E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2006 E91 330D CCC Idrive rebooting fault

07-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
John Lindsay
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M-Sport E91

2006 E91 330D CCC Idrive rebooting fault

Evening All,

I found this forum and joined to ask about an issue I’m having with the idrive in my 2006 330D Touring.

I bought the car a couple of days ago. On the test drive the idrive worked as expected. The radio played, the sat nav worked and you could see and navigate all screens without any trouble. The key was in and out of the ignition and engine off and on a few times over the space of an hour when I was with the previous owner.

On the drive home, the Idrive wouldn’t load up at all. The BMW logo came up on the screen, the DVD drive whirred and the screen went black. This continued for probably half an hour on the drive home; then the radio came on, I set the satnav for home and was able to navigate all the menu screens and delete a previously paired Bluetooth device.

Since then, I can’t get it to come on at all. I’ve only really been on short drives but the rebooting just seems to continue all the time.

I have noticed/discovered on one occasion when I switched off the ignition and left the key in the ignition the idrive powered up, but was unresponsive. A battery symbol appeared on the dashboard and there was a warning message on the Idrive screen saying battery charge very low.

I’ve done a bit of searching on the forum and found nothing conclusive, or that matches my exact symptoms. I’ve also asked on a few Facebook groups, however the only response has been that the motherboard must be faulty and that it’s expensive to repair.

I wonder if it’s as simple as needing a new battery, or if there is intact something more sinister going on.

Many Thanks in advance,

John
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52 2007 M-Sport

You can try a hard reset, holding down the dvd eject, cd eject and power button for a few seconds until reboot. Best get a battery charger or new battery too, low voltage causes these cars to go bananas I picked up a cheapo high power 20A charger on eBay for about 20 quid, works great for when I'm working on the car and dont want to rinse the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
John Lindsay
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M-Sport E91

Thanks for your reply, I have tried the hard reset to no avail.

I've had a look and the battery looks to be original, so I'm hoping it's at fault. I'll see if I can pick one up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52 2007 M-Sport

Ah bummer. Oh well worth a try. New batt prob a god idea anyways, just remember to code/register it when you do:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338302

Or a local indy will do it for a few quid.
Appreciate 0