E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Joined the BMW Performance Intake & Exhaust club!

02-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
Joined the BMW Performance Intake & Exhaust club!

First Impressions

When I first sat inside, I thought... EH!? Can't really hear much.. Its only when you stand outside you and give it some gas!!
It has a nice rumble at idle and progressively turns into a mechanical rasp as the revs rise. I honestly thought it was going to be a very conservative upgrade, like your standard accessories range exhaust. Wonderful!

The intake isn't exactly in CSL territory but it does give the engine a sound more akin to BMW's of old. More pronounced inside the cabin and out.

On The Road

Inside the cabin, you can only hear a slight rumble from the back and under acceleration the engine is certainly more aural thanks to the intake. When you inch the window down a notch the sound is fantastic! The higher the revs rise, you can always hear the exhaust no matter how fast you are going. Its by no means Fast and Furious loud, it sounds more like a extension of the engine now rather than just an exit for gaseous waste!
The engine feels more responsive than before, notably the revs tend to rise much quicker. Not sure how many horses the products have added, but it is definitely more urgent.

Although I haven't heard it drive past while standing on the street, the dealer was adamant it is more akin to a 335i sound

The quality of the intake and exhaust is as good as you'd expect from BMW, not to mention they look ace! The exhaust tips are surprisingly larger than I expected to be honest, so may to be to everyones taste. All in all I wouldn't change anything, a perfect combination.

Here's some pics....

Now the question that begs to be asked.. What next?

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

that's one sexy intake right there, very clean engine bay too! Thanks for sharing your review with us.
      02-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I went with the exhaust only. It sounds fantastic! Just wait until you put a couple more miles on. I thought at first it only sounded best in the first 4k revs. Now it sounds MUCH better at higher revs. We have also had better weather in the past few days, so I have driven with the windows down.

Im still not 100% sold on the intake. That seems kinda expensive for some sound (but some will say so is the exhaust). Have you noticed any difference performance wise?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I was also expecting a little more conservative exhaust note. It is rather sports oriented.

I was trying to fly it under the radar with the fiance. She has not noticed the grumble yet.

The exhaust does have a crackling sound when engaged in a gear at higher revs, but letting off the gas. While some might say it is a sportier sound, that is my only complaint with it. I think it is an otherwise PERFECT exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
that's one sexy intake right there, very clean engine bay too! Thanks for sharing your review with us.
Thanks canucklion, no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I went with the exhaust only. It sounds fantastic! Just wait until you put a couple more miles on. I thought at first it only sounded best in the first 4k revs. Now it sounds MUCH better at higher revs. We have also had better weather in the past few days, so I have driven with the windows down.

Im still not 100% sold on the intake. That seems kinda expensive for some sound (but some will say so is the exhaust). Have you noticed any difference performance wise?
Yes, I have heard about the sound improving with mileage. Trying to drive it as much as possible!
In response to your query with the intake, I actually have no idea how the car would sound with a Performance exhaust alone. Whether the intake affects the exhaust note is beyond me as I've yet to listen to a car with just the exhaust fitted.
But I see your point, you are paying quite a lot for something that virtually doesn't improve the cars performance like other mods do. But I have experienced more sound from the engine bay, and what seems after recently driving a loan 325i, a much 'happier' motor! Seems to rev much easier!

I to, do love the exhaust!

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Congrats TSL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I was trying to fly it under the radar with the fiance. She has not noticed the grumble yet.
My wife is not bothered by the louder sound either. From the inside it's not that much louder but definitely sounds great when you step on the pedal.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
nevets1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Jet Blac

Awesome ain't it

'06 330i/6mt/JB-Terra/Navi/ZSP/Full M-Tech/CFspitters/CF spoiler/RogueSSK/Performance Shift Knob-Boot/19"MorrVS8's/Goodyear F1 Asym. 245-275/KoniFSD-Eibach Pro/Blacklines/BMW Perf. Intake/BMW Perf. Exhaust/Matte Black Shadowlines/Perf. St. Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
wig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328I

TSL,

Did BMW or a performance shop install your Exhaust and what did they
charge? I'm considering replacing my Ikon with the BMW performance
exhaust. I'm located in the New Market area.

Thanks,
Wig
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig View Post
TSL,

Thanks,
Wig

I could give you some insight to this as well since I got my exhaust installed last week. BMW wanted 4.5 labor hours or $532. A local performance shop wanted 2.5 hrs or 250. There was a muffler shop I took my car to and they took 15 minutes and charged by $60
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

if they have flanges and bolt up which i assume they would its as easy as lifting the car up unbolting the old one and throwing the new one on.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
if they have flanges and bolt up which i assume they would its as easy as lifting the car up unbolting the old one and throwing the new one on.
This exaust utilizes no flanges. It requires cutting of the twin piping leaving the secondary cats.
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l l a n View Post
Congrats TSL!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets1 View Post
Awesome ain't it
Its fantastically awesome!!!!

