E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Different Micro-fibers for Different Purposes

09-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Different Micro-fibers for Different Purposes

Hey guys,

I'm trying to nail down what type of micro-fibers i need for different things such as :

Cleaning Windows

Wiping down seats ( I have leatherette i think )

wipe downs with spray quick wax

removing wax

Any help would be great , Thanks!
      09-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Detailed image has everything you need, and several started kits. Basic run down is:
-Waffle weaves for drying
-Green towels for dirty work, windows, wiping interior surfaces, etc
-Blue fine towels for painted surfaces(removing wax, polish, wiping spray wax, etc)
-Blue super fine towels, detailed images are lined with black, so you can tell them apart. These are essentially the same purpose as the blue above, for paint, but are much finer for removing polishes and such, for the least amount of scratching.
Those are your basic towels in the colors at detailed image, they have several starter kits so pick what you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

+1 for detailedimage

They just had a microfiber sales which I'm sure hundreds to thousands of people stocked up on.

tedderbear is absolutely right, though I use different methods.

Waffleweave towel for drying is hands down amazing. And the one detailedimage sells is HUGE. It's about the size of 3 1/2 regular microfiber towels. You just need one (but keep it clean!).

I have a couple small mf towels I use for glass and one I keep in my car for general wipe down.

For mostly everything else I have a stockpile of generic all-purpose mf towels to do what needs to be done (quick detailing, polish, wax, etc.)

Another one I invested in is the reTHICKulous towel from detailed image. It's a thick plush towel that I use for final wipe downs once the wax has been removed.

detailedimage also has a nice microfiber care guide, but I don't really put mine in ziploc bags, just stored neatly. Also recommend getting the mf wash, it works wonders on use mf towels.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Like everyone else has said you need WW for drying, All purpose for wax/sealant removal and glass and plush ones for QD final wipe.

Search the internet there are many places to get quality MF towels and prices are all over the board. Your choice. I personally like the DI WW towels over others and I source the rest online based on price and quality. Pass on the Costco ones for anything other than wheels and dirty stuff no paint seen them mar.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

What's wrong with the Costco microfiber cloths? I'm not arguing they're good or bad, but I have a pack of them and while they're not super plush they seem fine.

Maybe I've never owned really high quality ones?

Is it okay clean microfibers in the washer/dryer?

Last edited by Dukat; 09-28-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
What's wrong with the Costco microfiber cloths? I'm not arguing they're good or bad, but I have a back and while they're not super plush they seem fine.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
What's wrong with the Costco microfiber cloths? I'm not arguing they're good or bad, but I have a back and while they're not super plush they seem fine.

The biggest issue with "lower quality" isn't that they're dangerous for your finish off the bat, but rather they deteriorate quickly. SOME lower quality towels do have the ability to scratch your finish even when brand new. You might hear of the "cd test" for microfiber towels. Rub a microfiber towel on a blank CD: if it can scratch the plastic coating on it, it can potentially scratch your paint. Of course factors like clear-coat hardness do come into play, but many newer BMW's seem to be on the softer side of OEM clear-coat hardness IME.
Another issue with bulk towels you find locally is in how they're handled and displayed. Microfiber is naturally grabby, so if the towel is set on the floor, dropped, or in a dusty environment, it can be contaminated before you've even brought it home. Online merchants like board sponsors DetailedImage, DetailersDomain, and DetailAddict are going to sell higher end towels that local places don't stock, and better control how the towels are handled (many come in sealed bags).

Washing and drying using machines is usually preferred. Wash using the hottest water you can on a long cycle (many car care products don't easily dissolve in water, or they won't last on your car) using either Microfiber specific detergent or something like Tide-free (no added color or fragrance) WITHOUT fabric softener (will ruin the towels ability to absorb, leaves residue on your paint, and can even scratch), and dry on low heat, air dry, or a combo of both.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Awww come on now, it's a pretty legit question asked in a very nice and appropriate manner.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Awww come on now, it's a pretty legit question asked in a very nice and appropriate manner.
Sorry maybe I used the wrong icon, but I was basically trying to say that I'm interested too. I have those Costco MF towels and have been wondering about using them on the car. So far I have used them on the interior and glass but not the exterior. Therefore I was simply trying to state that I was interested and following along for an answer.

