E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Coolent smell with the Procede

06-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
vishnu_jcw
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vishnu tuned 335i coupe

Coolent smell with the Procede

I am worried, becuase I have been smelling a coolent smell ever since the first time I installed the Procede. I have heard that this could be a leaking head gasket! That really freaks me out. I just thought it was becuase it was running hotter. Shiv please respond to this! Does anyone else notice this? I do love my car, and want to do what is best.

Thanks
      06-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

do you see added white smoke in the exhaust?

too bad there's no dipstick, you should be able to see if the oil/water was mixing
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu_jcw View Post
I am worried, becuase I have been smelling a coolent smell ever since the first time I installed the Procede. I have heard that this could be a leaking head gasket! That really freaks me out. I just thought it was becuase it was running hotter. Shiv please respond to this! Does anyone else notice this? I do love my car, and want to do what is best.

Thanks
I'm not sure what I can say. I have yet to hear of any engine failure caused by a PROcede. And I don't know or believe that you have a headgasket failure. You'd have a lot more problems than just a coolant smell (like smoke out the tailpipe, misfire, idle instability, overheating, boiling noises, etc,.) Chances are that you just a leak in a coolant line somewhere. Take it to the dealership and let them find it.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Could it be that something (perhaps made out of plastic) dropped down into engine during the PROcede install and is now "burning" when the engine heats up?

I know I still have half of my lacerated fingers under my 335’s bonnet, so mine smells like a BBQ.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
[QUOTE=vishnu_jcw;1085682]I am worried, becuase I have been smelling a coolent smell ever since the first time I installed the Procede. I have heard that this could be a leaking head gasket! That really freaks me out. I just thought it was becuase it was running hotter. Shiv please respond to this! Does anyone else notice this? I do love my car, and want to do what is best.

Thanks[/QUOrem

Remove procede and do a noraml driving test to see if ur stuffs still doing it.. that u can say procede. otherwise bring it to the dealership let them look at the long fuel trim term on the ecm...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
do you see added white smoke in the exhaust?

too bad there's no dipstick, you should be able to see if the oil/water was mixing
He can always take a look in his radiator to see if his coolant is clean. If you had a blown headgasket you would be burning a lot of white smoke. I would take a look around in the engine bay, see if anything is wet, you may have a leak. If you can't get anywhere then take the procede out and bring it to the dealer.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I'm not sure what I can say. I have yet to hear of any engine failure caused by a PROcede. And I don't know or believe that you have a headgasket failure. You'd have a lot more problems than just a coolant smell (like smoke out the tailpipe, misfire, idle instability, overheating, boiling noises, etc,.) Chances are that you just a leak in a coolant line somewhere. Take it to the dealership and let them find it.

-shiv
Shiv, by no means am I bashing you or Procede. But if the dealer does find problems, wouldn't that be the end of our warranty? It might not just be leaking coolant, couldn't it be some else more severe?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
Shiv, by no means am I bashing you or Procede. But if the dealer does find problems, wouldn't that be the end of our warranty? It might not just be leaking coolant, couldn't it be some else more severe?
anyone putting something on the car that increases HP by almost 25% with no mechanical mods should be willing to accept the possible warranty implications

I'm sure the guys at vishnu make good stuff, and try hard to make it safe/dependable

but the people who buy/install these products should be aware of warranty complications.

if BMW thought the car would be safe with more HP, they'd give us more HP.

these vehicles are designed to be safe for more than the factory HP, but as you increase HP you reduce the safety factor that the factory has designed to and parts will fail at an increased rate (might be very very minor, but it will be worse than a stock car)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

check your HVAC system too.....you could have damaged a hose for the waterblock and you may be leaking coolant into the AC system.

Just a WAG since I don't even know where the waterblock is.....
      06-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
So what exactly was your plan,

1. Install Procede
2. Never return to dealership again?

Obviously Shiv cant diagnose why you are smelling coolant over the internet. Pretend like you don't have a Procede and this issue came up. What would you do? Obviously take the car to the dealer. So remove the Procede and take her in.

I've noticed there have been a lot of used Procedes hitting the market lately and I think much of it stems from many folks not thinking through the reality of ownership, kind of like folks who buy a puppy because they are so cute but then find there is more to it than just play.

The fact is on average our cars tend to need fairly frequent trips to the dealer. Lots of folks don't like the fact that they have to spend a significant amount of time installing and removing the Procede then wondering if it will be discovered even after being removed. Other folks have no problem with installing/removing the Procede frequently, or don't get too excited about the occasional Limp mode errors. In other words the Procede isn't for everyone and you should really think it through before you buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
vishnu_jcw
United_States
Rep

I don't have any problem removing the Procede. I figured that it was not a big deal, but I also figured that I would use the forum to ask if anyone else is smelling coolant.

BTW- no white smoke. no check engine lights. no limp home mode.

Thanks for all the responses. Especially Shiv!
      06-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

ok here is the real question.... are you low on coolant?

these cars are pretty sensitive about coolant, and if they run low you will get at Coolant light ASAP...

I mean its pretty easy to tell if you are burning coolant. go check your resivor and see if its empty.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
cwilson335i
Rep
Drives: '07-335i

you can also check to see if there is any hydro-carbons in the coolant.
      06-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #14
rabyrab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mine was making smoke thru the exhaust then went into limp mode home, this happened after I ran thru the canyons. I believe the problem is running a procede with the stock exhaust will yield these results for a few of us. I also believe that Shiv should mention this as a disclamer due to the ramifications related to having a Procede.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
If there is smoke coming out of the tailpipe and codes are thrown when you take turns (as you've said to me on several occassions rabyrab), it's safe to say that there was a loose connection somewhere.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
vishnu_jcw
United_States
Rep

sorry to sounds so stupid here, but where is the coolant resovoir?
      06-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

"where is the coolant resovoir?"

There is a diagram illustrating where it is in your owners manual, but it sits right in front of your windshield washer reservoir.
Appreciate 0