Quote:
Hey wig, well it seems I'm not actually from your side of the pond.. I live in the UK so with all the differences in exchange rates and what not, I can assume the prices for the products and labour etc.. will be different.
But, yes, I ordered and got the parts installed by an authorised BMW dealer. Luckily as a goodwill gesture BMW didn't charge for labour/fitting (thanks to an on going issue I have with BMW, that has yet to be rectified )

We do get conned when it comes to fitting, esp from the dealership! Something ridiculous like £150 per hour (or around $220 per hour, thanks to the crappy exchange rate!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
I think it is a pretty straightforward job, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokimster View Post
I could give you some insight to this as well since I got my exhaust installed last week. BMW wanted 4.5 labor hours or $532. A local performance shop wanted 2.5 hrs or 250. There was a muffler shop I took my car to and they took 15 minutes and charged by $60
In that case, I definitely wouldn't mind getting it installed at any muffler shop! As long as it doesn't affect the warranty

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
nevets1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Jet Blac

TSL-
Great to see your post. The engine is definitely flowing better, as evidenced by how much faster/more responsive revs are. Here's another thing I've found, it takes a few drives for your ECU to learn the new parts. The exhaust will also change it's note a little as it "burns in". I really wish one of us could get this set-up on the dyno...I would love to see the numbers. Enjoy

'06 330i/6mt/JB-Terra/Navi/ZSP/Full M-Tech/CFspitters/CF spoiler/RogueSSK/Performance Shift Knob-Boot/19"MorrVS8's/Goodyear F1 Asym. 245-275/KoniFSD-Eibach Pro/Blacklines/BMW Perf. Intake/BMW Perf. Exhaust/Matte Black Shadowlines/Perf. St. Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
nice...

well whats next... haha headers?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets1 View Post
TSL-
Great to see your post. The engine is definitely flowing better, as evidenced by how much faster/more responsive revs are. Here's another thing I've found, it takes a few drives for your ECU to learn the new parts. The exhaust will also change it's note a little as it "burns in". I really wish one of us could get this set-up on the dyno...I would love to see the numbers. Enjoy
Oh right! I didn't know the ECU would actually adapt to the new parts on the car... so would it actually improve performance a little more after a while?
I wonder how much gains we would see on a dyno... would definitely be interesting to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterzM View Post
After reading all the rave reviews I took the plunge and got the intake. Can't wait to get it next week!
Hey there, you will NOT be disappointed! However, do not expect massive gains from the intake alone.. I can only recognise the performance increase with the intake AND exhaust system. But I reckon you will feel an immediate difference once its on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
nice...

well whats next... haha headers?
Thanks mate. Honestly, I have no idea! I was going to order the BMW brake kit along with the exhaust and intake, but its just too much money to be spending all at once!
Would definitely benefit from it seeing as I plan to visit the Nurburgring race track in Germany once again soon! With my current brakes, they got cooked way to quickly for my liking!
What benefits come from installing headers? Just sound?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
wig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328I

TSL,

I'm in the UK as Well, My Ikon exhaust was fitted by CA automotive and it
was about 300 Sterling Pounds!

Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TSL=- View Post
Thanks mate!

Its fantastically awesome!!!!

Hey wig, well it seems I'm not actually from your side of the pond.. I live in the UK so with all the differences in exchange rates and what not, I can assume the prices for the products and labour etc.. will be different.
But, yes, I ordered and got the parts installed by an authorised BMW dealer. Luckily as a goodwill gesture BMW didn't charge for labour/fitting (thanks to an on going issue I have with BMW, that has yet to be rectified )

We do get conned when it comes to fitting, esp from the dealership! Something ridiculous like £150 per hour (or around $220 per hour, thanks to the crappy exchange rate!!! )

I think it is a pretty straightforward job, as you say.

In that case, I definitely wouldn't mind getting it installed at any muffler shop! As long as it doesn't affect the warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
TSL,

I'm in the UK as Well, My Ikon exhaust was fitted by CA automotive and it
was about 300 Sterling Pounds!

Wig

Ooops sorry mate! I must've misread your location thingy...
In total I paid £1000 for both exhaust and intake (excluding labour and fitting of course)

In that respect I reckon the BMW exhaust is quite a bit more than the Ikon! Around £600-650 if I remember correctly... but hey, thats BMW for you

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #18
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

wow..nice looking parts man..and for not too much money too..£1k for both exhaust and intake is quite a good deal i think.. put the car on a dyno already man!!
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

That's a nice looking intake! Why doesn't BMW make one for the 335? Congrats on your setup looks real nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drZ View Post
wow..nice looking parts man..and for not too much money too..£1k for both exhaust and intake is quite a good deal i think.. put the car on a dyno already man!!
Thanks mate! I want to put my car on a dyno, just need to find a time and place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
That's a nice looking intake! Why doesn't BMW make one for the 335? Congrats on your setup looks real nice!
Thanks, I feel the exhaust and intake work really well together!
Maybe the current intake on the 335 is already at its optimum efficiency. i.e. BMW feels an aftermarket intake will yield no improvement. Just guessing, of course

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
kadolege
Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2005 325i  [0.00]
Nice.... I can see you have a 325i. Is it a 3.0 engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Nice choices man, I'm sure it sounds amazing! I need to jump on this exhaust...