E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Thunderhill Track Day with NCRC

09-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

Thunderhill Track Day with NCRC

Had a very fine track session with the NCRC folks...I lucked out with only about 15 cars in my session...plenty of room at Thunderhill east. Various types of cars out there, lots of Corvettes, Cameros, smattering of M3s, a few Porsche 911 GTS's.

Everyone was pretty cool although it seemed that in the early going there were quite a few folks going off track. Personally, I didn't see anyone doing anything silly or dangerous. One unlucky track mate in a different session did come back a little shaken as he had a tank slapper at the very speedy turn 8 (usually about 90-95 mph). I would say about a 9 on the pucker factor!

They have four different groups - open, point by, solo, and driving school. I did solo, but next time I will probably do point by. Solo it seems has the most varied experience level. As I said, I didn't see anything silly, but then again we had a very small group. Probably a bit safer in point-by.

Attached is a video of my session. Didn't push too hard, just got some new Arc-8s, running Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, 245/40/17 - square set up. Much lighter than stock, noticeable on spool up, and stiff sidewalls. Easy to throttle steer. Also was running a M3 convertible front sway bar along with the bilstein and eibach spring combo. These changes made a huge different especially in turn 11, a slow speed off camber turn, where I was pushing with my old staggered stock set up running Hankook evo12.

One other change from my last track day was that I installed the Schroth quick fit 4 point harness, that buckles into the existing seatbelt female ends. Worked great! My left leg use to ache after track events, trying to brace against the dead pedal...this time, walked away without a limp!

Can't wait till my next session where I'll push a bit more...

https://youtu.be/osacxtdHSWs
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

Nice! glad to see other tracked 335d's!

any mods?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
Nice! glad to see other tracked 335d's!

any mods?
As I live in CA, and its my daily driver I have to be judicious....so I have a JDB, Bilstein B12 pro-kit, the napa rubber upper shock mounts and that's really about it. It still goes fine and honestly, I see lots of folks on the track in much faster vehicles that are slower. Much more about technique and the D has plenty enough.

Future upgrades - stiffer rear suspension mount bushings, more aggressive brake pads, EGR delete - paper clip method. But mostly, just need to get out to the track more!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any issues with the transmission overheating or going into limp mode? What other tracks have you been to? How long are the sessions you stay out on?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330MX View Post
Any issues with the transmission overheating or going into limp mode? What other tracks have you been to? How long are the sessions you stay out on?
This was my 4th track day and so far no transmission overheating nor limp mode. The last two track days were pretty warm, 1st one was in the high 90's, this one low 90's.

The only thing I really experienced was heat sink ( I think). I found out that my air filter (stock) was somewhat restricted and it must have been pulling air from the auxiliary intake - right next to the turbos. It occurred at the end of two sessions in the afternoon when it was the hottest. Perhaps it could have been in limp mode, it wasn't super slow, just not as responsive as earlier in the sessions.This last track day I didn't run into that issue, but if I ever get the time, I'm going to open up the airbox as has been mentioned here on this forum.

The sessions in this case were 5- 20 minute sessions, so not very long. My previous track day they were 7 - 30 minute sessions....which to me was very taxing. I have a 2 hr drive home afterwards, so I'd usually not do the final session.

If you are considering a track day, I'd highly encourage it. Its a blast and you learn a lot, once you get over the thought of balling up your daily driver...IMHO, you have to do something really panicky to do that!

Other tracks that I have done, were Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca....but many years ago in my e36 M3.

Last edited by Marin_Oil_Burner; 09-21-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

my last track day, first session, i got out there, by T4 i was in limp mode... i turned my JBD down to 80% (previously at 85%) no other issues after that. ( i kind of did jump on it without a proper warm up.

ive havent had any issues with the car on track, super fun, especially when you get the ///M guys pointing you by. also they will be jealous of how little fuel you consume. I can go about a full weekend on 1 tank of fuel. typically 7 - 20 mins sessions x2. think i get like 10ish MPG.
Appreciate 0