E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

01-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #1497
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Hi Greg,

This is a great idea, I can definitely do the wash and spray seal with little issue!

What alternatives to the Z2 Pro, Z6 & Z8 combination would you suggest? I'd like to play with other products on the E91 as a test bed, and then possibly adopt on the E46. Maybe a seal that looks pretty good without wax, but looks even better with? I think I'd like to try the Poorboy's wax out on the first full detail, and then skip on the next to evaluate the difference.

Thanks again, getting attention like this from a pro is a great service to the board community (as an E90post newbie, still learning all the perks of membership)
Glad to help out!

If you want an awesome looking sealant that you don't have to use a wax afterward with the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant is definitely my pick. It looks amazing and protects for months while easy to use. If you wanted to you can layer a wax over it but it's not necessary. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #1498
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Glad to help out!

If you want an awesome looking sealant that you don't have to use a wax afterward with the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant is definitely my pick. It looks amazing and protects for months while easy to use. If you wanted to you can layer a wax over it but it's not necessary. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Hi Greg,

Was looking for a seal for the paint, seems the Metal Seal above is mainly used for wheels. Did you mean the "Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger" product?

Also, any recomendations for a QD alternative to Z6?

Thanks again!
      01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #1499
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Hey been having a real problem with our new m3 and my friends 335i (lemans blue and interlegos blue respectively). Recently we have noticed what looks to be like "pitting" or thousands of little "dots" in the paint work (Mostly on horizontal surfaces). Looks like someone poked the pairs thousands of times with a needle. Tried everything down to a suburf with optimum compound to remove them. The suburf defiantly made them a lot less noticeable but still there. What could these be? Am I safe to hit them with another pass or two of suburf. It's weird because they only recently became noticeable. Both cars had been polished by me when we first got them and the dots weren't there. I'm baffled
      01-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #1500
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Greg,

Was looking for a seal for the paint, seems the Metal Seal above is mainly used for wheels. Did you mean the "Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger" product?

Also, any recomendations for a QD alternative to Z6?

Thanks again!
You are absolutely correct, I meant to say the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger, my apologies. If you want to clean the surface and add just a bit of shine the Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (Anti-Static) Quick Detailer is a great choice. If you want more protection from a spray on product the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray with Polycharger is a very nice choice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #1501
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Hey been having a real problem with our new m3 and my friends 335i (lemans blue and interlegos blue respectively). Recently we have noticed what looks to be like "pitting" or thousands of little "dots" in the paint work (Mostly on horizontal surfaces). Looks like someone poked the pairs thousands of times with a needle. Tried everything down to a suburf with optimum compound to remove them. The suburf defiantly made them a lot less noticeable but still there. What could these be? Am I safe to hit them with another pass or two of suburf. It's weird because they only recently became noticeable. Both cars had been polished by me when we first got them and the dots weren't there. I'm baffled
Sorry to hear about this issue. It sounds like this is not overspray or any kind of contaminants on top of the clear coat, you seem sure it's beneath the surface. My guess would be that it could be a bad paint job and there are tiny pinholes aka solvent popping. Unfortunately if this is the case no amount of polishing will fix it because there is no paint there to be polished, the surface is actually missing some of the paint. If this sounds way off base please take some pictures and I'll do my best to provide more insight on what may be the situation here.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #1502
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
You are absolutely correct, I meant to say the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger, my apologies. If you want to clean the surface and add just a bit of shine the Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (Anti-Static) Quick Detailer is a great choice. If you want more protection from a spray on product the Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray with Polycharger is a very nice choice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Sounds great, thanks Greg, looking forward to testing out in the Spring
      01-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1503
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great, thanks Greg, looking forward to testing out in the Spring
Glad to help and don't hesitate to ask any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #1504
Aacaron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED E92 335i Oct 17

Garage List
2012 335i e92  [0.00]
Hi Greg, I recently purchased some products from you including Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000. I have a 6.5' orange and white pad for my porter cable. I Had my car prepped by the dealer (should have passed on it) and I have noticed some very light hazing on the corner of the rear bumper. Car is space grey.
I plan to use the polish with the orange pad first and then follow up with the white pad. Do you think this process will be abrasive enough to remove the hazing?
Thx in advance
      01-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #1505
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Hi Greg!

