E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Cooler

04-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
anthonycusano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Oil Cooler

I'm possibly in the market for an oil cooler due to the fact I drive my 335i pretty hard on a regular basis (currently have OEM oil cooler). I hardly go to the track (maybe once or twice a year), but I seem to be reaching oil temps of 250 pretty fast. Is it worth it to invest in an oil cooler although I'm not at the track frequently? If so which oil cooler would you recommend for a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #2
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Get that oil temp down!! I strongly recommend it. As for brands, I would also like to know who keeps the oil temps lower. The cooler , the better. I believe the oil temp should never go passed 235, especially if you are not tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan335i7 View Post
Get that oil temp down!! I strongly recommend it. As for brands, I would also like to know who keeps the oil temps lower. The cooler , the better. I believe the oil temp should never go passed 235, especially if you are not tracking the car.
You are so wrong my friend..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonycusano
I'm possibly in the market for an oil cooler due to the fact I drive my 335i pretty hard on a regular basis (currently have OEM oil cooler). I hardly go to the track (maybe once or twice a year), but I seem to be reaching oil temps of 250 pretty fast. Is it worth it to invest in an oil cooler although I'm not at the track frequently? If so which oil cooler would you recommend for a reasonable price?
If your oil temperature never exceeds 250 degrees F. I'd hold pat. I was seeing oil temperatures of 300 degrees F. during the latter stages of a track session so I had the ER sport oil cooler installed; but prior to, I did not have an oil cooler.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
wshgrntd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Row-AN-10...pWePJN&vxp=mtr

Has anyone used this one before?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
Hacksaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshgrntd View Post
While I am sure that "could" work, would you really want to use it?

The rule of thumb I give is consider the amount you are paying. If it's a quality kit, it will be pricey. If it's not... you have to ask yourself why not.

Usually it boils down to inferior materials, and in this case there is a plastic fan shroud involved, and given the heat the oil cooler would see, I can tell you there will be issues with the fan and shroud alone.

As for the other materials used in the kit, I cannot say.. never saw this brand before. But.. china.

You get what you pay for.. there is no free lunch, yada yada... I recommend not taking the cheap way out. On the surface it looks great but you will end up spending more in the long run as you search for another replacement.

I am more curious about something like this and would like to see feedback.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/CSF-E9X-3...il-Cooler.html

Pricey and not convinced this would really do as they say.

Other solutions exist that require a rework of the mounting area and do not fit like this one looks to fit, in the factory location.

But I do know others have made more track worthy coolers work that increase the cooling a lot better.. just at the cost of no longer really looking like it the car was built that way.

'02 BMW ///M3Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6M|TFS CSL TUNE - MSS54HP|CSL Rep Airbox|Euro Headers|StopTech ST-40 BBKs|Kirk 4pt Bar|CF CSL Trunk|GC Race F/R Sways|

Last edited by Hacksaw; 07-04-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0