Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > RDC/TPMS Short Caused Can Bus freak out

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

RDC/TPMS Short Caused Can Bus freak out

Hey there,
I'm mostly posting this to help others in the future if it happens to them.

So this video was after normal driving one day. The dash decides to freak out with lights etc.
The first trigger was a TPMS light followed by the christmas light display you see a few seconds later.

If something like this happens and you get error codes all over, check for one mentioned the RDC (tpms) system.

I looked into the RDC module (in the wheel well of my particular model), and it had moisture in the module causing shorts.

Anyway, something to check for if anyone else has this happen. I swapped over to FTM and have not had any issues since.

Inside rdc module.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rotorocious; 06-13-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
AoS81097.00
      07-29-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
zimvsdib
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Thank you for posting this. The same thing happened to my car yesterday, even the water pump is failing and transmission errors are popping up.
The car is undrivable!
I'm going to take this module out and take a look because this seems like the only thing that it could be. The car was fine and then it just freaked out on me.

Can i ask you what you did specifically to fix the issue?

I see that replacing the module with a new unit requires coding(i don't know how to code the car beside little carly app coding).

But i also read that you can replace the unit with a used one as long as it has the same software version number. (displayed on the casing).

How do you swap over to FTM? Is this something you can help with?

I appreciate anything you can do to describe the process.
Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
twastheglow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i - '80 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
Thank you for posting this. The same thing happened to my car yesterday, even the water pump is failing and transmission errors are popping up.
The car is undrivable!
I'm going to take this module out and take a look because this seems like the only thing that it could be. The car was fine and then it just freaked out on me.

Can i ask you what you did specifically to fix the issue?

I see that replacing the module with a new unit requires coding(i don't know how to code the car beside little carly app coding).

But i also read that you can replace the unit with a used one as long as it has the same software version number. (displayed on the casing).

How do you swap over to FTM? Is this something you can help with?

I appreciate anything you can do to describe the process.
Thank you very much
I had my TPMS coded out. You need to pull a fuse for the TPMS module in the glove box and have someone code out the system while coding back in the use of FTM. Simple as that. I did it for the ability to run different wheels without needing TPMS sensors, but I’m glad to see I’m also avoiding this possible pitfall in the process.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

+1 To above.
Pretty easy and I love not having to buy a new set of TPMS for my snow tires.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1495676
Appreciate 0