E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anybody have the iphone mounted on the dash?

11-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #23
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy View Post
iBeech.... I want to install my 3gs on the centre console and LOVE Pro Clip... did you happen to take pics on how to run the wires through the trim? (Not just the finished product but a mini DIY write up).

Did you just hardwire it for power or back to the arm rest and integrate the 6FL?

Can we plug and extension like this http://cablejive.com/dock-extender-cable

Into the BMW YCable and get full 6FL functionality?
I have a CableJive extender cable and it works great - full functionality. I don't use my iPhone for a nav though since I have a factory nav. I just like to use the cable as it makes it much easier to handle my phone when it's plugged in. I use the cable with my Bose iPod doc at home as well so I can have my iPhone in my hand while making music selections. They're not cheap, but they do offer a great convenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #24
MunnyGuy
Bimmer Fan
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I have a CableJive extender cable and it works great - full functionality. I don't use my iPhone for a nav though since I have a factory nav. I just like to use the cable as it makes it much easier to handle my phone when it's plugged in. I use the cable with my Bose iPod doc at home as well so I can have my iPhone in my hand while making music selections. They're not cheap, but they do offer a great convenience.
Thanks I335 appreciate the comment. I notice that iBeech and Enforcerman have both mounted their iPhones in the lower position near the shifter as opposed to over the Centre vents. It looks much cleaner... but how is usability? Does the position affect GPS on the iPhone? I like the clean look. Did you guys elect for the 6' or 2' cable?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I got a 4' cable. It's actually a bit longer than I needed, but it allows me to pass my iPhone around in the car to any passenger with it plugged in. Same for when it's hooked up to my Bose doc on the kitchen table - anyone can grab the phone and change the music...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
.. but how is usability? Does the position affect GPS on the iPhone? ...
Yes, it does big time! An iPhone really needs to be on the dashboard for its GPS receiver to work reliably. Besides, if it is mounted low, there is a usability problem as you have to take your eyes off the road for longer intervals with no help of peripheral vision.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
iBeech.... I want to install my 3gs on the centre console and LOVE Pro Clip... did you happen to take pics on how to run the wires through the trim? (Not just the finished product but a mini DIY write up).

Did you just hardwire it for power or back to the arm rest and integrate the 6FL?

Can we plug and extension like this http://cablejive.com/dock-extender-cable

Into the BMW YCable and get full 6FL functionality?
I've now posted my DIY on this subject

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324019

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Yes, it does big time! An iPhone really needs to be on the dashboard for its GPS receiver to work reliably. Besides, if it is mounted low, there is a usability problem as you have to take your eyes off the road for longer intervals with no help of peripheral vision.
I do find that when the GPS first trys to locate, it takes a while. But once its locked you in, its fine. Plus with the audio, i dont need to look at it very often. I'd like to get a dash mount- but there are no good ones The TomTom is overpriced, and will see you having two nice cables hanging out the side- which is no good

Think i'll go into Apple and check the mount out, see if its any good
Appreciate 0