E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any BMW techs around...Need help on Limp Mode Issues.

02-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #89
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealbert View Post

We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you buddy... I feel your pain though.
Thanks, man. I spoke with them again this evening, and they told me that they had to order a new camshaft, which won't be there until Monday, at the earliest. Then, they have to get BMW NA's approval to install it or do anything else. I don't see myself getting my car back until late next week, best case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #90
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335er View Post
Thanks, man. I spoke with them again this evening, and they told me that they had to order a new camshaft, which won't be there until Monday, at the earliest. Then, they have to get BMW NA's approval to install it or do anything else. I don't see myself getting my car back until late next week, best case scenario.
Hello, and welcome to day 21 (20 days this stay, plus 1 for the last fix) of not having my car because of this issue. I've been in touch with BMW NA about the problem, and now they suggest that they might make some sort of payment to me, to compensate for the amount of time that I've been without my car. That would be very welcome indeed. But I'd also like my car back.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #91
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Hello, and welcome to day 21 (20 days this stay, plus 1 for the last fix) of not having my car because of this issue. I've been in touch with BMW NA about the problem, and now they suggest that they might make some sort of payment to me, to compensate for the amount of time that I've been without my car. That would be very welcome indeed. But I'd also like my car back.
Thats the part thats been on backorder and its the same part my friend's been waiting for and is still waiting for. Its good to hear at least BMW NA helping you out though. Look like you guys got nothing really to do but wait. Sorry about that bro! Hope you get your car back soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #92
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thats the part thats been on backorder and its the same part my friend's been waiting for and is still waiting for. Its good to hear at least BMW NA helping you out though. Look like you guys got nothing really to do but wait. Sorry about that bro! Hope you get your car back soon.
Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't hear a peep from my SA yesterday - why do I get the feeling that he only calls me when I call him? Day 22. Good times.

I was afraid that this was the part that's on back order. How long did they tell your friend? A month? J.F.C.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #93
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't hear a peep from my SA yesterday - why do I get the feeling that he only calls me when I call him? Day 22. Good times.

I was afraid that this was the part that's on back order. How long did they tell your friend? A month? J.F.C.
My SA left me a voicemail today (day 23). (Totally unprompted. Whoo hoo!)

They're going to replace the camshaft. It's on backorder from BMW Germany, and there's no telling when they'll get it in.

Anyone have any tips on what to do next (or ask for from BMW NA)?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #94
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Sadly, yes its the part thats on back order. BMW NA told my friend one month but that was over a week ago. So I'm guessing three more weeks?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #95
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My SA left me a voicemail today (day 23). (Totally unprompted. Whoo hoo!)

They're going to replace the camshaft. It's on backorder from BMW Germany, and there's no telling when they'll get it in.

Anyone have any tips on what to do next (or ask for from BMW NA)?
Maybe you could ask your dealer for some compensation since your car's been down for such a long time? Maybe you could call BMW NA. The thing with this problem is, its really BMW's fault so I'm sure they would find a way to compensate you or at least your dealer should put you in a loaner car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #96
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you could ask your dealer for some compensation since your car's been down for such a long time? Maybe you could call BMW NA. The thing with this problem is, its really BMW's fault so I'm sure they would find a way to compensate you or at least your dealer should put you in a loaner car.
Well, the dealer has had me in a loaner car the whole time. (And it's been a 328xi, rather than the usual Enterprise rental car.) So, that's been a plus. BMW NA hinted around about making a compensatory payment to me recently; we'll see if they follow through.

I will be very unhappy if I have to wait another three weeks for this part.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #97
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, the dealer has had me in a loaner car the whole time. (And it's been a 328xi, rather than the usual Enterprise rental car.) So, that's been a plus. BMW NA hinted around about making a compensatory payment to me recently; we'll see if they follow through.

I will be very unhappy if I have to wait another three weeks for this part.
The service manager from my dealership called me today. He said that he hopes that the part will arrive in a week (that would be great) and said that they will cut me a check for the amount of my monthly payment. Finally, some good news.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #98
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The service manager from my dealership called me today. He said that he hopes that the part will arrive in a week (that would be great) and said that they will cut me a check for the amount of my monthly payment. Finally, some good news.
Hello, and welcome to day 26 of my car being in the shop. BMW NA called today to let me know that they had put someone else onto the case, but then had nothing to add. He also mentioned that they couldn't give me any compensation until the car's stay in the shop has been completed. He also said that he couldn't tell me how long it would be until the camshaft to come in from Germany. Overall, the update was no update.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #99
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

335er. Looks like everyone who's suffering from the same problem is on the same boat as you. No word and still waiting for parts. And looks like problem is starting to get more and more common. Now I'm getting worried for my car! Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 04:20 AM   #100
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Don't worry, the new superseded fuel pumps are out already and the new ones won't beak down on you anymore. You'll be fine now and you don't have to worry about your fuel pump going bad again.
Incorrect, as of last week they are still using remanufactured pumps. At least thats what my paperwork says.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #101
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
335er. Looks like everyone who's suffering from the same problem is on the same boat as you. No word and still waiting for parts. And looks like problem is starting to get more and more common. Now I'm getting worried for my car! Yikes!
Ugh, thanks for the update. If you had a later build, maybe you'll have the good fortune of having a good camshaft.

