E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > From E90 320D SE to E92 335D SE

01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #111
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
That's what I'm talking about Mo, looks bloody good!! Good start mate and Re trim in due course will definitely be a good move ! I'm dead keen on installing the m3 wheel since the leather is so soft and grippy !

Enjoying the paddles shifters ?
Thanks

Yeah i think i will certainly go for the retrimming. Mr Singh retrimmed his and it felt so much better!

Paddles are amazing but to be honest i haven't used them too much due to the weather. It does look like it might clear up in a few days so will be on manual and DS mode!!! Haven't even used DS mode much, even normal D mode is fast, even when using less than half the pedal Can't wait until dry season!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #112
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
That pipe is fine I would not worry about it, sent you a PM :-)
When I took my pipe off it was covered in oil as seen below, if it was looking like that then I would have it seen to
Its like surgeon taking out the heart....
      01-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #113
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

Paddles are amazing but to be honest i haven't used them too much due to the weather. It does look like it might clear up in a few days so will be on manual and DS mode!!! Haven't even used DS mode much, even normal D mode is fast, even when using less than half the pedal Can't wait until dry season!
I liked this addition to your signature
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE

And good to see that you are enjoying new beast.

Any update on audio stuff yet?
      01-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #114
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I liked this addition to your signature
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE

And good to see that you are enjoying new beast.

Any update on audio stuff yet?
Thanks mate I can't wait until i put the audio stuff in now, i've had enough of the stock system!

It's been really snowy recently so i haven't even made a start on anything yet. But i think i might make a start during this next week. I should be able to put the harness, underseats, amp and dsp in. Then after that i'll have to figure out how to put the morels in (i think you have to top mount them) and then finally the sub! I have split folding rear seats (but no ski hole!?) and i have still kept the baffle, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard for me!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #115
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

If you do sell the baffle drop me a pm (hint hint )
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #116
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you do sell the baffle drop me a pm (hint hint )
Sure will do. I'm going to try and make a start on the audio tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #117
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
and then finally the sub! I have split folding rear seats (but no ski hole!?) and i have still kept the baffle, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard for me!

Ahhh, so are you going to put the sub in a box and fold the seats to get the bass in?

Or do you have other plans?
      01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #118
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh, so are you going to put the sub in a box and fold the seats to get the bass in?

Or do you have other plans?
I'm going to reuse everything i have (hopefully), so my plan was to use kaigoss' DIY and cut a ski hole. Then mount the baffles and sub. Then what i'm going to do is use your DIY to deaden the parcel shelf and maybe the rear seat if i can. Then seal as much of the rear seat as i can. Not sure how it will sound with folding seats though. Hopefully it won't be much different to non-folding ones

But the sub is probably the last thing i'd do. I want to make a start tomorrow on fitting the morels in. I have a bit of an idea reading a few threads and i still have my normal adaptors. I think i need to modify the adaptor to make a stepped one to push the morel towards the grill, just like here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405224

Doesn't look easy though!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #119
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Had my first dry run today in the car. Tried it in DS mode and used the m3 paddles. Bloody fast the car just glues to the road, until i hit a bump on a bend lol. REALLY need those conti 5p's on
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #120
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Just remember Kaigoss thread his backing on the seat was plastic, when I cut mine it was metal. Most likely yours will be metal

Hitting a slight bump, nvermind a pothole in the RF tyres is scary so I kinow how yu feel the first time you hit a pot hole. I remember the frist time the back end twitched so bad the TC kicked in
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #121
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to reuse everything i have (hopefully), so my plan was to use kaigoss' DIY and cut a ski hole. Then mount the baffles and sub. Then what i'm going to do is use your DIY to deaden the parcel shelf and maybe the rear seat if i can. Then seal as much of the rear seat as i can. Not sure how it will sound with folding seats though. Hopefully it won't be much different to non-folding ones

But the sub is probably the last thing i'd do. I want to make a start tomorrow on fitting the morels in. I have a bit of an idea reading a few threads and i still have my normal adaptors. I think i need to modify the adaptor to make a stepped one to push the morel towards the grill, just like here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405224

Doesn't look easy though!
You could apply the sound deadening on the lower surface of parcel shelf (from the boot) as that would work out as easy job.

looking forward to see your installation. Some people say that sounds systems work out better in coupes than Saloon / estates due to less cabin space....lets check it
      01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #122
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just remember Kaigoss thread his backing on the seat was plastic, when I cut mine it was metal. Most likely yours will be metal

Hitting a slight bump, nvermind a pothole in the RF tyres is scary so I kinow how yu feel the first time you hit a pot hole. I remember the frist time the back end twitched so bad the TC kicked in
Think you're right mine will probably be metal! I need to read your thread again lol.

