E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Wall Street Journal: You Can't Take Car Envy to the Bank (Camry instead of BMW)

04-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
I'll be at your funeral with your money, I'll make it rain on you.

That's illegal!
My wife takes all my money now and she will when I'm dead. You don't want to get in her way when she smells cash.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

this article is retarded.

im gonna go out and rent me a toilet, and eat some ramen noodles so that i MAY save up the opportunity costs...
      04-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

what about intrinsic value
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

the old bimmers would last like 300k miles not sure about the new ones...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
L8Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

One variable (and its a big one) that is not mentioned in the article is the fun and enjoyment factor you get driving a performance car. (at least for those who enjoy driving) I would fall into a deep state of depression driving a s&%$ box like a Camry every day. Life is to short to compromise daily enjoyment.

What they fail to mention in the article is that $100000 will only be worth $55000 in todays dollars in 20 years. Not as impressive especially when you consider it only works out to be an additional $12 (approx) a day to drive a "envy" car.
      04-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Good lord, this guy probably buys his clothes at Goodwill too... (Think of how much money you could save). Think of how much money you could save if you lived on the street too, and ate at McDonalds every day. What a anti-car freak...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #29
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I'll assume this guy makes like minimum wage and has never been in an expensive car
I always got this kind of attitude in college cuz I was 17 and drove a Mini Cooper & at 19 got my mom's 530 whilst everyone drove a 500$ honda civic
and I always had the latest expensive phones...

and guess who gave me this attitude.. POOR PEOPLE
this is why I hate the poor...
they always try to bash those who have....
poor = lazy and jealous
      04-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #30
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I'll assume this guy makes like minimum wage and has never been in an expensive car
I always got this kind of attitude in college cuz I was 17 and drove a Mini Cooper & at 19 got my mom's 530 whilst everyone drove a 500$ honda civic

poor = lazy and jealous
a little too extreme there
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #31
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:

poor = lazy and jealous
hmmmm, perhaps people just are irked by kids posing while driving mommy's car?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #32
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
If his parents are able to provide for him then that's his good fortune.
      04-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

I think I rather drive my expensive bmw than a toyota - even with the money savings difference, it wont be much as things just keep getting more expensive every day. You only live once and I'm not gonna spend my life driving a shitbox.

Plus I didn't buy my car to show off that I have money, I bought it for the sole reason of Driving Enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #34
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Or you can walk and invest more money.

German cars are for people with REAL money.

10K isn't really that much if you think about it.

If money is a problem, don't get a BMW.

Oh Damn I needed that... Obviously You'd need to define "REAL". I suppose that because $50k for a car doesn't seem like any big deal that I have "REAL" money?

No, real money doesn't buy a 3 series. They might buy their Spawn a 3 series, but yeah...

Though I agree $10k really isn't much and the author of the article is obviously some wealth adverse Liberal douche who is certain that there is nothing to be gained from driving a well made car. Then again most of the "owners" here aren't in an E90/2/3 for the drive anyway, NO they are here because they believe that someone will give a shit about them driving a German car.... Cause obviously that means they have "REAL" money. Sort of lending validity to the Author's first paragraph.

I see that majority of BMWs, Mercedes, etc being driven by toolsheds believing that their "Status Symbol" really does mean that they are somehow better, wealthier, etc. than someone driving a Camry. They aren't there for the performance, the luxury, or the handling. NO, they are there cause their tiny little pinhead brains tell em' that this will make them cool... This is especially true in certain segments and with certain cultures. Where the "CAR" is thought to actually represent social standing and culture, pathetic.

Rampant, self involved arrogance.... The true indicator of a German car owner living beyond his/her means.

Otherwise the author of the article has simply never driven a BMW or just isn't into driving at all. Despite all the hype, poseur douche-baggery, and small penis compensating BMW just happens to make a car that is remarkably engaging, rewarding, and fun to drive. They can make you feel better after a rough day, help you relax, simply by heading down the road and hitting the twisties. Something a Camry, Accord, or similar middle America Shit box just cannot do.

