E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D Water Temp all over the place, NOT Stats!

03-01-2019, 04:56 AM   #67
salimshk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Low temperature like that can be the oil cooler thermostat. Problem is it is part of the oil cooler.

It is down near the bottom of the radiator, passenger side. Never had to do this myself, as my issues were minor, solved with EGR thermostat and completely sorted (~90C) with the main thermostat. A bit of hose clamping may be needed to temporarily stop the flow back to the bottom of the radiator. I'd start with the Tee'd off hose that drops down and onto the oil cooler.

Same issue as an EGR thermostat failure, coolant by-passes (short circuits) the main coolant circuit. There is enough flow to prevent the ECT climbing in typical load conditions.

Okay so my stat was changed under warranty but I still have the issue so I'm going to attack this. The oil cooler on realoem is attached to the oil filter housing and doesn't seem like there is any coolant going to it. That is also what I was advised by the Manager at BMW. However, there is a similar looking unit in the same position you describe, attached to the radiator I remmeber removing it previously when I was doing another job. I'm guessing that is the one you are talking about. What's it called, I can't seem to get a part number for it. 'Oil cooler' just brings up the other part that is not attached to any coolant lines
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimshk View Post
Okay so my stat was changed under warranty but I still have the issue so I'm going to attack this. The oil cooler on realoem is attached to the oil filter housing and doesn't seem like there is any coolant going to it. That is also what I was advised by the Manager at BMW. However, there is a similar looking unit in the same position you describe, attached to the radiator I remmeber removing it previously when I was doing another job. I'm guessing that is the one you are talking about. What's it called, I can't seem to get a part number for it. 'Oil cooler' just brings up the other part that is not attached to any coolant lines
Yes, with AT you have the "gearbox oil cooler" down at the bottom of the radiator. Two connections for the gearbox oil pipes and the two for coolant. You need to clamp a coolant pipe to test if the thermostat is faulty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #69
salimshk
Private
Rep

Forget the test, I'm just gonna change it, what else could it possibly be anyway? I picked up a replacement from ECP on the weekend but they only supply it made by Frigair. Never heard of this brand. Found a few online under different brand names, never heard of any of them tbh apart from Vemo which sounds familiar. Anyone know which brand the OEM one is
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #70
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Any news on your car Salim?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:31 AM   #71
salimshk
Private
Rep

Yes, fitted a new gearbox oil cooler over the weekend. Finally, got around to monitoring the temperature on the way to working this morning but its still extremely slow, it hadn't got to 88c in my 7 mile/20 minute journey to work. Then again, I might not have bled the system properly, its been chucking it with hail, snow rain you name it since I finished this job so haven't had a chance/ I thought I'd post on the forum once it was bled and all checked properly.

I can confirm though that Highland Pete is correct in that there was definitely a thermostat in the cooler when I took the old one apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #72
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

Did you get it sorted Salim?
Mine is still playing up, doing my head in now..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #73
salimshk
Private
Rep

I lost interest after that tbh with you. I stopped monitoring the temp after that, I'm sick and tired of this car now. If you manage to sort yours please do let us know though
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #74
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

No still playing up , feeling the same about mine now.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #75
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
No still playing up , feeling the same about mine now.
Man what a long thread! I just read through it all and wanted to clarify. Did you say your N47's don't have an EGR stat? What I find strange is, we usually get two temperatures depending on which stat is faulty, that is it either sticks around 70's or hovers low 80's and the heat will struggle to keep to temperature as stat doesn't close. 70's would be EGR and 80's would be main (could be other way around) but you seem to have the same symptoms as everyone else but you say theres no EGR stat? I have 330D M57 btw
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #76
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Man what a long thread! I just read through it all and wanted to clarify. Did you say your N47's don't have an EGR stat? What I find strange is, we usually get two temperatures depending on which stat is faulty, that is it either sticks around 70's or hovers low 80's and the heat will struggle to keep to temperature as stat doesn't close. 70's would be EGR and 80's would be main (could be other way around) but you seem to have the same symptoms as everyone else but you say theres no EGR stat? I have 330D M57 btw
Yeah it seems to be dragging on a bit.
Mine is the later E90 N47 lci engine and it does not have egr thermostat on the cooler.
I have replaced the egr valve with a spare one but still the same. So maybe it is egr main cooler that needs replacing. I have had no error codes come up for the egr. Maybe there is someway I can monitor the egr temps?
Below is a photo i took (not sure what it is i was pointing at in the photo!)

The 2 top electrical connectors are - on the left the egr electrical connector and on the right some sort of change over valve with a red vacuum pipe coming out of it.

Last edited by Nel2014; 04-07-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #77
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

i moniter my egt temps at the minute as ive got a suspect egt sensor..i use foxwell nt510 but loads of scanners can do it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #78
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel2014 View Post
Yeah it seems to be dragging on a bit.
Mine is the later E90 N47 lci engine and it does not have egr thermostat on the cooler.
I have replaced the egr valve with a spare one but still the same. So maybe it is egr main cooler that needs replacing. I have had no error codes come up for the egr. Maybe there is someway I can monitor the egr temps?
Below is a photo i took (not sure what it is i was pointing at in the photo!)

The 2 top electrical connectors are - on the left the egr electrical connector and on the right some sort of change over valve with a red vacuum pipe coming out of it.
Hmm very strange mate, it's nice to see the thermostat removed on the n47 as both stats (main and EGR) are prone to failing.. but of course, it hasn't helped so much in this situation as it has the same symptoms of a failed EGR stat but of course it doesn't even have one.

I'm going to research in my spare time to see if I can come up with anything. Do you have diagnostic software to hand (Carly, INPA, ISTA)?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #79
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
i moniter my egt temps at the minute as ive got a suspect egt sensor..i use foxwell nt510 but loads of scanners can do it
Hi Rasa, typo or do you mean Exhaust Gas Temperatures? And if so how does this relate to the issue? Your foxwell looks pretty good as well, nice and easy to whip out instead of a laptop Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #80
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

I have Carly and inpa. Im am trying to get ista working on my laptop then will try that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #81
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi Rasa, typo or do you mean Exhaust Gas Temperatures? And if so how does this relate to the issue? Your foxwell looks pretty good as well, nice and easy to whip out instead of a laptop Haha.
ive been monitering the temps as i have a suspect egt sensor ie exhaust gas temperature sensor,,,,i have 3 codes ie 4175/480A/4185...2 are for egt sensor before dpf and one is for dpf but the sensor would have that code pop up if not doing its job,,ive had a dvice from professional and i need a new egt sensor,,picking it up from bmw tomorrow and getting the indy i use to fit it while im getting all four shocks replaced.my temps have been pretty stable around 260 driving normal to 450 c when giving it a bit.. so the sensor is maybe failing. as when codes are cleared they will reappear..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #82
Nel2014
Banned
Rep

Managed to get Ista D setup on my laptop today. I think i managed to get the Dpf details up. From what I can see in photo below is that is was 55km since last regen. Can anyone else with Ista knowledge confirm this is correct.

The reason for looking at this was that I was concerned about the Dpf not regenerating.
Maybe at least that is good news!
Im going to look at the egr temps next,
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #83
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

fitted new sensor and all is good,,no faults now,,mine shows ..lets say 9876m since last regen,,using a foxwell nt510,,thats metres not miles,,i assume mine wouldnt show this if it was not doing regens
Appreciate 0