E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Electronic oil gauge which mark is full?

03-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

Electronic oil gauge which mark is full?

Just had an oil change on my 2007 328i and The Gauge reads only to the third hash mark. Shouldn’t it be reading to the fourth?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Usually when you read the gauge, there is oil running through the engine. So you shouldn't see it full to the max if I am correct. It'll tell you to add a quart when necessary
      03-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Usually when you read the gauge, there is oil running through the engine. So you shouldn't see it full to the max if I am correct. It'll tell you to add a quart when necessary

My gauge shows full marks. Unless older cars didn't show full marks

And yes it will tell you when to add some.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Just had an oil change on my 2007 328i and The Gauge reads only to the third hash mark. Shouldn’t it be reading to the fourth?
Thanks.
Who did the oil change? Do they know what they are doing? The N52 just needs to be drained, change the filter, and pour back in 7 quarts of new oil. If the person doesn't know what they are doing, and doesn't understand how the e-dipstick works, they can either under-fill or overfill the engine.

If the oil change is done quickly with the engine hot, the oil level when checked right after the oil change can show the "old" reading. So if someone changes the oil, and uses a refill procedure that is normally used for a mechanical dipstick equipped engine, which is adding in 1 quart less than full, then running the engine, then checking the mechanical dipstick to "top off" the level, they can mis-fill the engine. On the N52, if the oil level read between the Max and Min marks before the oil change, and the new oil was added at 6 quarts instead of 7, the "new" reading can show the same oil level as before the oil change if the engine is still hot. So if the technician adds 6 quarts and then immediately checks the oil level, he will get a false reading and short the engine of oil. Once the engine reestablishes the new oil level it will show the oil level as not full.

Or....

The N52 oil quantity spec is 6.9 quarts or 6.5 liters. I've found that adding exactly 6.5 liters will show up as a 3/4 full (i.e. 1/4 quart/liter low). If 6.7 L of oil is added, the e-dipstick will register as full.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-30-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Who did the oil change? Do they know what they are doing? The N52 just needs to be drained, change the filter, and pour back in 7 quarts of new oil. If the person doesn't know what they are doing, and doesn't understand how the e-dipstick works, they can either under-fill or overfill the engine.

If the oil change is done quickly with the engine hot, the oil level when checked right after the oil change can show the "old" reading. So if someone changes the oil, and uses a refill procedure that is normally used for a mechanical dipstick equipped engine, which is adding in 1 quart less than full, then running the engine, then checking the mechanical dipstick to "top off" the level, they can mis-fill the engine. On the N52, if the oil level read between the Max and Min marks before the oil change, and the new oil was added at 6 quarts instead of 7, the "new" reading can show the same oil level as before the oil change if the engine is still hot. So if the technician adds 6 quarts and then immediately checks the oil level, he will get a false reading and short the engine of oil. Once the engine reestablishes the new oil level it will show the oil level as not full.
Thanks.

It was done at a dealership.
For what that’s worth.

The readings have been taken since the oil change with plenty of opportunity for the system to recalibrate.

My question is simply what is a “full” reading?
Three quarters or four. Neither indicates a need for more oil, but the shop claims that going over the three quarter indication risks “over filling”.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Thanks.

For what that’s worth.

The readings have been taken since the oil change with plenty of opportunity for the system to recalibrate.

Three quarters or four. Neither indicates a need for more oil, but the shop claims that going over the three quarter indication risks “over filling”.
In my case I have a 335is for oil capacity is 6.5 liters/6.86 quarts and I always dump total of 7 quarts and always go on the 4th bar. It's only about 200ML more.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
In my case I have a 335is for oil capacity is 6.5 liters/6.86 quarts and I always dump total of 7 quarts and always go on the 4th bar. It's only about 200ML more.
Thanks

My concern isn’t really about getting that last bit of oil, but rather if I can rely on the dealer’s explanations.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Thanks.

For what that’s worth.

Procedure is to never top-off before the car says +1qt. Doing guess work does indeed risk over-filling. Any reading between full and +1qt is a good reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Procedure is to never top-off before the car says +1qt. Doing guess work does indeed risk over-filling. Any reading between full and +1qt is a good reading.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0