E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Ticking Noise coming from Engine

05-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
chowabunga
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive M Package

Ticking Noise coming from Engine

Hey guys, so I just got this e90 a couple of days ago, has 122k,

its a 2011 335i xdrive, I never heard this ticking noise earlier but I can hear it idling now.

I've done a little bit of searching through the forums, some people are saying this is normal for these Injectors, not sure where to start.

Any experience or help is much appreciated.

(had to load video up to youtube because it wouldn't work on here, sry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2F...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by chowabunga; 05-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: need to change
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

From before you rev the engine things sound normal and then I heard another source of ticking that sounded different from the injectors? everything seems pretty normal to me aside from that
      05-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
chowabunga
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMike61 View Post
From before you rev the engine things sound normal and then I heard another source of ticking that sounded different from the injectors? everything seems pretty normal to me aside from that
I spent another 15 mins trying to re-create that second sound you mentioned in the same conditions, and I could not..

I'm a newb to these engines so yeah now that you mention it the ticking doesn't sound to bad, you cant even really hear it with the hood closed.

I did notice however that it doesn't happen on immediate cold start, it takes a bit of revving the RPM's first in order for it too start ticking at idle RPM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowabunga View Post
I spent another 15 mins trying to re-create that second sound you mentioned in the same conditions, and I could not..

I'm a newb to these engines so yeah now that you mention it the ticking doesn't sound to bad, you cant even really hear it with the hood closed.

I did notice however that it doesn't happen on immediate cold start, it takes a bit of revving the RPM's first in order for it too start ticking at idle RPM.
First thing i would do since you just bought the car is change the oil with BMW 5w-30. At idle and AT operating temp 100 degrees C, you should not really hear any pronounced clicking/ticking with new oil. Dont trust maintenance before you bought it.. you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
chowabunga
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
First thing i would do since you just bought the car is change the oil with BMW 5w-30. At idle and AT operating temp 100 degrees C, you should not really hear any pronounced clicking/ticking with new oil. Dont trust maintenance before you bought it.. you never know.
I noticed that it is definitely due for an oil change,

Was thinking about using some Castrol Techron complete fuel system cleaner concentrate plus, do you think it is better to do it before the oil change, or after?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowabunga View Post
I noticed that it is definitely due for an oil change,

Was thinking about using some Castrol Techron complete fuel system cleaner concentrate plus, do you think it is better to do it before the oil change, or after?
Before would be obv better. But i would not bother with injector cleaners in my personal opinion those dont do much but yeah if you are gonna go ahead with that do it before..
Appreciate 0