E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Dinan Shift Kit (SSK) for 335is

12-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

DIY: Dinan Shift Kit (SSK) for 335is

I FINALLY got around to installing the Dinan short shifter. I wanted shorter throws and more precise shifting.

This is the model I got for my 335is but it works for alot of other applications
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dinan-pa...RoCqEAQAvD_BwE

Dinan Short Shifter includes:
-Shift lever
-Black rubber gasket
-2 washers

Tools Needed:
-Car Jack and Jack Stands or Ramps
-8mm socket
-2 Flathead screwdrivers or pliers
-grease (i used lithium)

Optional:
-extra c-clip
-shifter ball bushing (highly recommended)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...xoCyNkQAvD_BwE

1. Before you begin, I highly recommend you buy a new shifter ball bushing (instead of taking out your old one and transferring it) because snapping it onto the Dinan shifter is by far the hardest part of the installation. If you can't get this done then the rest is useless. I greased up the insides and while holding the shifter and ball bushing as steady as possible, slowly push the bushing down on one side and use a flathead screwdriver to push the other tabs one by one and it will eventually snap into place. This took me a good 30 mins although you might have better luck! Next, slide the provided black gasket ring and secure it as pictured.

2. Put your shifter into 4th and squeeze the sides of the shift boot and pull up. Remember that for the M-Sport knob, it is attached to the boot.

3. Pull up straight on the knob and it should pop out.

4. Remove the foam insert

5. Remove the rubber boot. I used a flathead screwdriver because its pretty snug but be careful not to rip it. The best way is to pull it out from either side as those parts aren't as deeply secured.

5. This is with everything removed. Now jack up the car and get underneath.

6. Use your 8mm socket to remove this plastic cover. Some of mine were secured with philip screws.

7. Bend the heatshield back and use a flathead screwdriver or your hands to push off the c-clip. I'm skinny so I was able to grab the lever with one hand and remove it with the other.

8. Push the lever out from the hole and now the shifter is ready to pull up from inside the car.

9. Back in the car, take a pair of pliers and latch onto the white ball bushing and turn clockwise about 1/4 turn. Then pull straight up and the lever should come out.

10. Put the Dinan shifter into the hole. Notice that there are two tabs on the white ball bushing that flare out a little but. These get secured into the metal grooves in the slot. So place the ball bushing into the hole and align the flared part with the groove and push down firmly. It should snap into place. You will know its secure when you can't pull out the shifter. Make sure the shifter bend is facing towards the rear left of the car.

11. This is how it looks securely in place. Get back under the car.

12. Put one of the supplied washers onto the new lever and insert into the hole. I tried putting the other washer as seen in the pic below but the c-clip wouldn't secure onto it. I believe the washer is an extra.

13. Push the c-clip onto the lever to secure it. It was a perfect fit with no give.

14. You are all done! Push the heat shield back in, put back the plastic cover, and re-insert the rubber boot (use grease on the lever to make this easier), the foam, and the knob.

Impressions: The shifting is much shorter Love the notchyness and the gears sort of click into place. It does take more effort though to put into gear and its a bit louder, but overall money well spent. Happy shifting!

Last edited by JunkyardDogg; 01-07-2020 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
b92539.50
BSM n54iS2684.50
      12-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Great write up! How much would you recommend this product? I've been on the fence for a while since I have no complaints about the stock throws, but it's less than $200 and seems like it could be a good upgrade.

Also, did this kit change the positioning of the shifter at all? Higher/lower, etc.
      12-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
apexxx6789
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Great DIY post. Does anyone know if this will work on a 335XI?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Great write up! How much would you recommend this product? I've been on the fence for a while since I have no complaints about the stock throws, but it's less than $200 and seems like it could be a good upgrade.

Also, did this kit change the positioning of the shifter at all? Higher/lower, etc.
I think it's definitely a worthy upgrade since it's pretty cheap and install is easy. The height is the same as stock, although one thing I noticed is that the knob is slightly turned. I'll try and take a pic.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexxx6789 View Post
I don't think this model will fit. Try searching for a different part.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
I think it's definitely a worthy upgrade since it's pretty cheap and install is easy. The height is the same as stock, although one thing I noticed is that the knob is slightly turned. I'll try and take a pic.
Is that possibly from install error?
      12-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Quote:
Is that possibly from install error?
No it's just the way it sits. I think there's another thread that mentioned the same thing. The Dinan instructions also state to insert the lever with the bend pointed towards the rear left. So slightly angled to the left.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Very subtle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Great write up, I've had the Dinan shifter for a couple years and it's one of my favorite mods, it should have been my first mod 10 years ago. It does position the shifter a little further back (towards you) just a bit, nothing bad though. Paired with my short aluminum bmw shift knob, you can feel more vibrations and it might transfer sounds and heat a bit more than the stock slush handle, it's well worth the upgrade.
      01-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Great write up, I've had the Dinan shifter for a couple years and it's one of my favorite mods, it should have been my first mod 10 years ago. It does position the shifter a little further back (towards you) just a bit, nothing bad though. Paired with my short aluminum bmw shift knob, you can feel more vibrations and it might transfer sounds and heat a bit more than the stock slush handle, it's well worth the upgrade.
Yup, i'm wondering if a little dynamat in the shift boot area and on the lever itself would dampen things down.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Yup, i'm wondering if a little dynamat in the shift boot area and on the lever itself would dampen things down.
I kinda like the rawness of it, reminds me a bit of my old supercharged 99 mustang w/ a steeda short throw
      01-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
apexxx6789
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexxx6789 View Post
Installed in 2008 335XI through center console.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...8#post25671548
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
ph335
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 6MT

Hey man, saw your install diy on the dinan ssk.

I purchased and installed mine before you posted your diy.

When doing it I think installed in the wrong position because now 2nd gear position is now where neutral should be. 1st gear looks like its in third. and then every gear like that is shifted to the right one.

Do I have to get back underneath to fix this or can I rotate the shifter from the top?

I was hoping you could advise me what to do and possibly send a picture so I can adjust it to the right positon.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph335 View Post
Hey man, saw your install diy on the dinan ssk.

I purchased and installed mine before you posted your diy.

When doing it I think installed in the wrong position because now 2nd gear position is now where neutral should be. 1st gear looks like its in third. and then every gear like that is shifted to the right one.

Do I have to get back underneath to fix this or can I rotate the shifter from the top?

I was hoping you could advise me what to do and possibly send a picture so I can adjust it to the right positon.

Thank you in advance
You have to place the shifter into the slot with the top of the shifter pointing towards the rear.
Appreciate 0