Last night, I was watching some car show where they modify smaller cars (Focus, Mini, and an Evo). The had pulled the Focus' engine out and tore most of it down. Then they pulled out the camshaft. I turned to my wife and said, "That's what they're replacing in my car." Her eyes bugged out, and she blurted, "That?!?"
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #102
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, thanks for the update. If you had a later build, maybe you'll have the good fortune of having a good camshaft.

Last night, I was watching some car show where they modify smaller cars (Focus, Mini, and an Evo). The had pulled the Focus' engine out and tore most of it down. Then they pulled out the camshaft. I turned to my wife and said, "That's what they're replacing in my car." Her eyes bugged out, and she blurted, "That?!?"
Finally, on day 27, some good news! I just called my SA (first time he's picked up when I've called...), and he said that the camshaft had arrived. They're going to start installing it this afternoon, and it will be a two day job to put it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #103
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finally, on day 27, some good news! I just called my SA (first time he's picked up when I've called...), and he said that the camshaft had arrived. They're going to start installing it this afternoon, and it will be a two day job to put it in.
Here's your day 28 update. I spoke with the SA this evening, and he said that the camshaft was installed, and mentioned that he saw his tech tightening down some bolts that would be some of the last steps in the procedure (can't remember which ones he mentioned, but I remember that at the time, it sounded like bolts that would secure the engine cover). He said that they're going to run some tests tomorrow, and maybe I'd get the car back on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #104
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's your day 28 update. I spoke with the SA this evening, and he said that the camshaft was installed, and mentioned that he saw his tech tightening down some bolts that would be some of the last steps in the procedure (can't remember which ones he mentioned, but I remember that at the time, it sounded like bolts that would secure the engine cover). He said that they're going to run some tests tomorrow, and maybe I'd get the car back on Friday.
From the sublime to the ridiculous - on day 29, the SA called (I actually set a different ringtone on my cell phone, it's been such a long process), and told me that they're going to replace the entire engine! The entire engine! My car, of course, will be out of service for a lot longer. I figure another month - it will be a couple of weeks to get the engine, and a bare minimum of a week to install it, much less get it fully tested.

What would you do in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #105
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

then entire engine?!?!?!? what????? whoa! thats crazy!!! what happened after they installed the cam shaft??

I honestly really wouldn't know what to do if i was in your position but pray..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #106
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
then entire engine?!?!?!? what????? whoa! thats crazy!!! what happened after they installed the cam shaft??

I honestly really wouldn't know what to do if i was in your position but pray..
Yeah, the whole thing. They said that they put it back together, and still heard a noise that was not normal. Then he mentioned something about the third and fourth cylinder - I don't remember, because I just was amazed that they couldn't fix it, that I'd need a new engine, and that the car will be out of service for weeks to come. I've really had it at this point (day 33).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #107
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the whole thing. They said that they put it back together, and still heard a noise that was not normal. Then he mentioned something about the third and fourth cylinder - I don't remember, because I just was amazed that they couldn't fix it, that I'd need a new engine, and that the car will be out of service for weeks to come. I've really had it at this point (day 33).
What kind of a noise was it? how did it sound like?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #108
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What kind of a noise was it? how did it sound like?
Not a clue - just said that it was abnormal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #109
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not a clue - just said that it was abnormal.
but the noise was there even before they changed the camshaft right? so maybe the noise wasn't a result of the camshaft? Or perhaps there was already damage done to the camshaft housing? If I'm not mistaken, the housing for the camshaft needs to be replaced as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #110
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
but the noise was there even before they changed the camshaft right? so maybe the noise wasn't a result of the camshaft? Or perhaps there was already damage done to the camshaft housing? If I'm not mistaken, the housing for the camshaft needs to be replaced as well.
Not a clue. I remember them saying that there was a noise before they replaced the cam, when they had replaced the VANOS valve and camshaft ledgers, but that was it. So maybe it was something else, seeing that the camshaft didn't fix it either.
Appreciate 0