E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > HEEEEEEELP PUUUHHLEEEEZZE N55 down

06-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
Benniese90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i e90

HEEEEEEELP PUUUHHLEEEEZZE N55 down

I am really scratching my head on this one so I am reaching out to better minds to crowdsource this problem. God help me.

Car: 2011 bmw e93 n55 2 door convertible
Software I have: Schwaben Foxwell and BMW Standard Tools, and am in the process of downloading and installing ista+ and istaP

Brief history...

......car was having issue with cylinder 6 misfire causing it to go into partial shutoff limpmode anytime you tried to go faster than about 50 mph.

multiple misfires, cylinder 6 misfire codes, reduced engine output

replaced coils, plugs, battery, starter, alternator, maf sensor, cleaned vanos, still the same issue.

Then pulled injectors. Had alot of carbon build up on them. Carefully cleaned them with injector cleaner, installed new teflon gaskets and reinstalled injectors.

Crank but no start. Then battery began draining. Then suspected fuel flow issues as I couldnt get the fuel pumps to turn on with the foxwell tool when before it would turn the pumps on no problem.

Troubleshooted my but off with every sensor, removed battery then removed ecu harnesses and checked every wire for continuity from ecu harness connector to the injectors coils etc. all good, cleaned all connectors and contacts then charged battery and tried it.

Very very hard to start, idles at about 500rpm, engine shuts down cylinder 1 and 6, engine shakes violently, exhaust sounds bad like it wants to backfire, flooring the gas pedal and the rpms wont go over 4k, when i put it in gear it doesnt even have enough power to pull itself up a hill although on a flat surface it will move, multiple codes and errors. Sometimes the codes are different and sometimes they stay the same.

Here are the most recent codes that are staying the same....
2d43/present Valvetronic, adjustment range: fault range check
2dd6/present Valvetronic servomotor, position sensors: short circuit or line break (open circuit)
2ee0/present combustion misfiring, several cylinders: fuel injection deactivation
2ef4/present combustion misfiring, cylinder 6: fuel injection deactivation
2ee4/present ...........cylinder 1........

I have seen some crazy codes on inpa but i believe they were dye to the battery deep discharge because once i charged the battery those codes never came back.

A couple of times i saw a code for the hpfp but no code for it now.

i have checked every fuse and relay. They are good.

I suspect the fuel pump control module, the low pressure fuel pump, the high pressure fuel pump, the fuel pressure sensors, the injectors, the valvetronic motor and I especially suspect the devil so the next time i go out there im taking a candle a cross and some holy water. SOP(standard operating prayers) are not enough. As these parts are pretty expensive id like to pin it down before i go replacing anything else.

I have many many screenshots of inpa running and inpa codes but not sure what anyone would need to get a better diagnosis. I am doing the ista+ installation right now so as soon as i get that going i will run whatever diagnostics it has on it.

please note that i cannot get the valvetronic motor to reset or relearn. but even if it was flat dead i should still have power right?

ANY IDEAS? i feel like its something simple that im overlooking.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:36 AM   #2
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Sounds like you’ve got a couple/few things going on.

I replaced 4 out of 6 injectors earlier this year and found then to be completely caked with black soot. I replaced them one at a time as I kept seeing a new “bad” one as I replaced the worst of the bunch. However, before replacing my first one, coincidentally #6, I thought I would just clean it. We’ll, that didn’t make much difference at all. The holes where the fuel sprays out are so small that if you brush the tips they are just going to clog. Replacement is the only way to go but you will need ISTA to upload the news injector calibration values.

I also did my valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft at that time. Leading up to this repair was an erratic idle with car shutting down until it warmed up. Cold start was terrible but hot start was OK. I would also get frequent CEL with reduced power mode.

Looking at your codes it seems that injector #6 is still a problem (probably worse, now) since it is being shut down. Replace it. I diagnosed my weak injects by looking at timing corrections after I had just replaced plugs and coils. Cylinders with timing cuts have weak injectors after née plugs and coils.

You also need to look at your valvetronic. If you disconnected the harness while doing other work, make sure the connection is free of dirt or oil. However, your codes indicate a dead valvetronic. Did you have VVT codes before doing work on injector #6? Your VVT might have been on the way out.

You will need ISTA to upload new injector values and it also has a diagnostic mode for VVT that checked the harness, motor, eccentric, and connection to DME.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
Benniese90
Private
Rep

Thanks for the response, ideas, and tips and shared information. I really appreciate any insights i can get into this.

I agree with alot of what you said, i just wanted to answer you.

No, before this there werent any problems or issues with the valvetronic motor at all.

Harness connections and wires are super good and have been checked multiple times to ensure so.

I am 2 days into the ista+ nightmare installation. I paid about $89 for it and it seems like they just gave me the free link on mega. I went with it and paid mega site to download the large files. The downloads and extractions take forever. So im past that and am trying to see now if I can install it with the included instructions. When and if I get that done then I will definitely utilize the diagnostic features that you discussed. I cant wait to get to that point.

