E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Complete car vinyl wrapped, do you have to notify DVLA?

03-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Complete car vinyl wrapped, do you have to notify DVLA?

Hi there guys. Hope your all well
I haven't made a post on here in a while been busy with work and projects so on.

Am thinking of wrapping my car, I just want to know if you have to notify DVLA? As its a temporary colour chance.

I have done my search on it and its mix answers some people say yeah you have to and others say no.

So the guys who have wrapped there car on this site, my question is to you that have you told dvla of the colour change?

I know it's good to tell the insurance company, if you do have an accident and you haven't told them they won't pay out

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think with things like this, its better to be safe than sorry. Ring DVLA and ask them and also speak with your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Check this:

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...on-certificate
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah that's what I will do on Monday, i thought I would ask on the forum as DVLA are closed on the weekend.

I have checked company vehicle which have been wrapped like for example Eddie stobart trucks which are white trucks as new and have been wrapped green and they come up on the mid as white? Same goes for learner cars ect

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

My interpretation would be that even a temporary change would be notifiable particularly if it's to the whole car:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
My interpretation would be that even a temporary change would be notifiable particularly if it's to the whole car:
Yeah I think you have to. But I will contact them on Monday just to get my mind at rest haha

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

Put it like this....

Yor cars nicked off yor drive, you call old bill and report it.

They guys on the ground have your vehicle details which say black as you've not notified the DVLA that you've changed it to white and the message about your colour change has not been passed down.

Evey cops just looking for a white black BMW, then they check the plate only your white ones already been passed a car without ANPR and because it's white no second glance was given.

For the sake of a sheet of paper and a first class stamp or a phone call, whatever, no brainer on informing them
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Just let you guys know I called DVLA Swansea on Monday and my insurance company.

DVLA said the following. You don't need to change any thing on the logbook (V5) because its a vinly and a temporary colour and not a colour change. All you have to do is once you have applied the vinyl to your vehicle. Send them a letter saying that you have applied vinly to your car and what colour it is so they have a note of it on there system. Once you take it off send them other letter say you have took it off with the dates and reg etc.

I told my insurcance company and they don't mind me doing it, all they said is just to let them know once I have done it.

I spoke to my 3M rep as I have a garage and we use 3M parts etc. and they sell car vinyl wrap also. and I will also buy vinyl off them as am going to start vinyl wrapping cars. and he also said you don't have to notify dvla. This was on the weekend

Last edited by Business edition; 03-26-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
cfoster
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Vert

100% what you have said above, none of my customers have ever told the DVLA (neither have I!), only your insurance company would need to know. Its the same kind of rule for the multi coloured vans like Sky vans etc with Bart Simpson and like on them. No one would know what colour they were underneath!

3M a good choice though of vinyl to use, the 1080 series is the easiest to start wrapping cars in.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business edition View Post
I told my insurcance company and they don't mind me doing it, all they said is just to let them know once I have done it.
Did the insurance company give you any indication of a likely increase in premium?
      03-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Did the insurance company give you any indication of a likely increase in premium?
They said I only have to pay a one off payment of £25 which isn't bad at all.

I had golf mk5 gti a few years back now and I did colour change my self and i painted it candy white, use to be black. And I had to pay my insurance company £500

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
100% what you have said above, none of my customers have ever told the DVLA (neither have I!), only your insurance company would need to know. Its the same kind of rule for the multi coloured vans like Sky vans etc with Bart Simpson and like on them. No one would know what colour they were underneath!

3M a good choice though of vinyl to use, the 1080 series is the easiest to start wrapping cars in.

Chris
Aww that's good then, am happy now. I wouldn't be happy if I had to put it as a colour change on the log book because that shows up on the hpi and then people start thinking there is something wrong with the car etc. I see what you mean by the sky vans.

3M stuff is meant to be really good

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Couple of guys have said there've been pull by plod as when they flag the reg number Car comes up as wrong colour just inconvenient no offence committed.
      03-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Couple of guys have said there've been pull by plod as when they flag the reg number Car comes up as wrong colour just inconvenient no offence committed.
That's only if the old bill do a check on the car. If your car has got the right plates and insurance nothing will flag up.

But that's why dvla tell you to notify them by letter so they can update the system and this won't effect the hpi of a colour or the log book.

Can't wait to wrap my car, I have ordered it. the wrap should be here in the week

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business edition View Post
They said I only have to pay a one off payment of £25 which isn't bad at all.

I had golf mk5 gti a few years back now and I did colour change my self and i painted it candy white, use to be black. And I had to pay my insurance company £500
£500! Shocked
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
£500! Shocked
So was I chap. The mistake I made was I didn't check with my insurance company in advance about the price going up.

But when I sold the car I made a 3 grand profit

So it's best to ring your insurance company before doing anything to your vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #17
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
£3000 profit (candy tax) on a golf mk5 GTI because of the candy white! Those were the days when white was uncommon and lucky for the few mk5 owners who had one who where happy to sell and get another in order, as everyone wanted a white one so the days of 'Candy Tax' started to the point you could have a full pro respray and still cover the cost and make a profit with genuine factory ones making upwards of £4.5k with the 'right' options and more for the ED30's but by then it was just main stream and not the initial trend want from the scene.
      03-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

The post you are replying to is 3 years old

Business Edition, is infamous on here, if you want a chuckle, check out his other posts, especially the "blue lights".
Appreciate 0