E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Downpipe install DIY

05-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Downpipe install DIY

I've been looking at DIY's for this on here and youtube. Seems pretty straight forward.

Just wondering if anyone has any extra advice of what to do / not to do.

Cheers
      05-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
000ooo000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

It's pretty simple on non xdrive so lucky you. At least for me the worst part was all the stupid rusted bolts/o2 sensors. Maybe you live in a less salty place but if you have trouble with that you're going to want some penetrating oil and a torch (the good one, like ts4000 or ts8000 or whatever).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

DIYs guides and youtube installs are useless, they are all LHD installs. We have a steering rack which makes downpipe diys very difficult if you don't have the correct plan of attack. If you're doing it on jackstands unbolting the subframe makes things so much easier.

I can get the subframe dropped in half an hour with air tools so its well worth it to save you some grief.

My method is

- Remove cowl and engine cover plastics
- Disconnect the front o2 sensor plugs on top of engine and unclip the o2 wiring
- Jack up car
- Remove engine undertray
- Remove sway bar
- Disconnect front V brace (only applies to 3 series)
- Unplug and unclip the wiring for rear o2 sensors on the transmission
- Disconnect exhaust
- Unlock telescopic steering wheel and push all the way forward (alternatively simply unbolt the steering shaft from the firewall, need new bolt or reinstall with loctite)
- Disconnect steering rack bolts
- Support engine with engine support brace, or floor jack on the oil pan (highly recommend support brace for safety)
- Remove harness plug for headlight leveling sensor (left side)
- Disconnect the 6 subframe bolts and let it hang
- Remove harness plug for servotronic/active steering on steering rack if harness is too short to allow rack to drop down enough (active steering or servotronic cars only)
- Disconnect Vband and remove downpipes, may need to disconnect front o2 sensors first to access the vbands, leave rear o2s on and take the downpipes out.
- Remove bank 1 downpipe first, bank 2 second
- Install rear o2s on the downpipes, grey cable on rear downpipe (bank 2) black cable on front downpipe (bank 1)
- Install bank 2 downpipe first, get the vband on but do not tighten, leave primary o2 sensor off for now. Orient the clamp so it can be adjusted easily but not fouling on the wastegate actuator.
- install bank 1 downpipe, install vband but not tight
- Should be able to adjust the downpipes, line them up wit hthe exhaust's flanges for a ball park. Make sure adequate clearance for bank 1 downpipe and the engine mount bracket or oil pan, then space out the bank 2 downpipe so it doesn't touch the bank 1 downpipe or touch the rubber engine mount.
- Tighten vbands, restinall o2 sensors. Black for bank 1, grey for bank 2

Reinstall the rest of the stuff, if you've done it a few times will be around 3-4 or so hours, longer if the downpipes dont fit well and you need to spend more time adjusting. First timer add on another couple hours maybe.

While it is certainly possible to do it without dropping the subframe, it is much more difficult and you can spend forever trying to get the vbands on, especially if the downpipes don't fit well. With the subframe dropped, the job isnt difficult at all, just takes time and I beleive any competent DIYer would be able to do it without too much swearing. An engine brace costs $85, well worth the money

Last edited by vtl; 05-23-2018 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
Socket4524.50
BSG33528.50
      05-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the informative guide!
Would doing it on a lift still require dropping the subframe?
      05-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Doing it on a lift makes things a lot easier, and while shops do this everyday without dropping the subframe, you're probably still going to save time overall lowering the subframe for access unless you done a lot of them.
      05-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

U need midget hands to do this best. Assuming u don't and thus is ur first time. Patience will be ur best friend.

Best advice is to do with someone who has done it previously.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Completed the install this weekend, overall wasn't too difficult. Just time and patience like everyone was saying...I only swore a few times!

Definitely having another set of hands helped out a lot.
      08-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Completed the install this weekend, overall wasn't too difficult. Just time and patience like everyone was saying...I only swore a few times!

Definitely having another set of hands helped out a lot.
Nice work mate.

How does it go and sound? Have you gone to Stage 2/2+?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1275 View Post
Nice work mate.

How does it go and sound? Have you gone to Stage 2/2+?
Haven't been able to get a good pull yet due to weather! but it feels pretty good. Sounds a bit louder as well, can really hear the turbo spool now.

I flashed 2+ did a small pull and got a misfire so I flashed back to 1+
I think its the spark plugs even though I replaced the coils and plugs less then a year ago. They're Bosch plugs and I figure I need to get the NGK 1 step colder plugs.