Some folks just simply aren't into cars/driving at all, for them anything more than basic transportation is just a display of avarice. Which coincidently IS a trait of so many 3 series owners...
      04-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #35
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
And yet how many people on this board bitch about the price of premium over regular gas ($3/tank!!), or are too broke for a simple mod, or spend well over 50% of their income on a BMW while living in a residence which they neither own or even pay rent (aka mom and dad pay)??? I'd hardly say that the majority of the people active on this board have real money.

I agree. But in response to the author of the article, how many people will invest the difference? Most people buy their cars on loan or lease, so they'd be sending maybe $300/mo to the investment over 36 mos. Still substantial, but it takes discipline.

I bought a 2000TL brand new when I graduated from college. Interest rates were about 6% at that point. I bought it, not leased it, so the payments were brutal. I wish I would have gone with something much cheaper at that point. Sure, it was nice to drive, but 8 years later...meh, who gives a shit?? I'd much rather have the money, and have driven a Maxima or something similar (Maxima was the other car I considered at the time).

So I agree, you never know when you'll die, but owning a particular brand of car is just submitting to marketing hype. So many more things I could have done. Now I build my budget with house and car coming in LAST! I budget for everything else, then with what's left over, I determine how much house I want / need and what kind of money I'm willing to sacrifice for cars. At 32, I'm finding when I look at it that way, for the car that I'm contemplating buying right now the Toyota (Sequoia) is much more appealing than the BMW (X5 4.8).

However, when you get to be 65, wouldn't you like to have some kind of lifestyle other than homeless???? You can't count on Social Security, and it doesn't pay enough to live on anyway, esp if you're accustomed to driving a BMW! I see far too many people that would love to retire at 65, but will likely work until they die becuase they spent it all when they cashed the paycheck. I agree you need to live today, but it's a good idea to plan for tomorrow as well.

I'd say your reasoning is also a little on the shallow side. Please correct me here if I'm wrong, but your statement implies that you believe people think you're better off because you drive a BMW?

I agree that buying a house is also not a wise financial move. Most people don't understand that, and they buy as much as they can afford. Then they are house-poor, and miss out on other investments. The historical returns on your house, after inflation, interest, taxes, maintenance and repairs, BTW, is usually negative.

I'm getting ready to buy a new house, and the same scenario is holding true as when I bought my current house - the bank is willing to lend me a whole lot more money than I want to shoulder. I'm not willing to commit that much of my budget to housing, and miss other opportunities.

Steak instead of noodles, or food in general, is not a like for like comparison. you can change your food budget at a moments notice if you need to cut back on spending, or if you are having a party and want to make a nice dinner. Your house and car are a little less liquid, and it's much more difficult to reduce your spend on these.
Well said...
      04-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #36
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Sure it is. But if he's an ass about it and lords it over other people, who are providing for themselves rather than suckling from the parental teat, its pretty poor form.

And based on his post, I'm reasonably certain we know how he's been acting.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #37
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:

poor = lazy and jealous
Your post tells folks more about you than I think you realize and you should be aware that it's entirely likely that the "poor" you describe aren't bashing you because you think you have money or privilege. It's more likely that they are bashing you for other reasons, made crystal clear via your post.
      04-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #38
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Or....take that 10K, invest it in a company that people think is going places (*cough ERON), lose it all, and still be stuck driving a Camary and just as poor
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #39
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Quote:
Absolutely true iatacs, but based on comet's own post the import he placed on a cell phones newness indicates a common and tragic lack of development, education, and character typical of the upper middle class American household. Over indulgent parents compensating for an early divorce or their own humble upbringing and boom... Turd wrapped in gold plated tinfoil.

No culture other than a TV and fast food.

OR

Just some insensitive and shortsighted stuff said by an otherwise well mannered and cultured individual... Yeah...
      04-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #40
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

sometimes i face my speakers out the window and all the wine bottles i ever drank are on a shelf above my bed.