E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mike/Terry, can you please join this discussion?

03-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #1651
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Those timing drops are somewhat random in nature, vary with time under load, heat, etc. Just becuase you changed the offset does not necessarily mean that it reduced the likelihood for the drop. But either way I'm sure you're pleased to see the CPS feature will very soon be available with the JB4 as well.

Mike
I'm actually embarassed for you.

What an inappropriate and feeble attempt at selling your product.

Happy to see BMS copying a feature they have been criticizing all along? But then that's par for the course with you guys.

Backing off timing actually does reduce the likelihood of timing drops It's pretty fundamental and my logs show this over and over. This is not a one-off.

Why should I believe you and not my own data? I explained my position previously to you in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=183

Remember when controlling the throttle plate was smoke and mirrors and compromised DME safety mechanisms?

Let me refresh your memory.........this is a log that Terry posted on N54 showing throttle closure with a stock configuration.

Why?

He claimed back then that keepiing the throttle plate fully open was unecessary and compromised safety.

That was about the same time that Rixster pm'd me about this issue.

That was about the same time Rixster stopped selling JB products.

That was also about the same time that I switched tunes because I found little credibility in the claims that BMS was making about their competitors since they would just turn around and copy their features.

Same old same old.

Last edited by Ilma; 03-06-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #1652
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Those timing drops are somewhat random in nature, vary with time under load, heat, etc. Just becuase you changed the offset does not necessarily mean that it reduced the likelihood for the drop. But either way I'm sure you're pleased to see the CPS feature will very soon be available with the JB4 as well.
I'm still not convinced that CTCV (cylinder-to-cylinder-variation) might explain some of this.

Does anyone have logs as to what misfires (or mild misfires in a couple cylinders) do to timing?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #1653
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Cobb needs to hurry with their 07 release.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #1654
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Why should I believe you and not my own data? I explained my position previously to you in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=183
I'm not sure exactly, but wanted to clarify the Procede and autotune. I think autotune is based on average advance of cylinder 1, and NOT knock events. So Procede does not need harmful events to determine settings and if there are short, long term trims it continues looking for a good overall curve.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #1655
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I'm going to post a couple of logs you have seen before where I changed my CPS offset from 1.8 degrees in the first graph to 2.8 in the second.

They show the impact of introducing 1 additional degree of timing offset while using 98 octane gas........much higher octane than 93 that Terry states will see no benefit of CPS.

Point of story is you can actually end up with more overall advance by avoiding a knock event to adjust your timing curve for you.

You should have posted this about 77 pages ago
Appreciate 0