E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #419
PiperG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Because I've never driven a turboed car, my judgement is not really accurate I guess. Just picked up my car on wednesday. I have about 200 miles on it. The only place I feel where the car lacks power is 1st gear. After 1st, my car feels like a rocket ship. Maybe someone can chime in and guide me to figure out where my car stands. It was a May '08 build, so I'm guessing 29.2?????

If the pre 29.2 cars were faster than mine, then I should get rid of it, because I'll get too many speeding tickets. I'm really happy with the pep of my E90, but 1st gear could be a little more ballsy.
2008 E90 335i.| Montego | Black Leather| Aluminum Trim | Premium | Sports Package with 18's | Sirius Sat Radio | Comfort Access | Rear fold down seats | Ordered on May 05, 2008. | Born on May 15, 2008 / Delivered July 23, 2008
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #420
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
I'm curious what versions did your car have before and after the update?
original program version that came with the car (purchased october '06) was on the car and was updated to the most current one. work detail doesn't list exact version.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #421
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

I am fairly sure I have the latest version of software, whatever that is now, because before they replaced the wastegate actuators, they did a software update that took several hours, that was about a month ago.

As for lag, I am convinced that I have less lag now than before they replaced the wastegate actuators. The car is rattle free and it runs good, sounds good, and I notice the lag I was experiencing between low gears has improved. The car is running tight!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #422
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
original program version that came with the car (purchased october '06) was on the car and was updated to the most current one. work detail doesn't list exact version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
I am fairly sure I have the latest version of software, whatever that is now, because before they replaced the wastegate actuators, they did a software update that took several hours, that was about a month ago.

As for lag, I am convinced that I have less lag now than before they replaced the wastegate actuators. The car is rattle free and it runs good, sounds good, and I notice the lag I was experiencing between low gears has improved. The car is running tight!
What color are your I-Drive screens?
      07-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #423
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

If you don't want your software "updated" just ask the service manager not to upgrade it. I just had my car in for oil service and the second HPFP replacement. I contacted the service manager before the appointment and asked not to have the software updated. He said that he would have it noted on the service ticket. When I brought the car in the following week my service invoice stated 'DO NOT UPGRADE SOFTWARE PER OWNERS REQUEST, IF ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT [....]."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #424
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
What color are your I-Drive screens?

The main menu color is brown.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #425
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
The main menu color is brown.
Well then you don't have 29.2/30.2.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #426
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Just a little piece of information for those who have considered doing a Noelle tune in order to fix their v29.2-imposed problems because it is based on a pre-29.2 version:

It seems like BMW diagnosis software has been updated. Noelle, who stated that his tune would not be overwritten by BMW, now tells otherwise.

This means that Noelle-tuned cars will no longer be not exempt from future DME updates. I'd guess this applies to Dinan tunes as well.
Meyer,

Owners of the Dinan tune have run into this before. Techs are SUPPOSED to see the stickers by the port and by the ecu compartment that say "HEY FOOL, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS!" but it happens anyway, from time to time. In fact, some people want it to happen from time to time to get all the other (non DME related) goodies and improvements that come in the newer Progmans. Anyway, it sounds like with Noelle it might not be the same, but with Dinan, once you've paid you can just go back and get it again if it ever gets wiped, for free. Some places MAY charge the hour labor, but my loclal guy said it would be free.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #427
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Well, I took my car in for some issues including hesitation and idle problems and also to get Dinan stage2. After they had the car 2 days i talked to the service manager and they took care of the idle, hesitation with an update. Then he asks me if i was aware that if I got Dinan my warranty would be immediateley voided. Imagine my surprise. He said something about a bulletin they got saying BMW will no longer honor the warranty if any engine upgradees are done. Of course i argued because now i had a new and probably as bad, version of progman and was hoping that would overrride it but it doesnt look like i will be getting it until I talk to BMW. Already talked to Dinan and they said it was not true and he misread something. That leaves me with the latest progman to test out on my ride home tomorrow. I am picking it up around noon and will find out what version they installed and since they are aboout 35 miles away, I will be able to get an idea of how it runs. Will let you know whenI get home tomorrow.
Quisp, just to clear up your/your SA's confusion... YES your warranty is voided the second you get Dinan. That's why Dinan picks up the warranty for your powertrain. If your engine goes boom boom then you'd take it to your dealer the same as before the tune and they would submit the bill to Dinan, within your 4 year/50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #428
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

eazatnove, but it isnt a blanket void of the warranty, right? BMW would cover things not related to the Dinan upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #429
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
eazatnove, but it isnt a blanket void of the warranty, right? BMW would cover things not related to the Dinan upgrade?

yeah, i was wondering the same thing. if automatic door lock breaks, would BMW blame it on Dinan flash and not cover it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #430
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
yeah, i was wondering the same thing. if automatic door lock breaks, would BMW blame it on Dinan flash and not cover it under warranty?
No way. It has to be proven within reasonable doubt to be caused by the Dinan flash. So...your turbos go, yeah, probably Dinan...your HPFP goes...probably NOT Dinan but they will probably blame them. Your dash has a rattle, or your windows act up, NOT Dinan and BMW fixes it like anything before your flash.

