E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Tightening up the suspension

10-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Tightening up the suspension

I have a 2013 e92 xdrive with 60k, looking to tighten up the car a bit. Thinking of changing the rear subframe bushings and the thrust arm bushings for poly units.

Would this be the best bang for the buck?

Not really looking to spend 1200 on coil overs right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
I have a 2013 e92 xdrive with 60k, looking to tighten up the car a bit. Thinking of changing the rear subframe bushings and the thrust arm bushings for poly units.

It depends on your definition of "tightening up." If you mean, will you feel the road and get more in-cabin vibration, yes it will.

But I don't think you are going to get a noticeable change in the way the suspension responds to the road, be it rebound/oscillation or otherwise.

I understand not wanting to spend a grand for suspension, but IMHO putting those on is more of a secondary step and quite frankly is more about the longevity of the pieces than a significant difference in actual response as compared to just a set of new struts/shocks (which you could still pair with your stock springs at that milage).
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post

It depends on your definition of "tightening up." If you mean, will you feel the road and get more in-cabin vibration, yes it will.

But I don't think you are going to get a noticeable change in the way the suspension responds to the road, be it rebound/oscillation or otherwise.

I understand not wanting to spend a grand for suspension, but IMHO putting those on is more of a secondary step and quite frankly is more about the longevity of the pieces than a significant difference in actual response as compared to just a set of new struts/shocks (which you could still pair with your stock springs at that milage).
Well said, appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm in the same boat, sort of. I just bought a 2007 E93 with 80+K miles and the suspension feels like it needs attention. Shocks/struts certainly make sense and are on my list, but is that all I should do or are there other wear items I should consider replacing while I'm there? I'm not really looking for much if any change from stock; the car has M Sport suspension to begin with, and outright cornering speed is not what I bought it for.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I probably have a similar setup, albeit with a sedan. You could get some Bilstein B4sports to have a similar ride with a quality shock. Those are fairly cheap, but you could always upgrade to a B6/8 as you see fit.

I'm not sure if the M-sport suspension also included solid bushings, but I want to say no. So you could also do control arms depending on how yours are doing. Lots have replaced with M3 control arms which are plug and play. I went for stock OE Lemforders, but it's a personal choice.

If you're up in your suspension, you're in the wheel well. As such you could inspect/check/replace the following. Note that most will throw a code before you have to take a look.

- Xenon/Hallogen bulb replace (if applicable) (requires wheel liner replace)
- Fog light bulb
- Adaptive headlight (if applicable); sensor attached to control arms for ride height.
- ABS sensor to make sure it's clamped together tight (just noting since mine wasn't) but you'll probably take that off anyway to do suspension.
- Brakes to make sure you don't have irregular wear. Mine had a stuck piston at one point.
- Inspect tires for irregular wear
- Control arms: esp Thrust arm bushings (just replace with entire control arms if bad); check especially the fronts to include the tie-rod. Decide if you want to get M3 control arms. Rears are usually fine, but inspect those as well.

Everything else is just in another section, but again, most of those items beside the suspension pieces themselves will throw some sort of code when they are failing.
Appreciate 2
wdb4718.00
      10-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Fantastic thank you! Do you know of any other suspension bits that wear out? I've seen mention of swaybar links.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Definitely true about swaybar links, it wouldn't hurt to check. Not sure how bad they'd be at that milage though, but you will be in a position to look further.

EDIT: Damnit, that's what I hate about this forum. Now I want to go inspect mine....

Last edited by bluewater328; 10-18-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
MyLilTurbo6
Rep
Drives: E90 lci xi

Just sharing,

But a couple folks on BB have advises that swapping to adjustable rear toe arms caused the most improvement on the rear end.