E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach Sportlines VS H&R Sport

11-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Mit123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2011

Eibach Sportlines VS H&R Sport

I have been looking to lower my E90 (3.25i/ M-sport) on some springs.

I have narrowed it down to Eibach Sportlines and H&R Sport.

After looking at the sticky in this section: "E90 Aftermarket Suspension Guide (aftermarket options list)", it looks like in terms of the drop I will get a slightly larger drop with the Eibach Sportlines.

This is however proving to be slightly confusing as when looking at some pictures on the forum it actually appears that H&R is running slightly lower. Ive tried looking at pictures with only 19" alloys (as this is what I am leaning toward)- but for some reason there still seem to be mixed reactions when comparing pictures.

Can anyone clarify if there are other factors to take into account when comparing the drop such as engine size (and hence weight?) Has anyone tried both sets of springs and can explain?

For those of you who have had them I was wondering which you would recommend in terms of comfort and control as well as factors such as build quality and lifetime of the springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Mit123
Private
Rep

Forgive me for replying to my own thread before I've even got a response to my 1st question

But I've now also seen the Vorgtland springs; any comparison base here?

Also; what is the best way to know how far I may be from having to change my shocks? The car is at 56k miles and as far as I know they have never been changed (no receipts from the previous owner, who kept A LOT of receipts); as it probably works out quite similar in price getting a set of coils if my shocks are also going to need replacing soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Hi there, I have an engine of a similar mass, as in 335d rather than a lighter 4 cylinder. I went with Eibach as they lowered my car a little but less than H&R, I have a touring too. I have had them on previous cars and they were always good.
I had H&R's on a previous 535d and it was a bit too low and caused scrapes when parking on my drive! So, you could say I am bias on those experiences.
As for shocks, I did my springs at 100k miles and wish I had done the shocks now as one front shock is now weeping. Not sure what to fit, probably Blisten B4's if I can work out the part numbers for an M Sport car.

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Mit123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooLard View Post
Hi there, I have an engine of a similar mass, as in 335d rather than a lighter 4 cylinder. I went with Eibach as they lowered my car a little but less than H&R, I have a touring too. I have had them on previous cars and they were always good.
I had H&R's on a previous 535d and it was a bit too low and caused scrapes when parking on my drive! So, you could say I am bias on those experiences.
As for shocks, I did my springs at 100k miles and wish I had done the shocks now as one front shock is now weeping. Not sure what to fit, probably Blisten B4's if I can work out the part numbers for an M Sport car.
Thanks for your response MooLard,

Beyond the ride height and resultant scrapping. How would you compare the ride quality of the two (bounciness/ impact when hitting minor imperfections in the road? etc)

I had a set of Eibach sportlines on my very 1st car. But wasn't sure how it would compare on an e90.

Out of interest how many miles did you manage to get on the Eibach's before the shocks started leaking? I'm assuming that there is a reduced chance of me getting to 100k without the need for a shock replacement once I go onto lower springs (obviously ignoring all the other factors involved )
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

I have the H&R sport springs with stock shocks and minor bumps in the road are no problem, but once you go over a pothole or something bigger in the road you will hit the bump stops which makes it rough over the larger bumps or holes and it also makes a frightening noise but you'd get used to it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Mit123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
I have the H&R sport springs with stock shocks and minor bumps in the road are no problem, but once you go over a pothole or something bigger in the road you will hit the bump stops which makes it rough over the larger bumps or holes and it also makes a frightening noise but you'd get used to it
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up going for the Eibach's in the end.

I have found it seems to be a similar situation as what you are describing with the H&R's. They are fine for normal road use; slightly bumpier than normal, but it is to be expected if you want to have a lowered car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

FWIW, I wouldn't get either one. Sportlines are quite low and there is not a lot of information on them and the H&R's were horrendously stiff in my experience.

I went with Tein S tech due to their advertised spring rate and also installed e30 perches in the front to avoid rake. It resulted in the perfect drop for me along with an exceptional ride quality. This was paired with the typical e36/z4 bumpstops. I would definitely do this again.
Appreciate 0