E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Professional radio/Hi Fi loudspeaker system

02-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
cfalzon
Private First Class
Malta
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M sport package

BMW Professional radio/Hi Fi loudspeaker system

Hi frinds, I have ordered the bmw prof. radio with Hi Fi loaudspeaker system. What make is the radio? Do you think I will be getting a good sound out of this system? I do not like loud music am more for clear crisp sound. Your views will be much appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Greg
Sparkling Gray Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I (E92)

HiFi

You are going to totally love the hifi system, It is called the bmw professional series radio, the maker of the radio system is "Carver" that name is well known everywhere, I have that system just got it on my 08 328I It literally sounds as good as my 750I Logic7 system, there is virtually no difference in sound I am so happy with my Carver its sick, I have the AUX jack in the armrest compartment I just tried my Iphone pluged into the AUX system, the ipod in my Iphone sounds awesome, you will get a cable to interface an ipod, then you can work the Ipod or Iphone from the steering wheel controls. Go for it I have had the BMW business radio in my 06 E46 325ci the radio even with Siruis sucked that is why I sold the car it had 11,000 miles on it. When I drive I need a huge radio and the HIFI is perfect, I have not 1 complaint about it, coming from a mucicians point of view I like to hear the different instruments in perfect sound and this radio gets it on. What ever you do get this radio if you can, the only better is the pro logic7 and Alpine makes that, they are both great... Good luck let me know what you do, and get Sirius Radio as well you will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
You are going to totally love the hifi system, It is called the bmw professional series radio, the maker of the radio system is "Carver" that name is well known everywhere, I have that system just got it on my 08 328I It literally sounds as good as my 750I Logic7 system, there is virtually no difference in sound I am so happy with my Carver its sick, I have the AUX jack in the armrest compartment I just tried my Iphone pluged into the AUX system, the ipod in my Iphone sounds awesome, you will get a cable to interface an ipod, then you can work the Ipod or Iphone from the steering wheel controls. Go for it I have had the BMW business radio in my 06 E46 325ci the radio even with Siruis sucked that is why I sold the car it had 11,000 miles on it. When I drive I need a huge radio and the HIFI is perfect, I have not 1 complaint about it, coming from a mucicians point of view I like to hear the different instruments in perfect sound and this radio gets it on. What ever you do get this radio if you can, the only better is the pro logic7 and Alpine makes that, they are both great... Good luck let me know what you do, and get Sirius Radio as well you will not regret it.
There are many who would disagree with the above. All I can say is that I have the Logic 7 and it is just so-so. The Hifi uses a much smaller amp and inferior speakers to the Logic 7 and you will find many posts here of people asking about upgrading the amp and speakers in order to get better sound. Most people are disappointed with the Hifi system.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Count me in the "extremely disappointed" group. Still looking at my options with respect to upgrading, but something will have to be done. There is nothing "hi-fi" about the BMW Professional audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The main problem with the audio quality of the HiFi system is at the OEM amp, not in the OEM Professional HU/iDrive.

Once the OEM amp is replaced with a higher quality, higher power aftermarket amp even the OEM speakers will sound much better than before.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Technic, I thought, from all the threads here, that replacing the OEM amp without doing a speaker upgrade would be a problem. That the speakers wouldn't be able to handle the power from any decent aftermarket amp ... am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Technic, I thought, from all the threads here, that replacing the OEM amp without doing a speaker upgrade would be a problem. That the speakers wouldn't be able to handle the power from any decent aftermarket amp ... am I missing something?
The only two problems that I can see could be using an aftermarket amplifier not 2 ohms stable and/or too powerful for the OEM speakers, especially the OEM underseat woofers, and driven hard.

As long as the amp is 2 ohms stable and it is not run like you have 10 subwoofers connected to it, you can replace the OEM amp with -for example- a JL Audio G6600 (75W RMS x 6) and run all 10 OEM speakers with it without any issues and still have a much better sound than before, specially if you use the built in crossovers to tune your system to your liking.

The issue, as in any sound system, is to know how loud you can push your system before it craps out. So this is not recommended for anybody that really like their sound system very loud, but only for those that just want a better sounding system for the least amout of cost and effort.

Of course, replacing all the OEM speakers -especially the underseat OEM woofers, again- will give you better sound but for the money the OEM amp replacement is where the biggest improvement is, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

That helps a lot ... between you and VP, there's so much great knowledge here. I am probably going to approach this in stages and it's nice to know I can start simple (like with just the amp). And that's it for me hijacking this thread ...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
you can replace the OEM amp with -for example- a JL Audio G6600 (75W RMS x 6) and run all 10 OEM speakers with it without any issues and still have a much better sound than before, specially if you use the built in crossovers to tune your system to your liking.
I want one. When am I going to learn to stop reading your posts and save myself some money.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i'm about to do the same
i bought an amp that puts out 50x4 for the front and rear speakers into 2ohms
and up to 240w for the subs (after i replace them) i will start by running the 2 subs in parallel to get them up to 4ohms so they will get 25w RMS each, which i think is a good starting point
i also replaced the door tweeters, that made a huge impact
i always said the OEM tweeters are crap
next up is i bought a set of logic 7 speakers
i will replace the ones in the doors only
so they can handle a little more power
will keep the rears as is
i like working in stages
makes you enjoy each stage
and only spend the money on the things that need to be changed
Appreciate 0