Simply hiding your OBD port and nothing else takes less that 20 minutes (can be done in 10 once you have done it before) and it costs Nothing!

Anyone who hasn't done that or some other form of security upgrade is just asking to have their pride and joy taken and I'm afraid if with all this publicity and forum threads, if your car does go because you haven't been bothered to take action, then i have no sympathy.

Hope that doesn't sound harsh and it wasn't directed at you in any way scooby. I just wish people would be more proactive at times
      10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #78
gda_scooby
Rep
Drives: modified 335i coupe

I understand more than you know - you may have seen my car being reported stolen in Aberdeen on pistonheads recently - this is the car after it has been recovered. It was stolen with keys after gaining access to the house.

OBD port already moved, disklok on every night and keys secured. House is now also more secured.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #79
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gda_scooby View Post
I understand more than you know - you may have seen my car being reported stolen in Aberdeen on pistonheads recently - this is the car after it has been recovered. It was stolen with keys after gaining access to the house.

OBD port already moved, disklok on every night and keys secured. House is now also more secured.
Fair enough, Slightly different circs then as yours being a car key burglary as opposed to the usual MO. Glad to see you have taken action though and very pleased to read your car was found
      10-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #80
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would hard wire it (there is option), so it keep charging constantly.
In case if car is stolen, it will be on for 20-22 days, unless they find it and destroy it.
Done some further testing and the unit works well as a wireless one. I find the absolute location the best option - you txt the unit and it replies with the location which is within 100 yards
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #81
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

This is a great thread.
Lots of information.

For the time being, I have just moved the ODB port. (Moved it on the night I first read about these issues!!)

I can't imagine the thugs being bothered to try and look for where it has moved.

Anybody know if it can be coded that the window does not drop when the door lock is turned?

I know they can still break a window.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #82
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma View Post
Done some further testing and the unit works well as a wireless one. I find the absolute location the best option - you txt the unit and it replies with the location which is within 100 yards
Smashing,
As soon as funds allow, I will be buying this unit.
Have you tried 'geo fencing' as I am really eager to know how well that works. That would be the best thing if car is stolen.

Also have you tried its iphone application?
      10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #83
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
This is a great thread.
Lots of information.

For the time being, I have just moved the ODB port. (Moved it on the night I first read about these issues!!)

I can't imagine the thugs being bothered to try and look for where it has moved.

Anybody know if it can be coded that the window does not drop when the door lock is turned?

I know they can still break a window.
There is only one option:
No dropping of windows with remote.
And that can be coded.
      10-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #84
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Smashing,
Have you tried 'geo fencing' as I am really eager to know how well that works. That would be the best thing if car is stolen.

I noticed there are a few other similar devices on Ebay for around £40 too.

Haven't tried Geo Fencing yet and not using iPhone so can't try that out. The instructions booklet you get with the tracker is very good, covers a lot of different features you can tweak.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #85
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Definitely helpful in my situation
      10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #86
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma
Quote:
Smashing,

I noticed there are a few other similar devices on Ebay for around £40 too.

Haven't tried Geo Fencing yet and not using iPhone so can't try that out. The instructions booklet you get with the tracker is very good, covers a lot of different features you can tweak.
Are the £40 kit is same as this?
I doubt that as cheaper stuff may have less options if I am not wrong.
Best thing about this kit is 15 days of stand by time, so even thieves remove the battery wiring, you can still relocate it if this device gets gps/ gsm signals.
      10-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #87
basitha
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i se

Sound advice. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #88
DarkEnigma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are the £40 kit is same as this?
I doubt that as cheaper stuff may have less options if I am not wrong.
Best thing about this kit is 15 days of stand by time, so even thieves remove the battery wiring, you can still relocate it if this device gets gps/ gsm signals.
True, those units could be inferior. At least we know this OEM is reliable. Did you grab one yet?
Appreciate 0