E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 water pump failure.

03-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #89
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Mine took a dump today at 89k
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #90
~(-_-)~
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
did you try resetting the ECU before changing the water pump.

I had mine quit on me a few times when my battery was low.

Car over heated and wouldn't move at all.

took some trial and error but with a BT cable, i got it running again.
I'm curious... I store my car during the winter (Canada) and upon starting the car a few times over the winter the fans went on full speed every time. I usually keep the car on a trickle charger but decided not to this winter and started her up every 2 weeks... Lesson learnt, the battery went low.... I'm hoping I can reset it like you did....tips?

Is this just a quick fix, or should I just change the water pump and call it a day ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #91
mithund
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i GT

Add me to the list guys! Mine went out a couple days ago, $1300+taxes later, I have a new Thermostat and a Waterpump. I called a local shop and they told me it's a very common occurrence in the E90s, how is there no recall on this? That's crazy!! Never getting another BMW again! So disappointed with their quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #92
nc1mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red e90 335i Sport

water pump thermostat r/r

My 03/07 build 335i lasted 95,500 miles and threw no codes. Fan just went super high speed and I could here the pump croaking like a small frog. $600.00 and a DIY 5hrs later I'm back on road.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #93
elig0nzal3z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithund View Post
Add me to the list guys! Mine went out a couple days ago, $1300+taxes later, I have a new Thermostat and a Waterpump. I called a local shop and they told me it's a very common occurrence in the E90s, how is there no recall on this? That's crazy!! Never getting another BMW again! So disappointed with their quality.
with you on that one buddy and just wait till your waste gates start to rattle there only covered till 85,000 after that new turbos it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #94
nsx_modified
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

mine just went 2 days ago. 08' 335i auto, 77k km Same thing, yellow light, then 10 seconds later red light telling me to pull over. I drove 1km to place where I was grabbing lunch and called a flat bed in meantime. Had it towed to my dealer.

Apparently i bought this used and only part of it is covered under CPO. They are replacing my water pump under warranty but Im gonna hafta pay for the thermostat and labor. Quoted me $550, but said will prob be cheaper once they figure everything else that gets warrantied. (usually quotes the highest so customer doesn't get disappointed).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #95
RevALot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Add me to the list

About a 1.5 months ago, I took my car to the dealership who said their diagnostics showed a water-pump failure. I wasn't getting any high temps before they told me this. They told me they replaced the water-pump under CPO, which otherwise would've cost me approximately $1,500.00. I'm grateful, as I had about 150 miles to go before my warranty expired.

Now, it seems like I'm getting high oil-temps. When I check the coolant tank, it looks really low. I gotta take my ride back to dealership to diagnose. If they did add coolant when they replaced the water-pump, I may have a leak because the coolant in the tank appears to be much too low.

I have 102k miles on my e90 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #96
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Mine shat all over me so bad the coolant gadget bubbled so badly it made me a fresh brew of cappachino lol; heat- oil mix due to the engine trying its best to cool down.my car has 110k on it...and the mechanic said the original water pump
Was replaced by an aftermarket one since I've only had my 08 car for two months and when they import cars to Lebanon you can always bet either the is seller or the Beirut port switches shit around- for example- no
6 cd player in my coupe ass...hmm wonder where that went. Certainly at the Beirut port or the importer.

1300 USD later BMW Lebanon got me a new EWP with thermo, plus a change of the heater gasget n filter and hood. But one plus about Lebanon is our labour costs...I may have paid 1300 $ but labor 100$ and that's for two days work. This includeded, coolant flush to remove the oil and gummy white crap from
Over boiling, full coolant clean and bleed, new EWP 12 min bleed start up, installation of the rest of the parts all the way to the under hood.

I can pick up my car tomorow with full garentee by bmwc Indy mechanic if I realise any more oil or coolant leaks.

I don't know why but indynmechanics here are SO experienced bc they have seen it all!

I haven't checked up on my car yet, but I asked him to keep the weird aftermarket AWP on do I can take pics. As I said in certain threads, our cars are beautifully made, but have they thought of the future or just want us to keep their profit and loss sheet up by buying replacements at only 100k.my existing 328is 1997 was perfect, never needed anything but coolant and petrol and oil for 9 years! I guees my car is very complicated and the twin turbo N54 block is very sensitive. But who cares when it drives like a beauty and kills M3's!!! (tuned of course). This car didn't win 5 awards for nothing....
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #97
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Black View Post
Mine shat all over me so bad the coolant gadget bubbled so badly it made me a fresh brew of cappachino lol; heat- oil mix due to the engine trying its best to cool down.my car has 110k on it...and the mechanic said the original water pump
Was replaced by an aftermarket one since I've only had my 08 car for two months and when they import cars to Lebanon you can always bet either the is seller or the Beirut port switches shit around- for example- no
6 cd player in my coupe ass...hmm wonder where that went. Certainly at the Beirut port or the importer.

1300 USD later BMW Lebanon got me a new EWP with thermo, plus a change of the heater gasget n filter and hood. But one plus about Lebanon is our labour costs...I may have paid 1300 $ but labor 100$ and that's for two days work. This includeded, coolant flush to remove the oil and gummy white crap from
Over boiling, full coolant clean and bleed, new EWP 12 min bleed start up, installation of the rest of the parts all the way to the under hood.

I can pick up my car tomorow with full garentee by bmwc Indy mechanic if I realise any more oil or coolant leaks.

