E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Will NOT START? cranking but not starting? 2007 335i coupe-e92

01-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
davidb95
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Question Will NOT START? cranking but not starting? 2007 335i coupe-e92

hi guys,
my car us a 2007 335i coupe.
1.the car doesn't start at all. if i press the start button it just makes one click noise and nothing. all of the lights works tho.
2. i tried jump starting with a truck to the front engine terminals, and with a jump box connected to the battery, and it finally started cranking, but never started. it will crank for 30sec and not start.
3. I'm out of options, HELP me. i don't want to take it to the dealership yet.

is my battery dead? bad spark plugs? is it a starter? a fuse? oh and i can hear the fuel pump turn on and make noises so i assume it still works.

and what is this on dash when trying to start: red car that says service on top
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Most probably, the battery is completely dead, or disconnected, or you have the battery cable recall issue.

Do you have a ccid code ? There is a vid on youtube that shows how to get the ccid from an in-dash error. That would certainly weed out options.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
davidb95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Most probably, the battery is completely dead, or disconnected, or you have the battery cable recall issue.

Do you have a ccid code ? There is a vid on youtube that shows how to get the ccid from an in-dash error. That would certainly weed out options.
no i don't have a ccid code, i don't even know what that is. but just a few days ago when i opened the doors the lights would turn on in the car, but now even the lights won't turn on, until i jump start. i will try to get a friend that works at a shop test it with the obd test tomorrow and post any codes that come up. the red box on the battery wiggles a bit? is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

As said above, the red lift in-dash error you see has an associated ccid, follow the video procedure to obtain it. From it, the computer will tell you what is wrong exactly.

Your symptoms point to a completely dead battery. Same symptoms would appear from a wiggly battery connection that prevents starts and charging, so yes, it is a problem that the red box moves around.

Check that ccid code. Secure all connectors to be reasonably sure it is well connected. Then if it still doesn't work, get the battery to autozone or whatever chain of your liking to have it tested. If it doesn't test right, have a new battery installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
davidb95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is a problem.

Your symptoms point to a completely dead battery. Same symptoms would appear from a wiggly battery connection that prevents starts and charging.

Secure all connectors to be reasonably sure it is well connected. Then if it still doesn't work, get the battery to autozone or whatever chain of your liking to have it tested. If it doesn't test right, have a new battery installed.
if i disconnect the battery wouldn't it reset all my presets and settings? or should i place the front terminals on trickle charge and then disconnect?
and wouldn't i have to go get it registered at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

It will not reset everything, but some (clock, stored phone numbers if you have BT phone), seat presets and a couple of other things are actually stored in the key.

You need to register a battery only when putting in a new one (even of the same type). Disconnecting and reconnecting the same battery doesn't require anything on your part, and is only a minor annoyance in terms of what gets reset.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
davidb95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It will not reset everything, but some (clock, stored phone numbers if you have BT phone), seat presets and a couple of other things are actually stored in the key.

You need to register a battery only when putting in a new one (even of the same type). Disconnecting and reconnecting the same battery doesn't require anything on your part, and is only a minor annoyance in terms of what gets reset.
okay ill take the battery off and get it checked tomorrow.
i got the ccid numbers let me know which one it can be?
41- service due
149- tyre pressure monitoring fault
354- start assist inactive
309- fuel pump malfunction- says i can still drive moderately.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Your battery is dead and all this codes are the ECU running crazy while being under-volted.
Appreciate 0