E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Replacing e90 Headlights

12-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
niif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Replacing e90 Headlights

Interested in making the first mod to my car, I have some very amateur concerns.

I want to replace my stock headlights with angel eyes, something like Mike's OSS lights, but I wanted to know if there are any variables I am not already aware of that I need to take into consideration. lci, pre-lci? hid, xenon? etc. I don't even know what most of these terms mean and it just adds to my confusion.

Why do people speak of xenon conversion kits? Aren't xenons just a different type of bulb?

As a teenager my budget is really tight, especially for something so non-essential, and I was hoping for an explanation of exactly what I would need to purchase if I were to swap out my headlights.

Is lux 5 a standard or a bulb? and d1s? If I were to get the led lights would I even need to buy bulbs? I just can't afford any uncertainty.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Well.... What are you trying to do? You will need a set of projector with angel eyes for the OSS conversion, which isn't cheap. Nor are the projectors. Or the HID conversion kit you'll need run them.

I believe there is a lux kit for the halogen lights but if memory serves me right, your halogen lights dont have angel eyes to begin with. So you'll need to start off with a buying the projector housings. LUX 5 is an LED kit that replaces the stock bulb for the angel eyes. It is a replacement bulb while the OSS design lines the entire ring with LEDs.

I'd contact OSS and see what they can do but I'm pretty sure that you need to have lights that already have angel eyes.

Also, any other LED based products you buy will require resistors and such to not throw codes, unless they are already built into the product.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
niif
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I would need to get and HID conversion kit and then upgrade its projectors to angel eyes projectors?

I guess I can't consider the OSS design until I do those upgrades, so I would need to choose a bulb for the angel eyes, correct?

Last edited by niif; 12-20-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Yes. You'll need a set of projectors. They tend to go for $600+. Email MDS82, hes an expert with lighting.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by niif View Post
So I would need to get and HID conversion kit and then upgrade its projectors to angel eyes projectors?

I guess I can't consider the OSS design until I do those upgrades, so I would need to choose a bulb for the angel eyes, correct?
The perfect option for you would be some OEM xenon projector headlights that are PnP. Someone by the name of Andy can help you out with this. He's a member on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 Autohaüs View Post
The perfect option for you would be some OEM xenon projector headlights that are PnP. Someone by the name of Andy can help you out with this. He's a member on this forum.
Thats it, I couldn't remember if it was MDS82 or Andy!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Thats it, I couldn't remember if it was MDS82 or Andy!
Andy is terrible (depending on some factors). My experience: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...73&postcount=9

If you view the whole thread, the post before mine was another bad experience, and there is yet another linked up above. A person did have a good experience though.

All of that said, there are a lot of different options. You can purchase stock xenons US spec Pre LCI, Euro spec pre LCI or LCI. All three options look very different.

Then you need to have them converted to work with your current system, since xenon runs on 35 watt rather than 55 watt. If you are going with pre LCI non bi-xenon then Andy's kit will work fine, though you won't be getting d1s, which may or may not have the right beam pattern in the end.

If you are going LCI it's more money, but then you would not want to use Andy's system if you really want plug and play (explained in my link above).

Then for the angel eyes, you can go with LUX, or OSS, etc. There are a lot of options with varying costs. OSS is about the most you can spend, but look nice. LUX look good and still cost around a couple of hundred bucks. If you go with LUX or any LED/bulb option, what exactly you need as far as bulb type/fitting depends on if you go pre LCI or post. For instance, PRE is LUX 4/5, whereas LCI is LUX h8.

Cheers.
      12-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
niif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there anyone else who can do this besides Andy? I pmed mds/Marc and he also directed me to Andy but said he is banned and that I would have to email him. All of this is giving me the idea that Andy is not the best person to deal with.

Who is Damon and does he do the same work? I also hear plug and play isnt always the best way to go.

I'd prefer to get LCI xenons (euro spec and hid by default?) so that I can upgrade to OSS or LUX afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Is there anyone else who can do this besides Andy? I pmed mds/Marc and he also directed me to Andy but said he is banned and that I would have to email him. All of this is giving me the idea that Andy is not the best person to deal with.

Who is Damon and does he do the same work? I also hear plug and play isnt always the best way to go.

I'd prefer to get LCI xenons (euro spec and hid by default?) so that I can upgrade to OSS or LUX afterwards.

Dont know who Damon is. Somebody else will have to direct you there.

You can pick up the LCI xenons in euro spec which are made for HIDs. You'll then need a HID conversion for your headlights. Then you can ship them on out to OSS.

I thought you had a "budget"?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:

I bought my pre-LCI US spec. kit from Jeff and Damon did the conversion. Jeff and Damon work together.

I paid Andy twice and had issues both times, like sending me something other than what I paid for and the second time, I had to wait several weeks for the package and when it finally arrived, the tabs in the housings were broken.

