E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Full Off Road build guide for 335d

04-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #23
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmlot View Post
is that the correct ebay link for the exhaust? Doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not even close to knowing as much as I want to for exhaust.
It is not. PM Iaknown about exhausts, or check out fixmyvw.com
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #24
McDree
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

First post reply. thank you for all of this information. My 2011 335d has many of those already and I plan to do more, but first I have to fix an issue with a disconnected wire on the under belly or bottom that was yanked out in a bit of a vehicle vs. muddy road incident. I look forward to some help sorting that issue out. Thank you. McDree
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #25
yoyolate
Rep
Drives: 335d

Ebay

Unless the seller on Ebay is reputable, like CARID, I would stay clear. I've never had positive experiences with car parts on ebay.

The last try was a set of headlamps for a Volvo S60 that worked all of 12 minutes, after a month of back and forward with the seller, I ended pulling the trigger on the buyer protection guarantee and I got all my almost thousand dollars back.

I got almost all my parts from AARODRIGUEZ (fixmyeuro), and they are stand up guys for sure. Sometimes they take a little to answer emails but they answer the phone right away. I also felt I owed them some love for being the only ones who posted decent "how to videos" in the tube.

I got the Buzzken from them, and it shipped a lot later than I would have hopped which ended up in my vehicle being on jack stands for 2 weeks (good thing I have 3 cars, so I was using the S60 with the busted headlamps and my R1200CLC for the duration).

But they were very accommodating on everything, including sorting out an order mistake I made.

The other parts I got from Forge motorsports, Diesel Ops (because the videos that convinced me to get the 335d on the first place were from one of their sales men FlyingGato) and an outfit in Lithuania called bimmertune.com

In fact, the stuff I ordered from bimmertune arrived earlier than the stuff I order from everywhere else which to me was impressive. And the parts are high quality (racepipe, swirlflap blanks, manifold gasket kit, EGR and Cooler Delete Kit).

But I have no qualms recommending you get everything from AARODRIGUEZ, he also makes his own racepipes and swirl flap deletes, and a very nice CCV breather hose that is a very nice upgrade to the horrible thing we have OEM that by now is most certainly disintegrating, it turns hard and brittle.

Word of advice... Either get a down pipe with the DOC (incorrectly called Catalytic Converter) or just gut out your DPF/DOC can of the DPF of course, leave the DOC in.

The smell is... well it is putrid. And this is not my first Diesel, in fact I used to have a 524td which was a real chimney, and then I had a 90hp Jetta TD, and then a Golf TDI and none smelled like this BMW Diesel.

So while straight pipes are a blast, so much so that a little throttle action on neutral is enough to discourage would be street racers in lesser cars like Mustangs and Camaros and Metrics, the Smell is something to behold.

And for what I have heard, the loss of sound joy is marginal when you put a DOC if you don't have mufflers.

Oh, final note.

My down-pipe back exhaust is from an outfit called Orion sold by Diesel Ops. It was cheap as cheap gets, less than 600 bucks, and it is a quality product. Clamps seal tight, the exhaust tips are gorgeous, and the fit is nearly perfect. It just needs some mild adjustment here and there.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW View Post
Great thread!

Just wanted to mention that we have a Charge Air boost pipe for $129 that includes all seals and better quality clamps than the other pipe that you had posted.
http://www.fixmyvw.com/bmw-335d-upgr...-intercoolers/

i can't find this on the website, are you still selling them?
      05-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #27
sparkylocal48
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 335D  [0.00]
Will these tunes pass emissions? I just bought a 2011 335d and the SCR is causing my vehicle to throw a P207F code. I would like to go with a ABC delete and get a tune but
I don't want to pay any fines.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #28
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Is the swirl flap delete really desirable on the M57? I have read of problems with flaps breaking off on the Euro variant; is it also a problem on the U.S. models?
They are very usefull, especially in modded engine.
Cdi engine needs a good swirl. (working pricipals)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #29
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
They are very usefull, especially in modded engine.
Cdi engine needs a good swirl. (working pricipals)
Have you seen many tuners keep the swirl flaps working? I know they delete the error but do they bother to remove the actual function?

Only drawback seems to be that they start leaking after a while. Anyone know a place that sells the flaps and seal inserts to replace?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

No, maybe I am the only one. It looks like quite a few people are interested in how the engine really works.
Great majority of the tuners uses some editing program, like Swiftec. So, they can do, what the editor can do.
I'm an old man and using still WinOls.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      07-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #31
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

If I had a damos or map pack I'd love to check it out but edc17cp09 doesn't seem to have it.
I retuned my tdi years ago finding many things the tuner missed and shared it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:53 AM   #32
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
If I had a damos or map pack I'd love to check it out but edc17cp09 doesn't seem to have it.
I retuned my tdi years ago finding many things the tuner missed and shared it all.
Sent me your email ...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #33
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex sol View Post
i will install the catch can.

i blocked off the egr and it put my D into limp mode. does it require a tune?

codes were P401 and p402 - either not enough Exhaust Gas or too much... i think the p402 put it into the limp mode

how about meth injection?
How could you block off a main component of the car's emissions system and not expect it to throw a fit? Of course it will and yes you most definitely need a tune to disable that system.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #34
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkylocal48 View Post
Will these tunes pass emissions? I just bought a 2011 335d and the SCR is causing my vehicle to throw a P207F code. I would like to go with a ABC delete and get a tune but
I don't want to pay any fines.
Any system tuned out will show as NOT READY when they scan your car for readiness checks. The systems will never complete their adaptations because they are disabled.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #35
tadamson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

This is all super helpful. What a great source of knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #36
bbowden
Rep

Great write up

Great guide, thanks for the work
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #37
dscollins
dscollins
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0D SE 2014

Hi do you have any written instruction for cylinder head removal
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #38
hanxter7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Hey everybody, I know I am a little old to this thread, haven't seen any recent posts in this 335d or m57 turbo discussions. Any way, I'm trying to figure out the def delete. I have removed the whole stock exhaust and dpf and egr cooler, but the Def tank appears to be one whole tank that thins out in the center to make room, maybe the drivetrain? I'm not sure what to do here, I could try to cut the tank with a Sawzall, but I'm hoping I am missing something. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #39
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

hanxter7,
The DEF tank is removed from under the car. Remove the aluminum heat shield, then remove the bolts holding in the DEF tank. It all drops down as one big unit (passive tank, active tank, sensors, etc.). You will have to look where the hoses and wires connect and remove them at their connections (if you plan on reinstalling them). There is a pump located behind the left rear wheel that can also be removed. This is also done from under the car and it is behind a cover (8mm socket for the screws). Note: there is one electric plug in this area that goes to the left rear tail lights. Be sure to plug it back in. Follow the wires and you can easily tell which wire bundle goes to the tail light.
Appreciate 0