E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Last Resort. Help please!

08-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 335i

Car keeps sputtering and dying out

I recently swapped a used engine in as a piston collapsed in my original one. I'm at a standstill with the car. Every accessory from my original engine was swapped onto the used engine, except for the HPFP. The car started fine initially and was let to idle for about an hour, found a few leaks and fixed them. The only iffy leak was the one that came from the bolt that holds the chain on the hot side of the engine right. I loosened the bolt a little bit, put gasket maker, and then re-tightened it and no more oil leaked out from it. I hooked up my MHD and cleared any codes that were there. Tried starting it after and it would start and idle but would sputter after a couple of seconds and die out. Checked for codes with MHD and nothing popped up, so I tried starting it again and the same issue. And again, no codes on MHD. Got a new 3.5 bar TMAP sensor as I've heard that could be the issue and replaced it. Got the car started, tried putting it in reverse after letting it idle for 20 minutes, and it died out almost immediately after. And then the same issue of starting, idling for a second, and then dying. Still no codes being thrown either. I'm not sure what else to do or what to look for at this point. I'm assuming it's a wire or a sensor because everything else that was on the engine and in the bay itself was working fine with the original engine. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. The car also has a single turbo kit installed. Going to change the HPFP when I get a chance to get off work next week, but wasn't sure if that was one of the symptoms of a failing or failed HPFP.

Last edited by Edris335i; 08-30-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
malgyver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Kind of tough to help from afar. Are you getting any new codes?

Did you figure out how you broke a piston? To make sure it won’t happen again?

Any other irregularities in the motor when you took it apart?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgyver View Post
Kind of tough to help from afar. Are you getting any new codes?

Did you figure out how you broke a piston? To make sure it won’t happen again?

Any other irregularities in the motor when you took it apart?
Still getting no codes at all. I was pushing too much boost and blew a piston. I'm going to turn it down once the car gets up and running so that I can not destroy this engine as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Going to see if I can figure out the problem on Wednesday but still clueless as to what the issue is
Appreciate 0