E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car idles like crazy after intake valve cleaning

01-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i

Car idles like crazy after intake valve cleaning

I cleaned my intake valves 3 days ago and decided that today was the day that I finally start it. I press the start button and engine starts stuttering like crazy and after like 4-5 seconds finally starts, but the idle is crazy. Rpms are going up and down from 600-1000. Didn’t hear anything bad like detonation or metallic clunks, but I decided to stop the engine after a few seconds as I got pretty scared.

I changed my coils, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, oil, ofhg, coolant, upgraded my charge pipe. All vacuum lines, sensors and bolts were connected back and torqued to spec. For the intake cleaning I used carb cleaner and some brake cleaner in the end. I am sure some carbon ended up in the cylinders, but I did crank my engine over for like 10 seconds with spark plugs out to blow out any debris that accumulated inside. The question is this normal and will the idle calm down or I am toast?

Last edited by thatllbe2000bucks; 01-18-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatllbe2000bucks View Post
I cleaned my intake valves 3 days ago and decided that today was the day that I finally start it. I press the start button and engine starts stuttering like crazy and after like 4-5 seconds finally starts, but the idle is crazy. Rpms are going up and down from 600-1000. Didn’t hear anything bad like detonation or metallic clunks, but I decided to stop the engine after a few seconds as I got pretty scared.

I changed my coils, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, oil, ofhg, coolant, upgraded my charge pipe. All vacuum lines, sensors and bolts were connected back and torqued to spec. For the intake cleaning I used carb cleaner and some brake cleaner in the end. I am sure some carbon ended up in the cylinders, but I did crank my engine over for like 10 seconds with spark plugs out to blow out any debris that accumulated inside. The question is this normal and will the idle calm down or I am fked?
Sounds like a very big vacuum leak.
      01-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 e46 325i, 2008 e90 335i

Check the vacuum connection on the side of the throttle body, make sure that connection is solid. Could be a leak from that, definitely sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will do that first thing in the morning. It actually could be a vacuum leak as I did drill into the intake manifold to install 1/4” line for the bov. What about the carbon deposits that probably got into the cylinders? Will they just burn off and not cause issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:

I changed my coils, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, oil, ofhg, coolant, upgraded my charge pipe. All vacuum lines, sensors and bolts were connected back and torqued to spec. For the intake cleaning I used carb cleaner and some brake cleaner in the end. I am sure some carbon ended up in the cylinders, but I did crank my engine over for like 10 seconds with spark plugs out to blow out any debris that accumulated inside. The question is this normal and will the idle calm down or I am fked?
Don't panic yet! Unless you've left the electrical connection to the throttle body disconnected (I did after cleaning my intake) you may just need to re-set adaptions/adaptations. With fully charged battery Do Not start vehicle but turn ignition Fully ON, hold gas pedal down full for 30 seconds then turn ignition OFF, release pedal, wait a minute and start vehicle.

Last edited by Cloverdale; 01-18-2022 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Sounds like you forgot to reconnect something. I wouldn't worry, go back and recheck all connections/wires. Unless you didn't properly close the valves while cleaning there should be no carbon deposits that made their way into the cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Ok first of all, from your post it seems you only tried to run it for like 5 seconds. Start the car again and wait and see if the idles idles out, like wait a good 2 minutes at least.

Also, any codes? If there is no codes I would reset adaptations and see what happens if it still happens after letting it idle.

And yeah, even if carbon deposits fall into cylinder I doubt it's gonna damage anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #8
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you guys for helping me out. It seems like the problem wasn’t that big of a deal it’s more that I got scared that something went wrong. What happened was my tial bov nipple that I tapped in the intake manifold popped off. I cleaned it and applied epoxy again. It seems to hold for now. What’s funny is that I didn’t get any codes (broken sensor??) except a misfire code in cylinder 6 which hasn’t come back. It’s probably due to some carbon sludge entering the cylinder. I’ll try to wot and see if I get any misfires or vacuum leaks from the bov nipple.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Thank you guys for helping me out. It seems like the problem wasn’t that big of a deal it’s more that I got scared that something went wrong. What happened was my tial bov nipple that I tapped in the intake manifold popped off. I cleaned it and applied epoxy again. It seems to hold for now. What’s funny is that I didn’t get any codes (broken sensor??) except a misfire code in cylinder 6 which hasn’t come back. It’s probably due to some carbon sludge entering the cylinder. I’ll try to wot and see if I get any misfires or vacuum leaks from the bov nipple.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-burger-m...IaAnu-EALw_wcB

Or purchase from RB Turbo
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0