E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Latest lease deals

01-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #67
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
....And how much fun could you have in a car that isn't yours.....
That's a strange British hang up about not "owning" your car.

Fair enough if you're talking about a garage queen that you're keeping for years. But a daily driver for 2/3/4 years? What difference does it make if it's cash buy or PCP or PCH or Lease or HP whatever?

As long as it's exclusively yours to use as you wish, then in the end it's all down to £ per month x No. of months, that's all. A holiday rental might get some abuse cos it's going back in a few days, but 2/3/4 year lease car you wouldn't abuse as you'd lessen the ownership pleasure, just as you would if it was your "own" car. Although calling it "ownership" when it's actually secured on finance is a weak link.

I did think I'd look after the Merc less, but I clean it and look after it just as much as previous "owned" cars because I want it to be nice for me to use for the remainder of the "rental".

Last edited by doughboy; 01-28-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #68
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Thanks mate but I've already gone ahead with M135i through a main dealer on PCP instead of lease.
With regards to insurance who's the legal owner on a PCP car ?
With PCP you are the legal owner. But the finance is secured on the car so they can take it off you of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #69
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That's a strange British hang up about not "owning" your car.

Fair enough if you're talking about a garage queen that you're keeping for years. But a daily driver for 2/3/4 years? What difference does it make if it's cash buy or PCP or PCH or Lease or HP whatever?

As long as it's exclusively yours to use as you wish, then in the end it's all down to £ per month x No. of months, that's all. A holiday rental might get some abuse cos it's going back in a few days, but 2/3/4 year lease car you wouldn't abuse as you'd lessen the ownership pleasure, just as you would if it was your "own" car. Although calling it "ownership" when it's actually secured on finance is a weak link.

I did think I'd look after the Merc less, but I clean it and look after it just as much as previous "owned" cars because I want it to be nice for me to use for the remainder of the "rental".
Maybe it's just me. But if i knew i was owning a car for 2 years and was able to hand it back without worrying about the condition of the engine and hidden components, I'd be honestly less inclined to warm up the gearbox and engine oil temps before giving it beans. I'd probably care less as i'd be handing it back.

I own my cars outright and i treat them to regular (more than prescribed) oil, filter, gearbox oil changes. I wouldn't do the same with a lease car. And if the oil temps got high, would i change the oil. Not in the lease car.

Put it this way. I won't be buying a 2nd hand 2 year old Golf R in a few years time. They'll have been ragged pretty hard i'd imagine in the most part.

But maybe i'm just talking about me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #70
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I get what your saying. But even your "own" cars are going "back" as far as you are concerned, whether to a trader or private buyer you will be waving goodbye.

The only thing that has made me look after other cars more was that they were older, or that I didn't know how long I was keeping it for, so looking after my own interests in the end.

Whether the car is leased or "owned" if it was new and you had a defined ownership period I would think you would treat it the same?

It's mechanical sympathy that makes me warm the E63 properly, whoever owns it. But other than that I think I use it as MB engineers would expect.

But I wouldn't but a 2 year old leased one either, it might have been used by someone like you
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #71
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think it's because i keep my cars for quite a few years. Eg Datsun is over 5 years, X5 over 4 (neither of which are under threat of replacement) and the 306gti6 i bought to go racing in, is getting treated very well. I might not even take it racing as i'm getting a lot of fun out doing all the mechanics myself. Prior to that a Renault Clio for 9 years. Saying that i have written off 2 cars so it doesn't always go to plan.

But you are right. I'm saying i would rag a lease car, but having never had a lease car i can't comment. Maybe i would treat it well like i do all my cars. Although i'm still not sure if i'd overdo the oil/filter changes. Also i like to fit a nice stereo, and 'parking sensors' on my cars and customise them a little, which i wouldn't do if i was leasing. And that's part of the attachment to my cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #72
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I am sticking strictly to the service schedule, bare minimum of course, so I'm not over doing that side, but I do clean it and warm it up like my own car and generally mind potholes etc.

I worry now I'm older that there are more nice cars than I have years left, so keeping one for more than 2 years means I'm missing out on something else..

But I do really miss being able to alter the car in any way, that is what usually keeps me interested in a car. But I'm putting up with it for the cheap deal.

A 2013 GT- R is what I'm after (used buy) if I can't get another daft cheap lease deal later this year.

