E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e92 n52 oil leak

08-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
e92ryan
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

e92 n52 oil leak

Hello! I have no idea what part is causing this leak, the rectangular part looks like something is suppose to be there but i have no clue if that is true or not. any help is super appreciated! This is located past the back of the engine. I also can not see any oil leak from the engine bay, this is the only place it is present as it is leaking out of this spot.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
MacGuberman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi E90

Garage List
2011 335 xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ryan View Post
Hello! I have no idea what part is causing this leak, the rectangular part looks like something is suppose to be there but i have no clue if that is true or not. any help is super appreciated! This is located past the back of the engine. I also can not see any oil leak from the engine bay, this is the only place it is present as it is leaking out of this spot.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I can't really tell from the pic where that is, but if it helps, my valve cover leak dripped oil off the right rear of the block and blew back from there…dripped on the downpipe and caused smoking. I could see that from above. My oil pan gasket leak caused oil to get all over the transmission and even farther back. I could only see that from underneath.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54

Quote:

https://imgur.com/a/lB5mv4x

https://imgur.com/a/zokDvYe
Where exactly is the leak coming from? Between the engine and transmission? Or up front in front of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #4
e92ryan
Rep
Drives: BMW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWoodChopper View Post
Where exactly is the leak coming from? Between the engine and transmission? Or up front in front of the engine?
between them yes, though I was able to find someone to put it on a lift. leak ended up being in two places. at the rear main seal and the oil pan. Decided to go to a 10W-30 Synthetic blend oil to help the seal and lessen the amount of leaking. is this something that could actually work out long term or is it more short term and i will have to end up doing the rear main seal?
Also drove it today on the new oil and got no dripping at all
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWoodChopper View Post
between them yes, though I was able to find someone to put it on a lift. leak ended up being in two places. at the rear main seal and the oil pan. Decided to go to a 10W-30 Synthetic blend oil to help the seal and lessen the amount of leaking. is this something that could actually work out long term or is it more short term and i will have to end up doing the rear main seal?
Also drove it today on the new oil and got no dripping at all
It's definitely something you'll have to replace sooner rather than later, I'm actually currently doing my rear main seal as well, it's something you shouldn't wait on too long, before you pull the actual rear main seal out, check to see how far out of the block the old seal is, if it looks like it popped out about half way (proper seal is supposed to be buried in there), that's not good, that means you may have too much pressure building up in the engine which is a result of your PCV system in the valve cover being clogged up, it's a hot mess, that's what happened to mine, so I have to replace the valve cover, but if yours is just worn out and still fully seater you'll be ok just replacing it
Appreciate 0