Q: I recently acquired this car and noticed that it has some type of substance caked on along the roof seal. Looks like it's from a bad detail job from the past. What is it (polish?) and how do I get rid of it? It has a very dry, chalk like texture.

PS. I'm just entering into the detailing world and will be doing a lot of reading on your site over the upcoming months. I look forward to acquiring a full line of detailing products once I better get a grasp of everything
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #1506
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacaron View Post
Hi Greg, I recently purchased some products from you including Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000. I have a 6.5' orange and white pad for my porter cable. I Had my car prepped by the dealer (should have passed on it) and I have noticed some very light hazing on the corner of the rear bumper. Car is space grey.
I plan to use the polish with the orange pad first and then follow up with the white pad. Do you think this process will be abrasive enough to remove the hazing?
Thx in advance
Sorry to hear about the dealer prep, unfortunately there bad work is all too common. As for the solution it's really hard to say without seeing it and ultimately just testing a combo out. You may want to just start off with the white pad and the SF4000 it's a great combo that has a good chance to remove the haze. If it doesn't work step up to the orange pad as you mentioned before. If that doesn't work you can step up to an orange pad and the Menzerna SI 1500 or the Meguiar's M105.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #1507
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Hi Greg!

Q: I recently acquired this car and noticed that it has some type of substance caked on along the roof seal. Looks like it's from a bad detail job from the past. What is it (polish?) and how do I get rid of it? It has a very dry, chalk like texture.

PS. I'm just entering into the detailing world and will be doing a lot of reading on your site over the upcoming months. I look forward to acquiring a full line of detailing products once I better get a grasp of everything
Most likely it's some dried up polish, sealant or wax. The longer it's been on the surface the more challenging it will be to remove. If it was very fresh almost any light degreaser could remove it but as the sun bakes it in it gets harder. I typically use the Poorboy's World Trim Restorer a few times and it's usually pretty successful. Hopefully this will do the trick for you as well.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #1508
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rock chips on my ROCKer panel; slightly smaller than pencil eraser.

I have the OEM paint stick + clear.

Is there a way to make it disappear (i.e. apply in stages; wet sand, continue)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #1509
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Most likely it's some dried up polish, sealant or wax. The longer it's been on the surface the more challenging it will be to remove. If it was very fresh almost any light degreaser could remove it but as the sun bakes it in it gets harder. I typically use the Poorboy's World Trim Restorer a few times and it's usually pretty successful. Hopefully this will do the trick for you as well.

Greg @ DI
Thanks for the input Greg. I will add that to the list
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #1510
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Rock chips on my ROCKer panel; slightly smaller than pencil eraser.

I have the OEM paint stick + clear.

Is there a way to make it disappear (i.e. apply in stages; wet sand, continue)?

Thanks!
The larger it is obviously the harder it is to take care of. It's very challenging to make touch up look work flawless. You are on the right track a light wet sanding will likely be necessary before you apply it. After that apply nice thin coats followed up by a light wet sanding, possibly more coats and then more wet sanding. Lastly you'll want to polish the area so you remove any haze from the wet sanding and it will feel smoother. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #1511
F1Senna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Quick question - I have a blue water metallic e90 and am looking for a good sealant + wax, my main concerns are:

1. It rains A LOT here - every 2nd day so I'd like a product that sheets off the water and maintains the shine well

2. I'm currently looking at the Blackfire wet diamond as the sealant and the poorboys natty blue paste wax, but I read that the PB is more for darker paint? The blue water metallic paint is light so not sure if this product is correct?

3. Any other products on your site that you would recommend : microfiber towels and applicator products for the sealant + wax

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #1512
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

1 + 2.) I think you are on the right track with the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger first and then a wax layered on top of it. The Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax looks great on all colors it just seems to be at it's absolute best when it's on darker colors, but it should look great on the light blue as well. If you want some of the best protection that looks amazing on blue paint the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax is a favorite of mine. I've always liked the extended protection their waxes offer and very tight water beading.

3.) I would apply each one with a separate CLEAN applicator, the DI Accessories Yellow Foam Applicator Pad or the Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad are both great. Wait at least 15+ minutes before buffing off the excess product with a CLEAN microfiber towel. For sealants and waxes I can typically use about 1 - 2 towels per coat I remove, therefore I'd suggest getting 2 - 4 of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towels.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1513
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Is it bad to powerwash the car every other day?

I do to keep the salt off but I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good.