Yeah it is quite twitchy, but on a smooth road its so glued down. But 2 days ago i was doing 20mph ish in a rough straight road, put my foot down, it dropped a gear and the back went right then left lol, it was a bit wet though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #123
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You could apply the sound deadening on the lower surface of parcel shelf (from the boot) as that would work out as easy job.
Embarrassing to admit this but i havent actually looked up underneath the parcel shelf yet. Is it the same metal floor as you get in the saloon? Wouldn't the shelf be above this?
Quote:
looking forward to see your installation. Some people say that sounds systems work out better in coupes than Saloon / estates due to less cabin space....lets check it
Thanks. It will probably take me a while to do all of this and hopefully if it sounds as good as in the saloon i'll be happy I hope thats right about the coupes!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #124
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Embarrassing to admit this but i havent actually looked up underneath the parcel shelf yet. Is it the same metal floor as you get in the saloon? Wouldn't the shelf be above this?
That is correct. Since your sub will be below that shelf, so you will benefit more from apply the bottom surface of that parcel shelf.
      01-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #125
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is correct. Since your sub will be below that shelf, so you will benefit more from apply the bottom surface of that parcel shelf.
I thought that metal underneath was solid and that the shelf above that needed deadening. Oh well i'll try and do as much as i can
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #126
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

I've had all of the underside of the rear parcel shelf sound deadened dude, worth the extra hassle I'd say
      01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #127
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've had all of the underside of the rear parcel shelf sound deadened dude, worth the extra hassle I'd say
Yeah this is something which i didn't do and it would have definitely been worth it.

My point was about where to deaden. That metal shelf/roof (looking up from inside the boot) or the wooden parcel shelf thats removeable. Or both?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #128
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

new car sounds great. Re MPG changing the stat is not expensive so worth doing as a precaution. Also bear in mind that you get a fairly big drop off in MPG in colder weather as the car takes a lot longer to get to operating temperature. However it looks like my 330i petrol is giving better MPG. I get arounnd 28mpg although in this cold weather it's dropped to 24-25mpg.

On a cautionary note look after your turbo's. If you have been driving rapidly or on the motorway ensure that you let the car iddle for a minuite before turning the car off. The Turbo's could be going at 30,000rpm plus and require the engine running to get an oil supply. They have to have time to slow down. This is probable the single biggest cause of turbo failure in standard cars.

RE chipping. The car will be rabidly fast, but the gearbox can't really handle the LBS/ft so make sure you get a experienced place to do the work. Someone like DMS who can offer a warranty. Come re sale personally i would not touch a chipped car with a barge poll. You make however get better MPG on normal driving, but agressive driving will see a decline.

Hope this helps
      01-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #129
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is not you but coming from your installer.

If I ask you the reason for it, would you be able to explain
      01-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #130
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My point was about where to deaden. That metal shelf/roof (looking up from inside the boot) or the wooden parcel shelf thats removeable. Or both?

Mob, you do not deaden the parcel shelf itself. You deaden the metal shelf.
Whether you do it from the top (after removing the parcel shelf) or you do it from the bottom (looking up from inside the boot) depends on your installation of sub and how much vibration you get in that region.
      01-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #131
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
new car sounds great. Re MPG changing the stat is not expensive so worth doing as a precaution. Also bear in mind that you get a fairly big drop off in MPG in colder weather as the car takes a lot longer to get to operating temperature. However it looks like my 330i petrol is giving better MPG. I get arounnd 28mpg although in this cold weather it's dropped to 24-25mpg.
Thanks bud. The MPG is great when i'm doing a constant 70mph (47-49mpg!) so i have put the low mileage down to the cold weather and nature of driving I am planning to do an oil change soon and will probably replace the egr stat just in case.

Quote:
On a cautionary note look after your turbo's. If you have been driving rapidly or on the motorway ensure that you let the car iddle for a minuite before turning the car off. The Turbo's could be going at 30,000rpm plus and require the engine running to get an oil supply. They have to have time to slow down. This is probable the single biggest cause of turbo failure in standard cars.
Yes this is something which concerned me before i bought the car. When driving it hard (only had the chance yesterday and today, so much fun!) i give it a minute on idle.

One thing i'm still unsure of is monitoring the oil temp. Is this needed? All i can monitor via the hidden menu is the coolant temp

Quote:
RE chipping. The car will be rabidly fast, but the gearbox can't really handle the LBS/ft so make sure you get a experienced place to do the work. Someone like DMS who can offer a warranty. Come re sale personally i would not touch a chipped car with a barge poll. You make however get better MPG on normal driving, but agressive driving will see a decline.

Hope this helps
I thought the auto gearboxes would be fine with 700nm? If i do remap it certainly will be with a decent outfit. To be honest the mpg isn't a concern anymore (too much fun driving in the dry), and if i remap it will most certainly decrease as you say
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #132
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
That is not you but coming from your installer.

If I ask you the reason for it, would you be able to explain
Well I instructed the installer to do so not only there but also on door cards, so I'm pretty sure of the reason