.....especially as we live 20 minutes from Severn Valley Motorsport.....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:43 AM   #73
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am sticking strictly to the service schedule, bare minimum of course, so I'm not over doing that side, but I do clean it and warm it up like my own car and generally mind potholes etc.

I worry now I'm older that there are more nice cars than I have years left, so keeping one for more than 2 years means I'm missing out on something else..

But I do really miss being able to alter the car in any way, that is what usually keeps me interested in a car. But I'm putting up with it for the cheap deal.

A 2013 GT- R is what I'm after (used buy) if I can't get another daft cheap lease deal later this year.

.....especially as we live 20 minutes from Severn Valley Motorsport.....
Once you have the GT-R it will be very difficult to move up in terms of performance so don't worry too much about missing out

The only issue i have is actually using the performance especially if you go to Telford (actually they've moved now) The roads are usually too cold or wet. Eg i haven't driven it in about 3 months. Took it out last week and had it going sidewards at 60 while driving down the motorway! That's not my idea of fun! Maybe on a open air field. I keep thinking about going down the syvecs route which although not cheap will make the car's power more usable. Hmmmmm might start a thread on that on the forum.

As for altering and working on cars. I'm very good at breaking things (eg i broke the gas bonnet strut mount on the gtr while fitting - and i've still to remedy) so i bought an old 306 gti for me to work on. That's lot of frustration but lots of fun. It would make more sense to buy ready built. But like you i like to invest in my cars with a bit of myself. Usually blood, sweat and tears
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #74
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Not so much missing out on performance, but missing out on something different that's all.

Project cars? I wish. We're in the process of making a 1200 sqft Victorian brick barn out back habitable, by habitable I mean dry and warm for a workshop and several cars and motorbikes.

New roof this year (ten grand) power and lighting too. Bit by bit......
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 05:35 AM   #75
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not so much missing out on performance, but missing out on something different that's all.

Project cars? I wish. We're in the process of making a 1200 sqft Victorian brick barn out back habitable, by habitable I mean dry and warm for a workshop and several cars and motorbikes.

New roof this year (ten grand) power and lighting too. Bit by bit......
Well Jel as the kids would say.

I have a 2 car driveway so working on the car is a wet cold experience. Would love a workshop like that! I'd be in it all the time causing myself all sort of injuries with power tools i didn't know how to use

Good luck with the project.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #76
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hopefully I can get the barn done before I'm retired (20 years away) and can't afford the cars to put in it...

Re SVM, AFAIK they're not in the new place just yet. But it's only round the corner anyway. Still on the same Halesfield Industrial Estate in Telford.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #77
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Doughboy whereabouts are you then I'm in Telford my self.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #78
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Russ200 - up the A519 from Newport, just outside Eccleshall
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #79
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy
Russ200 - up the A519 from Newport, just outside Eccleshall
I'm in Wellington so not really that far away we should try to organise a west mids meet
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #80
doughboy
Major General
Rep

ha ha, I'm too old for that youngsters meet stuff! And I don't have a BM anymore......
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #81
tbenn1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

I'd be up for a meet and my mate in his 135
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #82
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have been looking at some lease deals (i dont think i will go for one till i have grown out of modding cars). Anyway with regards to annual mileage limits what is stopping people simply winding back the clock to meet the limits?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #83
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Errm?

It's illegal for one thing.

Why not just steal the car, then it's free!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #84
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

IMO: Having a limit on how many miles you can do is a major down side to leasing a car, im just surprised this is not common practise to overcome probably the only flaw to driving a brand new car for very little money.

P.s you probably wont believe me be but for the record i have never or even know where to start on rolling back the clock but am fully aware it happens & is hard to detect.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #85
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
IMO: Having a limit on how many miles you can do is a major down side to leasing a car, im just surprised this is not common practise to overcome probably the only flaw to driving a brand new car for very little money.

P.s you probably wont believe me be but for the record i have never or even know where to start on rolling back the clock but am fully aware it happens & is hard to detect.
6p a mile penalty.... not really a flaw!?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #86
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

You could always drive in reverse everywhere
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #87
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Dan View Post
You could always drive in reverse everywhere
Haha would have worked a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #88
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
6p a mile penalty.... not really a flaw!?
Thats £600 for another 10k miles. What if 'Leasecar mileage correct Ltd' offered you a mileage 'correction' for £50?

I'm not saying i condone this, im just curious..
Appreciate 0