No disrespect intended, sorry if it came across that way. I guess I need to read up on the usage of the icons.

BTW, thanks for the explanation / answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's for the info Mutt. I'll order up some higher end towels while I wait for my car.
      09-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry maybe I used the wrong icon, but I was basically trying to say that I'm interested too. I have those Costco MF towels and have been wondering about using them on the car. So far I have used them on the interior and glass but not the exterior. Therefore I was simply trying to state that I was interested and following along for an answer.

No disrespect intended, sorry if it came across that way. I guess I need to read up on the usage of the icons.

I feel better, I thought you guys didn't like me.
      09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

I've had the Costco ones lint like crazy on me and then by going over and over I've had them mar. They're great for wheels, door jambs and engine stuff just dont like the linting factor for my paint. I get SM Arnold 16x16 all purpose 70/30 blend towels locally at a buck a towel they don't lint and work good for wax/sealant removal and at that price I can afford to use them as shop rags when they start to break down. For plush towels I just search the internet, there's tons of places that sell towels. I love the Poor Boys DMT ones but they are pricey. Like I said previously best WW towels I've found for drying are the DI ones although lots of people like the Megs one too.

I wash using CG MF wash and let them soak in the washer with hot water for 15 to 30 minutes before a full cycle. I use some distilled white vinegar as a rinse aide with an extra rinse cycle. I dry them by laying flat in the garage at home overnight because my kids throw clothes in the dryer to use even if something is in there. As Marc said hot hot hot water to wash long cycle or soak, also the vinegar does soften them up a bit as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I read it wrong and I apologize. No harm no foul - and onto more clean cars

Quote:
That's for the info Mutt. I'll order up some higher end towels while I wait for my car.
Quote:
I feel better, I thought you guys didn't like me.
Not a problem and gl - I look forward to seeing how you keep that factory-new look
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Thanks for ton's of great responses guys, this should benefit anyone else in the future asking these questions.

Mutt- Do you store you Micro-fibers in Zip lock bags?
      09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's best to store them in bags to eliminate the ability for dirt and debris to land on them while they are in storage. If you keep them in some type of container or a grocery bag with no holes you should be fine. Just make sure you are keeping them separated by their use. But try not to leave them out in the open.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

I store mine in a rolling cabinet. The plush ones are together and the all purpose ones with some cheapo ones for other uses in the other drawer. The cheapos are in a large ziplock to keep them seperate. BTW if you have 99 cent stores in your locale they often have 3 gallon ziplocks 3 for .99 which is where i got mine, no need to spend $5 on them they're ziplocks for goodness sake.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Jesus Christ Focus... I just looked at your sig...

With all those past cars... you need to 1. get me a job doing what youre doing and 2. let me detail them.

Sorry to hijack the thread but DAMN
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

It's usually personal preference for the tasks you listed, except for drying. When drying I always use the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel, which is today's daily special if interested. After that I use the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel most commonly for the removal of clay lube, polish, interior cleanings, glass cleaning, leather care, etc. After cleaning the glass with one towel I like to use the DI Microfiber Glass Polishing Towel (Blue) afterward to help buff away any remaining residue, two towels is critical for glass care! For quick detailing, removal of a glaze, sealant or wax I like to use a slightly thicker towel like the DI Microfiber reTHICKulous Towel or the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel. Both are top notch towels that are very thick and plush.

Hope this info helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
It's best to store them in bags to eliminate the ability for dirt and debris to land on them while they are in storage. If you keep them in some type of container or a grocery bag with no holes you should be fine. Just make sure you are keeping them separated by their use. But try not to leave them out in the open.
I agree preserving them is critical so store them some place where they won't collect dust. The DI Accessories Reclosable Storage Bag is a good option as it seals shut and will protect the towels.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've had a bag of Costco for years now. I'm working on daily drivers, not showroom cars, so very minor issues don't bother me much. But I have a routine for how they are used.

Right out of the bag, I rip off the tag and use them for paint contact. After one, POSSIBLY two uses they go into the wash and are used as the preliminary cleaning step for glass (followed by a glass polishing towel) Eventually they get down to door trim and/or 303 on the interior. After a few more washes they usually end their automotive career applying 303 to tires.
Sometime after that, the wife uses them for cleaning the bathroom, floors, and maybe the dog.
Appreciate 0