Edit - why the hell am I derailing this thread. Christ! Take the Dinan talk to a Dinan thread. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #431
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

well get this shit. My dealer had refused to do the Dinan upgrade. Flat out said no way. The excuse this time is that it puts them in a liability position becuase of emissions. They are trhe only Dinan in the state and one of two BMW dealers in the state. This sucks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #432
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Owners of the Dinan tune have run into this before. Techs are SUPPOSED to see the stickers by the port and by the ecu compartment that say "HEY FOOL, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS!" but it happens anyway, from time to time. In fact, some people want it to happen from time to time to get all the other (non DME related) goodies and improvements that come in the newer Progmans. Anyway, it sounds like with Noelle it might not be the same, but with Dinan, once you've paid you can just go back and get it again if it ever gets wiped, for free. Some places MAY charge the hour labor, but my loclal guy said it would be free.
It's a little different with Noelle, since he does the tuning only himself (well, matter-of-fact, there is at least one reseller in Switzerland). He will reflash the car if it is modded, but you may have to drive a few hundred kilometers to get to him. And I'm almost certain that Noelle does not post any stickers... you even have to buy the additional tuning warranty cover if you want it. I'd guess many of his customers do not tell their dealers about the tune.

Thus, the inability to overwrite was seen as a feature here in the past.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #433
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
No way. It has to be proven within reasonable doubt to be caused by the Dinan flash. So...your turbos go, yeah, probably Dinan...your HPFP goes...probably NOT Dinan but they will probably blame them. Your dash has a rattle, or your windows act up, NOT Dinan and BMW fixes it like anything before your flash.

Edit - why the hell am I derailing this thread. Christ! Take the Dinan talk to a Dinan thread. LOL
to derail further, just fyi there is no "within reasonable doubt" standard in the US legal system. there is the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard but it only applies in criminal cases. in civil cases based on a contract cause of action (that's all a warranty claim is) the standard is gonna be "by a preponderence of the evidence." Also, there is the issue of who has to prove the defect by a preponderence? Usually its the person bringing the claim, not the person that supplies the warranty. But sometimes there are presumptions which shift the burdens of proof. Anyways, as always in law, the answer is "it depends." But regardless, all this stuff only applies to trial, where you'd get a lawyer who is familiar with this stuff or rely on Dinan's lawyer or whoever.

In practicality, the way its supposed to work with dinan is you make a claim to bmw and if bmw refuses to cover dinan covers. It's easier if your bmw dealer is also the dinan dealer.

Back on topic, I haven't been around for a while, have they developed a fix for the turbo/throttle lag yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #434
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

ok...nothing really new here, but I spoke to my dealership's service manager today. He said they opened a puma case on my car and he would talk to the RTE (regional technical engineer?) again in the next couple of days. I think they would really like to help resolve this (probalby because I am a pita). He said he would call me in a couple of days once he talked to the FTE. But, he did sort of seem to indicate that there was no immediate solution in sight.

He asked me what the problem was and I told him the car seems like it is lagging, but that it may just be that it is not making much boost below 3k and that makes it seem like lag...the more I drive the car, this is my impression.

I told him I wanted to order an 2009 e90 but not if the car is going to drive like this 2007. He said something like "oh, that's an easy problem...you should definately add the dinan flash on the new car and that will fix all of this." So, I said..."yeah, but I'm afraid that if the motor explodes, I'll be caught in the middle while BMWNA and Dinan play hot potato with my warranty claim..."

His response was somthing like "No way...Dinan has been really good about warranty claims related to the flash and oil cooler...plus the dealership will be behind you 100%...we have to support our customer if we sell Dinan's stuff." He was very firm in saying that Dinan has been really good to work with on warranty claims. They have been a Dinan dealer for a while (5+ yrs, I'm sure).

Anyway, I thought some of you might be intersted in this even though it is not really any new info...while the svc mgr wasnt really able to resolve my problem, I definately felt like he was working for me on this. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #435
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok...nothing really new here, but I spoke to my dealership's service manager today. He said they opened a puma case on my car and he would talk to the RTE (regional technical engineer?) again in the next couple of days. I think they would really like to help resolve this (probalby because I am a pita). He said he would call me in a couple of days once he talked to the FTE. But, he did sort of seem to indicate that there was no immediate solution in sight.

He asked me what the problem was and I told him the car seems like it is lagging, but that it may just be that it is not making much boost below 3k and that makes it seem like lag...the more I drive the car, this is my impression.

I told him I wanted to order an 2009 e90 but not if the car is going to drive like this 2007. He said something like "oh, that's an easy problem...you should definately add the dinan flash on the new car and that will fix all of this." So, I said..."yeah, but I'm afraid that if the motor explodes, I'll be caught in the middle while BMWNA and Dinan play hot potato with my warranty claim..."

His response was somthing like "No way...Dinan has been really good about warranty claims related to the flash and oil cooler...plus the dealership will be behind you 100%...we have to support our customer if we sell Dinan's stuff." He was very firm in saying that Dinan has been really good to work with on warranty claims. They have been a Dinan dealer for a while (5+ yrs, I'm sure).

Anyway, I thought some of you might be intersted in this even though it is not really any new info...while the svc mgr wasnt really able to resolve my problem, I definately felt like he was working for me on this. We'll see...

Woot for the PUMA. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #436
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:

regarding Dinan standing behind their products and warranty.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #437
greyhound
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d Sedan 6AT

I was contacted two different times (it started with a satisfaction survey) and I expressed my anger about 29.02.

I could tell that they had heard this complaint before, and the second person I spoke with offered a subtle explanation that "perhaps" it was done in response to some drivetrain problems. My response was that I could care less, and if BMW does not feel comfortable with fielding warranty problems then they need to beef up the other end of the driveline, not detune the engine.

They told me to take it up with the dealer, and I will. I do not get the feeling that anyone is going to help. If they do, I will certainly report it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #438
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
I was contacted two different times (it started with a satisfaction survey) and I expressed my anger about 29.02.
I'm curious is your car step or manual?

Does anyone here have any more info on whether this problem is more prevalent/noticeable with the step cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #439
greyhound
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d Sedan 6AT

It's a Step.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #440
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States