I don't know why but indynmechanics here are SO experienced bc they have seen it all!

I haven't checked up on my car yet, but I asked him to keep the weird aftermarket AWP on do I can take pics. As I said in certain threads, our cars are beautifully made, but have they thought of the future or just want us to keep their profit and loss sheet up by buying replacements at only 100k.my existing 328is 1997 was perfect, never needed anything but coolant and petrol and oil for 9 years! I guees my car is very complicated and the twin turbo N54 block is very sensitive. But who cares when it drives like a beauty and kills M3's!!! (tuned of course). This car didn't win 5 awards for nothing....
God I miss the indys in Lebanon, and the low labor rates! The downside is when you want to buy performance parts you have to ship from the US and it becomes very expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #98
Jimrobbington
Rep
Drives: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0t

This is the only thing worrying me about my possible 335xi purchase in the future. Is there a diy on this for a manual trans? Sounds like its not that hard, but you can get raped for it at the dealer. Is there an aftermarket water pump option? Or are you stuck with oem and hoping it doesn't fail for another 10-70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #99
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
God I miss the indys in Lebanon, and the low labor rates! The downside is when you want to buy performance parts you have to ship from the US and it becomes very expensive
Excactly habibi! But there is also another downside- you never get a garentee even after the job and bf u know it a fight starts out! Lol
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #100
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrobbington View Post
This is the only thing worrying me about my possible 335xi purchase in the future. Is there a diy on this for a manual trans? Sounds like its not that hard, but you can get raped for it at the dealer. Is there an aftermarket water pump option? Or are you stuck with oem and hoping it doesn't fail for another 10-70k miles.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...at_package.jpg

This is the one you need and I got the entire package. With this package and if installed precisely you will get 80-100k out of the pump. DON'T go for an aftermarket EWP...as its an essential part of our engines.

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #101
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Mine went out a month ago at 85k. CPO covered it. On test drive 02 sensors went bad, FRM, and a transfer case seal.
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #102
Jimrobbington
Rep

Quote:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...at_package.jpg

This is the one you need and I got the entire package. With this package and if installed precisely you will get 80-100k out of the pump. DON'T go for an aftermarket EWP...as its an essential part of our engines.

BB
Nice, thanks for the link. Are there any manual trans diys for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #103
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Guys I just got my car back )))

Temp is a beauty after 45 mins of super aggressive driving, in stayed at 210 f!!!! It always went upto 240. No leaks, no oil leaks after the new transmission cooler change and very smooth responsiveness. Also, my dial used to go up and down between 1.1-1.3 revs on idle bf, now it's dead on 1.1.

I have put a white mat under my car to see if there are any leaks tomorrow and also will
Check the coolant level.

I also preformed the 12 min EWP procedure via the OBD2 as its new and all is well. Everything has been flushed from the radiator, no more white gung contamination and happy until now. Let's see tomorrow of any leaks from below or from coolant chamber.

By the way, I never knew continental made oem BMW EWP...unless its a diff company that the tire company. But it's stamped with BMW all over.

Even the cars response is better while fillipin my SSG's. If I encounter any issues with the ome kit I will be sure to update

Thanks,

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #104
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Excactly habibi! But there is also another downside- you never get a garentee even after the job and bf u know it a fight starts out! Lol
it happened to me a couple of times lol

i eventually settled on one shop and became friends with the owner. He is a cool guy and ever since I've had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #105
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nice, thanks for the link. Are there any manual trans diys for this?
Apologies just saw your post and didn't refresh my iPhone. TBH this question is for the big boys to answer. Considering we ALL have a EWP and thermo...., I would assume its the same
Job. But I belive your looking for a DIY or you tube video. Well there's a lovely DIY thread on here for the change regardless of the tranny. Lete try and find it and get back to you....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #106
Jimrobbington
Rep

I saw a diy for an auto trans, but they almost inferred that it might be different than manual?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #107
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I saw a diy for an auto trans, but they almost inferred that it might be different than manual?
Search the forum and u will find it. Regarding the diff btw stepT and Manual, I'll leave that question to the colonels 😜
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #108
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****ed4v View Post
My pump just went last week also, 58k miles 08 335xi. Had the dealer do the pump-injectors-02 sensor. Thank god was cpo and warrenty untill 100k
just curiosity, mine hasnt failed yet and its FBO, do you possibly know if they would avoid warranty for my water pump? mines also CPO until 100k
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #109
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
just curiosity, mine hasnt failed yet and its FBO, do you possibly know if they would avoid warranty for my water pump? mines also CPO until 100k
We'll depends what FBO mods you've done. A DCI AF should be fine...anything else that throws codes and you may have to revise what you have ;ex-⛽meth, ♨piggybacks apart from Turbo tuner as I've read many posts that the company worked with BMW to make it warranty unvoided. I'm sure if you list what you have as I'm using my iPhone other members can list what is or isn't going to be an issue. Also, it depends on your relationship with the shop owner...

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #110
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Mine Too!! $@#!

Add me to the list. Driving on the Parkway. Got the yellow light, got the red light warning stuck on the road. Had to have it flatbedded to the dealership. Having the waterpump and thermo replaced as we speak. $1500!! I got 59,000K on the car. Seems like 60K is the magic number for these to crap out. Totally sucks. I am out of warranty. $hit out of luck I guess. Thanks BMW!
Appreciate 0