Finally I bought the kit from Jeff and he had Damon do the conversion for me. It was complete plug and play with functional Bi-xenons, everything works and absolutely no errors. No resistor set-up or error cancelers either.

Jeff and Damon know their customer service and do a good job. I would certainly recommend them. If you need their contact info, pm me.

EDIT: Hey niif, just noticed you're in H-town, what part? I'm about an hour south.

Last edited by rambalu80; 12-30-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
niif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You can pick up the LCI xenons in euro spec which are made for HIDs. You'll then need a HID conversion for your headlights. Then you can ship them on out to OSS.

I thought you had a "budget"?
This is starting to make a lot more sense, but why would I need to convert my existing headlights to HID if I am going to swap them out with LCI xenons that are already HID?

My budget is based on how well I convince my parents that this will benefit my safety, my car's value, etc. They're going to pull the plug if they see any hassle of getting parts, returning parts, installation trouble, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
I bought my kit from Jeff and Damon did the conversion. Jeff and Damon work together.

I paid Andy twice and had issues both times, like sending me something other than what I paid for and the second time, I had to wait several weeks for the package and when it finally arrived, the tabs in the housings were broken.

Finally I bought the kit from Jeff and he had Damon do the conversion for me. It was complete plug and play with functional Bi-xenons, everything works and absolutely no errors. No resistor set-up or error cancelers either.

Jeff and Damon know their customer service and do a good job. I would certainly recommend them. If you need their contact info, pm me.

EDIT: Hey niif, just noticed you're in H-town, what part? I'm about an hour south.
PM sent. That sounds like my best option.

Hey I live in west houston, just inside the beltway. I've passed through Lake Jackson a few times on my way to Freeport. Really nice area down there
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Because it is just the projector housing. Its the entire headlight housing with the lenses which aim the HIDs. Your car will still have halogen bulbs. Which is why you need to do a halogen to xenon conversion. That way you will have HID lights in housings made for HIDs rather then HIDs in halogen housings or halogens in HID housings.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
L Unlimited
Banned
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Because it is just the projector housing. Its the entire headlight housing with the lenses which aim the HIDs. Your car will still have halogen bulbs. Which is why you need to do a halogen to xenon conversion. That way you will have HID lights in housings made for HIDs rather then HIDs in halogen housings or halogens in HID housings.
Good Stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
niif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah, all clear now. Thanks for the info.

Damon is doing the conversion for me and I think I'm going to order Pre-LCI bi-xenons from Jeff. I don't know if I want pre-LCI or LCI yet though.

If anyone is interest I'll be posting updates on the progress.
Thanks for the help everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Damon is doing the conversion for me and I think I'm going to order Pre-LCI bi-xenons from Jeff. I don't know if I want pre-LCI or LCI yet though.

If it's a matter of want, go LCI. Either way though, congrats on the upcoming setup. Xenon makes a huge visibility improvement, believe me!
      12-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Good deal. The LCI is pretty freaken sweet. But then again, euro spec pre-LCI is sick too if you can get your hands on them. Personally, I'd go euro pre-LCI. But its up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Good deal. The LCI is pretty freaken sweet. But then again, euro spec pre-LCI is sick too if you can get your hands on them. Personally, I'd go euro pre-LCI. But its up to you.
i have to agree, pre-LCI euro projectors are just sick.....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
crazed792
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I'm a sucker for the LEDs and style that goes with LCI, but to each their own I guess.
      12-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Hey I live in west houston, just inside the beltway. I've passed through Lake Jackson a few times on my way to Freeport. Really nice area down there
Yeah, it's nice and calm down here, especially w/o all the traffic but could get boring sometimes. Well, Houston is within an hour's drive, so I can't complain.

Quote:

Damon does an excellent job. Installation is really not a big deal after you get the bumper off. Let us know what you end up buying and make sure you post some pics after the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #20
Cincybmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport. Silver

Replacing stock bulbs with hid bulbs

All I want to do is replace my stock yellow bulbs with some hid blue bulbs like the 8000k ones. I have the headlights that don't have the projectors. Mine look like the ones on any regular car, not the xenon ones. I just want to change my color and still have bright bulbs. I ordered a pair off eBay and had them installed but the right bulb flickers and then shuts off after about a minute. Could anyone recommend a pair of bid bulbs that will replace my stock ones and not have any problems ???
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #21
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincybmw View Post
All I want to do is replace my stock yellow bulbs with some hid blue bulbs like the 8000k ones. I have the headlights that don't have the projectors. Mine look like the ones on any regular car, not the xenon ones. I just want to change my color and still have bright bulbs. I ordered a pair off eBay and had them installed but the right bulb flickers and then shuts off after about a minute. Could anyone recommend a pair of bid bulbs that will replace my stock ones and not have any problems ???
Are you looking for a halogen or HID setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincybmw View Post
I don't think it is a wise idea to install xenon bulbs in a halogen housing. Save some dough and get the halogen to xenon conversion (with xenon housing) done!
Appreciate 0