Also I have marks from tree sap that got on my car in the fall. I've since cleaned the area, but it looks like those older cars that have failed clear coats. I haven't tried clay bar or wax on it to get it off yet but would these likely get the crap off?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #1514
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Greg,

A local dealer used some armor all type product that has turned my soft leatherette into a harder shiny vinyl. Is this reversible?

I hope to come visit you on my way back to syracuse next month.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #1515
Neill7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Coupe

hey George.

sorry i'm not knowledgeable about any of this tech stuff like everyone else on the site. But i bought an e92 coupe and it's Jet Black. I park outdoors, i have no other option. Living in Florida, with my last car the sun completely baked the paint.

Now that I have a car I care about, is there a way to protect my car from sun baking without covering it everyday and uncovering when I want to drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1516
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Is it bad to powerwash the car every other day?

I do to keep the salt off but I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good.

Also I have marks from tree sap that got on my car in the fall. I've since cleaned the area, but it looks like those older cars that have failed clear coats. I haven't tried clay bar or wax on it to get it off yet but would these likely get the crap off?
Power washing is a tough one as there are many who swear by it and others will never do it. The risk seemingly is that you are blasting dirt particles in to and across the paint. As you stand further back and reduce the angle of impact it should be safer but you lose the advantage of the pressure. I personally prefer a traditional two bucket wash or I incorporate a foam gun/cannon. Salt by itself is not terribly dangerous but when it reacts with water in cold temperatures it seemingly does maximum damage. While moisture is in the air always some argue it's more harmful to wash the paint regularly and introduce water to the surface. Obviously many other conditions will impact the results here, but you can see the potential for harm even with the best intentions. I would recommend washing on a regular basis but probably not quite so often and make sure you get a good drying afterward. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you here but I hope this helps.

Ironically if the sap is very fresh pressure washing is a good way to remove it without scrubbing it excessively. For old build ups it's really tough to remove, but usually a combination of Stoner Tarminator, mineral spirits or an adhesive remover will help followed by a clay bar and polish. If the marks have etched the paint you'll need to polish the area to restore a more uniform appearance. Usually the Meguiar's M105 and M205 are my go to options here. If the sap has eaten all the way through the clear coat it may need to see a body shop or possibly a little wet sanding and polishing will fix it. If you're not sure try to post up some quality photos and I'll do my best to help. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1517
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Greg,

A local dealer used some armor all type product that has turned my soft leatherette into a harder shiny vinyl. Is this reversible?

I hope to come visit you on my way back to syracuse next month.
Sorry to hear that is terrible news. Most likely you will be able to reverse this issue but I would treat it asap. I would highly recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo. It's not cheap but it's highly effective and well worth the investment. I've used it on cardboard hard leather before with outstanding results. Check out this step by step guide and before and after pictures when you get time - http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/. If you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #1518
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill7 View Post
hey George.

sorry i'm not knowledgeable about any of this tech stuff like everyone else on the site. But i bought an e92 coupe and it's Jet Black. I park outdoors, i have no other option. Living in Florida, with my last car the sun completely baked the paint.

Now that I have a car I care about, is there a way to protect my car from sun baking without covering it everyday and uncovering when I want to drive?
Congrats on the new car! I would just protect each exposed surface as part of a regular detailing schedule. At least 1 - 2 times per year I'd suggest a full detail and in between you can do smaller details to keep the car clean and protected.

I'd suggest a quality sealant for the exterior paint, headlights, glass, coated/smooth trim, wheels, etc. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is a great option that looks amazing on black and protects very well. The paint will oxidize over time and polishing it will be critical to maintaining that fresh and beautiful appearance. The Meguiar's M205 is a nice one step process if interested in doing it by hand. If you want noticeable better results try using both the Meguiar's M105 and M205 with a very safe and easy to use buffer (i.e. Porter Cable 7424 XP). A kit like this would be ideal (DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit) as it will restore virtually any paint to like new condition.

For the exterior and interior vinyl, plastic, leather and rubber surfaces I'd highly recommend the 303 303 Aerospace Protectant! It has superior UV protection and when applied nice and light it's a pretty matte finish so it doesn't look or feel greasy. You can also use the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on fabrics if you want to help protect them as well!

If I missed any areas of concern please let me know. I hope this information was helpful and don't forget we offer 10% off to forum members with the code e90post. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0