On the injector cleaning, heres what i did, dont judge me...it does work as ive done it sooo many times in the past with great results:

Remove injector carefully, keep them in order, anytime you handle them, handle with care to protect it, then spray tips with contact cleaner spray and wipe as much of the black carbon off as you can with a paper towel, then (optional) you can let the tip sit/soak in a shot glass of injector cleaner for awhile...longer the better then wipe again. At this point almost all or all of the black carbon deposits will be gone from sight. Now get a 9v or 12 volt battery and use alligator clips to hook up the injector but dont apply power just yet to it. (NOTE: THESE ARE THE SOLENOID TYPE INJECTORS, NOT THE PEIZO ONES) The you can either attach a water hose or a water bottle to the injectors threaded inflow port. This next part takes some coordination but is doable. Apply your water flow by turning on the hose or by squeezing the water bottle.....as you are doing this begin tapping the connection to activate the injectors solenoid. As you do this you will see the injector spraying water out of the holes. Keep doing this until you see the water spray out in a star shaped pattern as there are six tiny holes in the injector tip. Doing this will ensure that the injectors tip holes and insides are unclogged from the wiping or any other reasons. Then you reinstall it.

The only problem is sometimes the carbon i believe can actually make a makeshift seal so when you remove the carbon now it exposes the weakened spot that the carbon plugged and can leak or not seal correctly. I believe that may be the case in this instance. Although ive never had this problem before.

Once i see what ista says, then i may need to replace the injectors and VVT.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniese90 View Post
I am 2 days into the ista+ nightmare installation. I paid about $89 for it and it seems like they just gave me the free link on mega. I went with it and paid mega site to download the large files. The downloads and extractions take forever. So im past that and am trying to see now if I can install it with the included instructions. When and if I get that done then I will definitely utilize the diagnostic features that you discussed. I cant wait to get to that point.

FYI: I paid $10 on eBay for all those files on a disc. Installation took the better part of a day due to an older laptop and some HUGE files. Some steps were also a bit unclear, probably due to translation from Russian.

ISTA is absolutely worth the headaches to install. Tremendous to have in the "toolbox". I don't know how I got through 20 years without it.

Good Luck.
      06-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Benniese90
Private
Rep

thanks, I just finally got it installed. Tested and working.

I now need to figure out how to set up the cable as the cable isnt communicating and the instructions didnt say how to set up the cable.

Yeah i was pretty sure i got robbed lol Live and learn i guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

I had to download a driver to make the cable work. I’m using the Twisted Tuning cable from my MHD
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
Benniese90
Private
Rep

wow, i got no luck.

it appears im missing a file in ediabas called obd.ini

also in ista under VCI config it wont give me the option to select ediabas standard settings. The only options i have are:
1.pass thru tool (SAE J2534)
2.dealer organisation ICOM/ENET local area network
Thats it.

So now im jumping through that hoop or ive been trying to jump through it for the past 4 hours or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniese90 View Post
wow, i got no luck.

it appears im missing a file in ediabas called obd.ini

also in ista under VCI config it wont give me the option to select ediabas standard settings. The only options i have are:
1.pass thru tool (SAE J2534)
2.dealer organisation ICOM/ENET local area network
Thats it.

So now im jumping through that hoop or ive been trying to jump through it for the past 4 hours or so.
Spend the $10 on eBay
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #9
Benniese90
Private
Rep

I did. I ordered the bmw icom cable and i also got my bimmergeeks cable to work. Its working now. I made a thread about how to solve it for the next person on here.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
molniya
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post

You will need ISTA to upload new injector values and it also has a diagnostic mode for VVT that checked the harness, motor, eccentric, and connection to DME.
How do you check harness, motor, eccentric, and connection to DME with ISTA, I have the following codes 2E0F, 2D43 or 2DCE.
Once in a while Limp mode on start, every cold/hot start is bad though engine shaking a little bit, RPMs jump from 600 - 900 then go back. Sometimes it even stalls on the startup. Also no noise when you unlock the car, not sure what is wrong with my VVT system.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #11
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by molniya View Post
How do you check harness, motor, eccentric, and connection to DME with ISTA, I have the following codes 2E0F, 2D43 or 2DCE.
Once in a while Limp mode on start, every cold/hot start is bad though engine shaking a little bit, RPMs jump from 600 - 900 then go back. Sometimes it even stalls on the startup. Also no noise when you unlock the car, not sure what is wrong with my VVT system.
Once you have ISTA up and running you can go through built in diagnostic menus.

I don't remember exactly how to get to it now but it's in the same area as the VANOS tests. I think all the trouble codes come up when you hook up the laptop and connect to the car. At that point, go to the DME and look for the VVT codes and click or double click on them. That will open the diagnostic dialog to address those problems. Youtube is your friend on this.

Last edited by drwillb; 06-21-2021 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
Benniese90
Private
Rep

Thanks...i will let you know how it goes. Im going back to the car tomorrow first thing in the morning.
Appreciate 0