E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6-Speed Auto wont move! Sealing sleeve cracked



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
ShakeZoola
New Member
7
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Msport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

6-Speed Auto wont move! Sealing sleeve cracked

You guys think the cracking in this sealing sleeve is enough to cause the transmission to completely not engage drive or reverse??

Basically the car won't move in any gear, occasionally lurches. My plan was to drop and and drain the pan inspect for metal then check the sleeves and replace the solenoids. If the car still didn't move I would replace the entire mechatronic unit or transmission gear box.

I already purchased the solenoids for the mechatronic so I may go ahead and replace them too while I have it off the car but I was thinking this sleeve might be the culprit. Cracked on both sides and inner piece was no longer attached.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
562
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Yes. Sleeve blows, fluid pressure gone, no function.
Problem is, if it was allowed to get too bad, the clutches may be burnt.
__________________
Are you gonna eat that?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
ShakeZoola
New Member
7
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Msport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Yes. Sleeve blows, fluid pressure gone, no function.
Problem is, if it was allowed to get too bad, the clutches may be burnt.
Okay thanks for the input, thats what I was thinking about the sleeve. So I may not change the solenoids then. Probably no way to determine the condition of the clutches without driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1793
Rep
6,866
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeZoola View Post
You guys think the cracking in this sealing sleeve is enough to cause the transmission to completely not engage drive or reverse??

Basically the car won't move in any gear, occasionally lurches. My plan was to drop and and drain the pan inspect for metal then check the sleeves and replace the solenoids. If the car still didn't move I would replace the entire mechatronic unit or transmission gear box.

I already purchased the solenoids for the mechatronic so I may go ahead and replace them too while I have it off the car but I was thinking this sleeve might be the culprit. Cracked on both sides and inner piece was no longer attached.
How old / many miles are on that sleeve? How often. Did you change the trans oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
ShakeZoola
New Member
7
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Msport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
How old / many miles are on that sleeve? How often. Did you change the trans oil?
trans scan said 77k miles I have drained the oil now. But im unsure on the history of the car It was just purchased from auction.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
relative4
Major
United_States
562
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Well definitely reassemble and drive, nothing to lose.
__________________
Are you gonna eat that?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
iqraceworks
Colonel
iqraceworks's Avatar
1051
Rep
2,755
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Well definitely reassemble and drive, nothing to lose.
This. While you have the valve body apart...I would also replace those 4 sleeve seals.

Those transmissions are pretty tough.....if it senses any type of slipping in the clutch packs , they will usually go into a limp mode to keep you from hurting anything.

Put new seals in, a new filter pan, and fill it up with the correct ZF fluid (or Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid) and give it a shot.

Look up the proper refill procedure....the trans has to be at a certain temp when you fill it, you can check the temp with INPA.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST