E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2 questions about lights!

11-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
StoneAngel
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

2 questions about lights!

Hello to every one.
Question 1 .
Currently i have stock Bi-Xenon and i really hate how bad they are at lightning up the road.
SO my question is if there is someone that tryed to replace them with LED D1S bulbs ?

Question 2.
My cars right side TAIL Light is not getting any power i check the cables and seems that they are all OK change the bulb with several once and still no change i check the Fuse box and all of the fuse are fine. The car is recognizing that the bulb is not working so can it be the FMR module or something like that ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

my initial impression is to say NO. i seriously doubt that this LED bulb would be anywhere close to the brightness of a D1S Xenon bulb.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
StoneAngel
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
my initial impression is to say NO. i seriously doubt that this LED bulb would be anywhere close to the brightness of a D1S Xenon bulb.
Just asking if its going to work . I know there is the chance for it to not be bright as the d1s but still my headlights are very weak, even after i polish them now i drive in some parts in my townthat dont have good lightning on high beams. For first iam gonna change the plastic cover and see if there is any difference after that i think going for this LED light all i need info are they gonna work at all .
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

have you aimed your headlights properly?
changed the bulbs? xenon bulbs can go an incredibly long time without burning out, but they loose output over time. If you have orignial bulbs they may only be 50% as bright as they were when new.

I've owned a lot of cars, icluding ones with headlight harnesses and relays running 100W halogens.
The factory xenon setup in these cars is quite good, if it's in proper working order.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
StoneAngel
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
changed the bulbs? xenon bulbs can go an incredibly long time without burning out, but they loose output over time. If you have orignial bulbs they may only be 50% as bright as they were when new.

I've owned a lot of cars, icluding ones with headlight harnesses and relays running 100W halogens.
The factory xenon setup in these cars is quite good, if it's in proper working order.
i changed the driver side with a new one i can see its a little different but still its not good enough
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAngel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post

i changed the driver side with a new one i can see its a little different but still its not good enough
Not all D1S bulbs are created equal. What brand and model did you pick up?

As an example OSRAM Cool Blue has a bluer intensity with longer throw than their stock replacement. Nightbreakers have a different effect as well. Generic brands also have varied lumens and kelvin ratings.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Hello to every one.
Question 1 .
Currently i have stock Bi-Xenon and i really hate how bad they are at lightning up the road.
SO my question is if there is someone that tryed to replace them with LED D1S bulbs ?

Question 2.
My cars right side TAIL Light is not getting any power i check the cables and seems that they are all OK change the bulb with several once and still no change i check the Fuse box and all of the fuse are fine. The car is recognizing that the bulb is not working so can it be the FMR module or something like that ?
Does the manufacturer offer output information and lumens?

We offer LED that are 6000 Lumen, that's nearly 2x brighter then xenon/HID.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #8
StoneAngel
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Not all D1S bulbs are created equal. What brand and model did you pick up?

As an example OSRAM Cool Blue has a bluer intensity with longer throw than their stock replacement. Nightbreakers have a different effect as well. Generic brands also have varied lumens and kelvin ratings.
Osram Original XENARC
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #9
StoneAngel
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Does the manufacturer offer output information and lumens?

We offer LED that are 6000 Lumen, that's nearly 2x brighter then xenon/HID.
The one i show are 4000lm, 6000k color temp
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
The one i show are 4000lm, 6000k color temp
4000 lumen from that bulb is BS... that would be over 37 watts of power( or more likely) and even with a fan that thing would overheat in minutes. 4000 lm is likely a theoretical max that the LED's could handle, not what is actually makes.
Appreciate 0