E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6FL Ipod integration not working right. Ipod seems to "eject" randomly

03-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

6FL Ipod integration not working right. Ipod seems to "eject" randomly

I just picked this car up a couple weeks ago, '08 335xi (with 6fl ipod integration and factory y cable). I have an ipod classic 80gb that I use as my music library. I really prefer to use my ipod for music because i have my itunes library organized pretty well and have 10,000 songs, and organizing the files on a simple USB drive would be ridiculously time consuming. What i have noticed, however, is that my Ipod integration is pretty faulty. Sometimes i will get continuous playback for 30 minutes and then it will "eject" and it just freezes. sometimes it will work for 2 minutes. Every time, if i unplug the dock and plug it back in, everything goes back to normal (and it will eventually eject itself again).

anyone else deal with this? is this a known issue?

(sorry if this was covered, i searched but couldn't find a good answer for this)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep

also, is there a way to "quick browse" through artists? i don't have idrive/nav, and scrolling through hundreds of artists 2 names a time gets pretty tedious and annoying. is there a faster method?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
phxbenk
///M
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I am seeing the exact same thing, I have an iphone 4 connected but same concept, I leave it in the car. It will play without issues for multiple trips, sometimes a few days without issues. Then randomly no longer shows in the external devices menu as connected. I unplug the usb end from the car, plug back in and it works without issue.

For reference mine is a 2011 335i with 6FL and iDrive, though mine is a generic cable bought off Ebay but suggested on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
phxbenk
///M
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

OP, I have done some further reading on this, it seems that whether it is the OEM factory BMW cable or a knockoff they all seem to end up having intermittent connectivity issues, it ends up just being a poorly designed item from BMW that does not have well re-enforced soldier points and thus the strain of being wound up in the center console or moved around for each connection causes strain on these points and they can break or short out.
I am going to take the one I have apart this weekend and see if I can figure out a better way to organize or re-soldier for more reliability.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbenk View Post
OP, I have done some further reading on this, it seems that whether it is the OEM factory BMW cable or a knockoff they all seem to end up having intermittent connectivity issues, it ends up just being a poorly designed item from BMW that does not have well re-enforced soldier points and thus the strain of being wound up in the center console or moved around for each connection causes strain on these points and they can break or short out.
I am going to take the one I have apart this weekend and see if I can figure out a better way to organize or re-soldier for more reliability.
thanks for following up. i have read that as well, but i also read that some people had to go so far as to replacing the actual socket in the center armrest to get it working again. i'm hoping it is just a faulty cable.

i also found that this is a good replacement cable that people have had success with. no point in paying the ridiculous oem cable fee from BMW if its just going to crap out on you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_0
Appreciate 0